Xantia ECU/Immobiliser (expensive misery)

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Steven Williamson
My Cars:

Xantia ECU/Immobiliser (expensive misery)

Post by Steven Williamson »

I have just replaced the ECU on my 93 Xantia, following the advice of the part supplier (BBA-reman) I disconnected the keypad and joy the car started. I then decided that I would reconnect the keypad with the intention of resetting the code (as the Citroen handbook), unfotunately it appears that I have now locked the new ECU because the keypad is faulty. The question is, if I replace the keypad is there any chance that either the new, or even the original, ECU can be unlocked/reprogrammed.
I would be grateful for any advice which doesn't mean buying yet another ECU (££££'s)
p.s thanks Dave for the advice on BBA-reman.
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Hi Steven, there might be a chance that both ecu's could be recovered but it would require the testing of the keypad, who knows where you could get that done, only by understanding the nature of the keypad fault might it be possible, if for instance when you punched the number 2 key but for some strange reason it had caused the value of the number 3 key to be used or whatever, wether this is a possibility I don't know but the repairers of ecu's should be able to re-program the eprom with a new code, don't know if they would do that or if they would want to charge the full wack for another unit, I don't care what anyone says about the reliability of electronics, if you ask me they are the most unreliable part of any car and the most difficult things to deal with when they go wrong.
You have my sympathy and I hope someone will help you out without it costing you your other arm.
Dave
neilminto

Post by neilminto »

No idea on this one, but I feel for you!
As the man says, D'oh!!
Steven Williamson
My Cars:

Post by Steven Williamson »

Thought that you might like to know that I managed to get the car running, the new ECU (which is stated as having no code) was programmed with the code 0000. Local garage reckoned that new cars come with code 1111 and the handbook implies that new cars come with code 0001. Simple really!!
Much relieved, thanks for the help.
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
I have just replaced the ECU on my 93 Xantia, following the advice of the part supplier (BBA-reman) I disconnected the keypad and joy the car started. I then decided that I would reconnect the keypad with the intention of resetting the code (as the Citroen handbook), unfotunately it appears that I have now locked the new ECU because the keypad is faulty. The question is, if I replace the keypad is there any chance that either the new, or even the original, ECU can be unlocked/reprogrammed.
I would be grateful for any advice which doesn't mean buying yet another ECU (££££'s)
p.s thanks Dave for the advice on BBA-reman.

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size=2 id=quote>