RD45 questions + Microphone installation C5 X7 + Amplifier installation

This unit is the RD4 or RD45 system, made by Continental.
Usually standard equipment unless another system is specified as an option. There are Single & Dual Tuner versions. RD45 features over the RD4: The RD45 has USB connectivity & integrated Bluetooth module supporting Phone & Audio Streaming.

Moderator: GiveMeABreak

EDC5
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Citroen C5 RHR AM6

Re: RD45 questions + Microphone installation C5 X7 + Amplifier installation

Post by EDC5 »

Xantippa wrote: 02 Aug 2017, 15:47
EDC5 wrote: 02 Aug 2017, 10:21
Xantippa wrote: 02 Aug 2017, 07:01 I think 65mm deep goes fine. I had Rainbow Audio 6,5" speakers on C5 X7 which were that deep. You have to cut out that plastic cup behind speaker though, but that's easily done.

Thats great, thanks for the info, would you reccomend any speakers over the JBL ones I chose? Obviously those rainbow speakers look pretty good but a are a bit more pricey. I've known JBL to be a good brand so I'm going off that really... thats probably not the best reason :lol:

Since it's a 80W RMS amp should I get at least 80W speakers?

Did you havbe trouble getting the door card off and more importantly back on?

Did you upgrade the wires to the speaker or use the preinstalled wires?

did you install an amplifier too or use the stock headunit?

Sory for the 20Q but the more info I have the better :)

Those Rainbow's were fine, I think you can get pretty decent set from them below 200€. I haven't had any JBL's ever, so can't say anything about them.

Don't worry about wattage ratings at all, that's the least important spec on speakers.

Getting the door card off was pretty easy with instructions. Be prepared that many of those plastic clips break when dismantling, but you can get new ones from shop easily.

I used preinstalled wires, it seemed quite difficult to install new wires.

I had 6ch JL-Audio XD-amplifier running my system (2-way active front and subwoofer in the trunk inside spare wheel) and changed HU to Kenwood DSP-model. It looked ugly and had bad display, but sound was good.

Sounds like an excellent system you had there!

I will do some research on speakers as I don't know what to look fro regarding specification to be honest.

I've considered a sub in the boot but with the saloon model surely you don't hear anything in the front of the car?

Got home and opened the package:

Build quality looks excellent. Very hefty power traces, got a lot of confidence in it.

Yes, that is an old pc PSU... it can only put out 15A but that's more than enough for testing... got it driving a pair of 6 ohm bookshelf speakers currently, really clear sound, very impressed. I cant wait to get it in the C5.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Just let me know when you've hooked it up and I'll let you know if I can hear it down here :-D
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

Speakers should be higher rated than the amp to prevent distortion and damege. With 80w amp I'd suggest 100 to 125w speakers.

Installing the amp in a confined space I'd also suggest cutting some air holes and installing a little fan like a pc fan unless the amp already has one internally.
EDC5
(Donor 2020)

Post by EDC5 »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 02 Aug 2017, 22:19 Just let me know when you've hooked it up and I'll let you know if I can hear it down here :-D

Haha, I'll send a pair of ear muffs too :lol:

Well, I've spent a while looking and I am none the wiser, it seems that price is the most important variable in quality.

Unless someone can tell me why this would be a bad idea I'm probably going to buy two sets of these: JBL GTO-609C

http://uk.jbl.com/car-audio-systems/GTO ... ck#start=1

elma wrote: 02 Aug 2017, 23:07 Speakers should be higher rated than the amp to prevent distortion and damege. With 80w amp I'd suggest 100 to 125w speakers.

Installing the amp in a confined space I'd also suggest cutting some air holes and installing a little fan like a pc fan unless the amp already has one internally.
The website claims a max RMS of 200w... os even if they were exaggerating two fold it would be plenty :^o

Only gripe is the 3 ohm impedance, would limit me in future if I wanted to run them in parallel as the amp has a 2 ohm minimum.... and 6 ohms in series would limit power.

I've also got my 18 core cable and my quadlock connector ready to link the Amp in the boot to the back of the RD45.
Xantippa
My Cars: Now:
C5 X7 HDi 240 Exclusive Tourer
ZOE 22kwh Intense
Before:
C4 1,6 Coupe Automatic
C5 X7 HDi136 Exclusive Sedan A
Xantia HDi110 Berline
Xantia 1,8SX Berline

Post by Xantippa »

I wouldn't upgrade rear-speakers at all. Buy better set in the front, and subwoofer in the trunk. Just mute rear-speakers normally, and if you have someone on board in the back, then you just turn up rear speakers.

