Discontinuation of Tapatalk Support

Forum News, Announcements and any issues you're having with the forum

Moderator: myglaren

elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Re: Discontinuation of Tapatalk Support

Post by elma »

Yep, this is old and boring now.
Internets a big place, feel free to take the nastiness else where.
It sounds like the forums not busy enough for you and you don't like the regular posters anyway.
Why on Earth are you still here?
Admins are just members who step up to do this for everyone, you've probably just put off the next few.
Just accept they make the decisions to run the place, that is how it is.
Members get input where possible and in this case it isn't.
Get over it or leave peacefully, you're losing all respect fast now.
superloopy
My Cars:

Re: RE: Re: Discontinuation of Tapatalk Support

Post by superloopy »

elma wrote:..... they make the decisions to run the place, that is how it is.
That sums it up in a nutshell. As for respect .. do the membership count for nothing when decisions are being made by admins. Seems that way to me. We need a more democratic forum. There's not that many of us anymore so shouldnt take too much effort to come up with a collective decision making process which leaves the admin to do just that. I forget to mention in my list of forum 'achievements' introduced by our new admin regime the introduction of the 'Like' radio button ... we all got a say in whether we wanted that little gem. Or did we?

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk
Mike

Xantia Activa Dante Red MK1 (96) 121k - SORN, to be broken
Xantia Activa Silex Grey MK2 (98) 120k -SORN, ditto
Xantia V6 Silex Grey MK2 (98) 95k - non-runner
Xantia TD Storm Grey MK1 (95) 95k - non-runner
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

xantiamanic wrote:
elma wrote:..... they make the decisions to run the place, that is how it is.
That sums it up in a nutshell. As for respect .. do the membership count for nothing when decisions are being made by admins. Seems that way to me. We need a more democratic forum. There's not that many of us anymore so shouldnt take too much effort to come up with a collective decision making process which leaves the admin to do just that. I forget to mention in my list of forum 'achievements' introduced by our new admin regime the introduction of the 'Like' radio button ... we all got a say in whether we wanted that little gem. Or did we?

There's a simple answer to that, go and set one up yourself.

Watching your recent posts reminds me of the kid in the supermarket aisle screaming "I want it and I want it NOW."
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

xantiamanic wrote: I forget to mention in my list of forum 'achievements' introduced by our new admin regime the introduction of the 'Like' radio button ... we all got a say in whether we wanted that little gem. Or did we?

I think that the "Northerner" below is xantiamaniac under a different alias (back in 2016):
Northerner wrote:
xantia_v6 wrote:
Northerner wrote:I'm still not convinced that there's a need for any of this on our forum and the fact that we can choose not to participate seems only to confirm my view. Did anyone REALLY ask for this and were the views of forum members canvassed?
Does anyone really need to know when a post of his/hers is 'like'd by anyone and if so can i ask WHY other than for self gratification.

I, for one, do not 'LIKE' it. It looks and feels 'kid-ish' and unless we are about to launch a recruitment drive to attract the next generation of just out of short trouser schoolkids can see no use for it at all here. It's the FB and twitterati crowd who 'like' to 'like' just because they have a button and can ...
For all of your ranting, I see that you really like the new feature, as you have not disabled it on your profile. :rofl2:
It will be [emoji107] as soon as i get PC access, dont worry. I'm on TT today. A lot of time expended for nothing as far as i'm concerned. And still nobody can justify why exactly it has been introduced. Answer me that. Although, on second thoughts maybe i wont switch it off, that being work on my behalf to disable a feature i do not want. As i normally like all posts i read i could just 'like' each and every post and play the game like the kids do eh!

It seems that you never did get around to disabling it, you seem to be asking for punishment.
elma

Post by elma »

Gibbo2286 wrote:
There's a simple answer to that, go and set one up yourself.

Watching your recent posts reminds me of the kid in the supermarket aisle screaming "I want it and I want it NOW."
=D> =D> =D> =D>
Well said.

This forum still massively echoes the original ideas of Alan S, of course it's evolved slightly as php evolves and so do the members.
Some things I don't like, but accept as they are necessary to keep the forum alive and kicking.
All this talk of democracy is futile, members get to give their input and even vote where it is feasible, the fact that this topic is open rather than locked speaks volumes in this case.
For the main part members have no idea of all the little tweaks going into keeping the forum running correctly.
Now that the forum takes money for stickers security is a far greater concern.
A single person footed the bills for running costs for some time before it was like this, if you fancy doing that yourself then maybe you can sway the Admins decision, if not then you've had your say and are just alienating people that used to respect you.
Remember you did agree to accept the Admins decision, which is final, when you joined.
Last edited by elma on 29 May 2017, 10:20, edited 1 time in total.
ekjdm14
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: '95 Xantia 1.9D automatic - 109k one of two remaining
'03 206 GTi180 - 97k in pieces being brought back up to snuff
'03 206 1.9TD - home-built veg-fuelled B-road bruiser
'99 306 SE 2.0i cabriolet - 92k awaiting service work ready for next summer
'97 306 XS 1.6i 3 door, Bianca White, from dead 12 years & seized solid to road legal in 7 days

Post by ekjdm14 »

I "dislike" the direction this manic northerner seems to have taken. I second Gibbo's suggestion that they start their own forum & then all those who feel it's better than this one can go on there instead. I would personally welcome said member's absence from this forum given their current tone.
'95 Xantia LX 1.9D-auto, Black, 109k
'03 206 GTi180 94k in surgery
'03 206 1.1S XUD9TE/veg project :mrgreen:
'99 306 2.0SE cabriolet 95k summer toy
'97 306 XS 1.6i 99k sat 12 years, fixed in 7 days, 150mile maiden voyage :rofl2:
elma

Post by elma »

If we're going all democratic can we take a vote on banning them?
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

elma wrote:If we're going all democratic can we take a vote on banning them?

That would be a sweet irony.
If he doesn't become more civil and less disruptive then I think that the majority of forum users would be happy if he is given a cooling-off ban of 30 days.
That is another warning.
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

We don't have a Junk box, do we...?
Chris
wurlycorner
My Cars: Two C5's...
Lots of CXs...
A couple of Xantia...
A C2...
Lots of Prelude's...
And a Sunny!

Post by wurlycorner »

Not had the time to be active on the forum much this year unfortunately, but just dropped in for a quick catch up and gosh! I can see it's been nice and lively on here :lol:

I find admin are rather more 'active' on this forum than on many of the others I frequent and many of the ways it is run are rather formal (I am a mod on other forums but decided that the the advert/job description/prescriptive requirements for a new mod that I read last year on here was so... OTT that I had zero interest in applying!) however I equally don't know of another forum that would have continued to tolerate northerner/whatevernewforumnamehechangestoeverysooften for all these years! So, hey ho and I'm not gonna get into criticising the choice of the guys on here to run it in that way (it doesn't really cause me any intrusive problems).

As for democratic voting on user bans (don't worry elma, I know you meant it tongue in cheek!) public lynch mobs generally aren't a good/fair/sustainable way of doing things either :wink: they usually just allow these things to turn into a place full of little 'cliques' or a bully's playground.

Anyway, back OT...
I did actually find the general questions around Tapatalk raised here, interesting.
Personally I hate tapatalk but know a lot of people find it useful. I'm absolutely not a prescriber to software forcing you to give up all security rights (that's just being too plain lazy to write decent code on their