And you can hear subwoofer easily from the trunk. Here's enclosure: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Citroen-C5-2-Se ... SwCU1YpF4b
EDC5
(Donor 2020)

Post by EDC5 »

Very interesting, that rear subwoofer enclosure looks just the job!

I'm even more confused now haha. Looks like I'm going to need to do a bit more research into what component speakers to get for the front at least. It seems difficult as all user reviews for most speakers are 5 stars and finding actual reviews is difficult :(
Xantippa
ZOE 22kwh Intense
Before:
C4 1,6 Coupe Automatic
Xantia HDi110 Berline
Xantia 1,8SX Berline

Post by Xantippa »

elma wrote: 02 Aug 2017, 23:07 Speakers should be higher rated than the amp to prevent distortion and damege. With 80w amp I'd suggest 100 to 125w speakers.

Sorry, but that's not true. Most common way to destroy speakers is to use too small amplifier and play it too loud (at and over clipping level). When 20w amp is trying to give out 500w, it gives a lot of distortion, and it will break nearly any tweeter. Best way to protect speakers is to use powerfull enough amp that never gives out distortion at normal listening levels.

So 80w amp with 80w speakers will do fine as long as you're not trying to play it way too loud. And if you drive amp to distortion badly, 125w speakers won't last any longer than 80w. Anyone with normal hearing will know when amp is clipping.

This set won finnish car audio magazines (Autosound) component series test on 2013 (price range 200-400€) and it's most sold series here in Finland: http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/rainbow ... peaker-set You can buy it from Finland at 179€, so I think you can get it cheaper from UK too.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Of course Elis, if you had the Exclusive Plus Trim, then just hit the "LG" button on the dash, rear seats drop and bingo - problem solved :-D
Los Gigantes
Los Gigantes
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
EDC5
(Donor 2020)

Post by EDC5 »

Xantippa wrote: 03 Aug 2017, 19:49

Sorry, but that's not true. Most common way to destroy speakers is to use too small amplifier and play it too loud (at and over clipping level). When 20w amp is trying to give out 500w, it gives a lot of distortion, and it will break nearly any tweeter. Best way to protect speakers is to use powerfull enough amp that never gives out distortion at normal listening levels.

So 80w amp with 80w speakers will do fine as long as you're not trying to play it way too loud. And if you drive amp to distortion badly, 125w speakers won't last any longer than 80w. Anyone with normal hearing will know when amp is clipping.

This set won finnish car audio magazines (Autosound) component series test on 2013 (price range 200-400€) and it's most sold series here in Finland: http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/rainbow ... peaker-set You can buy it from Finland at 179€, so I think you can get it cheaper from UK too.

Thanks for that, I've looked those speakers up and they do seem really good, but can't seem to find them for less than £200. Ideally that's what I wanted to spend on the entire setup (amp and speakers) :lol: but as usual the more research I do the more expensive components I desire (£160) amp.... So maybe £120 for each set of speakers I think should be more than enough.

I think I will go for these: Focal access 165AS,

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/speaker ... nt-speaker

They seem to do well in this review and seem about half of the price.

http://carspeakerspro.com/reviews/top-r ... -speakers/

GiveMeABreak wrote: 03 Aug 2017, 20:52 Of course Elis, if you had the Exclusive Plus Trim, then just hit the "LG" button on the dash, rears seats drop and bingo - problem solved :-D
Los Gigantes 4 Peice.png
Haha.... obviously another vital optional extra the original owner of my C5 was too tight to opt for :rofl2:
Xantippa
ZOE 22kwh Intense
Before:
C4 1,6 Coupe Automatic
Xantia HDi110 Berline
Xantia 1,8SX Berline

Post by Xantippa »

That Focal should be fine set. Then you find some nice 10" sub for that enclosure I linked. Keep in mind that it's only 15 liters...
EDC5
(Donor 2020)

Post by EDC5 »

Thanks :) I must confess that in the end I went with the slightly better Focal PS165's .... I couldn't resist :lol:

Looking forward to their arrival now!
Xantippa wrote: 04 Aug 2017, 13:30 Then you find some nice 10" sub for that enclosure I linked. Keep in mind that it's only 15 liters...

If you don't mind explaining, what is the importance of the volume of the sub enclosure?
Xantippa
ZOE 22kwh Intense
Before:
C4 1,6 Coupe Automatic
Xantia HDi110 Berline
Xantia 1,8SX Berline

Post by Xantippa »

Each subwoofer has got optimum enclosure in which it works best. Generally cheaper ones require bigger enclosure. For 10" sub 15l isn't much, but if you're ready to invest over 100€ for sub, then you'll find one that suits.
EDC5
(Donor 2020)

Post by EDC5 »

Xantippa wrote: 04 Aug 2017, 19:43 Each subwoofer has got optimum enclosure in which it works best. Generally cheaper ones require bigger enclosure. For 10" sub 15l isn't much, but if you're ready to invest over 100€ for sub, then you'll find one that suits.

That’s interesting, I’ll definitely look into that, depends if I feel the need with the new speakers... and I think we all know the answer to that... 8-)

Sorry for the pause, I've been on holiday, but am back and more determined than ever!

I'm going to give mounting the amplifier a go tomorrow, I've decided to put it in the drivers side rear boot cavity and wire to the front. (leaving the possibility of the big sub install hehe ) Still not sure what the best route from front to back is wiring wise as I’ve got a pretty thick 18 core wire to hide somewhere. maybe a lot of trim is going to have to be removed and replaced to hide the cable.... we will find out.

The grey stuff is the 18 core wire that will carry the audio to and from the amplifier. I'll splice it in line using the quad lock extension so I wont have to touch the factory wiring.
The blue and green/yellow cable is 6mm^2 power cable, that will run to the front fuse box, and also to a convenient chassis earth post.

Wish me luck.... :o
Xantippa
ZOE 22kwh Intense
Before:
C4 1,6 Coupe Automatic
Xantia HDi110 Berline
Xantia 1,8SX Berline

Post by Xantippa »

Otherwise good plan, but that power cable is way too thin. It should be 16mm2 at minimum. And you should really run it all the way to the battery (remember 50A fuse).

On maximum depth of front speakers, at finnish citroen forum one guy just installed Blam speakers that are 74mm deep in the front doors. With a little spacing ring they went in place just fine.
EDC5
(Donor 2020)

Post by EDC5 »

Xantippa wrote: 13 Aug 2017, 08:55 Otherwise good plan, but that power cable is way too thin. It should be 16mm2 at minimum. And you should really run it all the way to the battery (remember 50A fuse).

On maximum depth of front speakers, at finnish citroen forum one guy just installed Blam speakers that are 74mm deep in the front doors. With a little spacing ring they went in place just fine.
Good to know that the speakers will fit when they arrive. We will see regarding the power supply cable however I can't see a situation where I will be pulling more than 50A myself.

Well lads.... it's been a long day, I started around 1:30 so it's my own fault but I've only just finished....

So, heres how it went.

First off, wrestled the trim off, luckily only managed to bust one clip so I'll take that as a victory :lol:
Notice the cable trays all ready and waiting for my cable.... It's as if the car is trying to help me....

First problem..... what do we have here?

Some dodgy aftermarket parking sensors for the front... I had been meaning to remove it for a while and now was my chance.. out it came with all the dodgy wires and connections.

Then on to creating the main cable harness. I soldered the 8 speaker wires from the head unit and also the 8 return amplified cables in line with the quadlock extension I had.

On to the feeding of the cable: I tried many ways of getting from the radio cavity to the area behind the steering column but it was almost impossible.... In the end I managed to squeeze it down the side of the console following another loom cable.

I reeled it through and then began routing the cable through the sil cable tray to the boot area.

Perfect fit! :P

Quick test with an old Xbox 360 power supply and everything seems to work... sound significantly better, even with the stock speakers.

On to the mounting of the amplifier... not many pictures here.. it was getting dark and I was getting tired :(

I made a bracket that attached to a piece of stud already in the cavity. I also used foam to support the Amp... I know ideally it needs more support but that’s all it was getting....

So after stuffing the head unit back in ( took a while to wiggle the wires to make room for the quadlock extension) I terminated all of the wires again.

At this point it was dark so I've turned in for the night... but I had to test the system again....

I don't recommend this of course... but I found a hefty +12v supply and shoved the power cable in... Joy of joys it all works!

So, tasks left to do include properly terminating the power lead and finding or making a cover for the cavity in the boot to hide the Amp.... oh, and fit the new speakers which are on their way.

Akk in all a lot of fiddly stuff... but glad it's (nearly) done!

Just an interesting note... Pin 11 on the reverse of the RD45 unit goes live whenever the headunit is turned on, I wired this directly to the remote turn on pin of the Amp and it works with little fuss :wink: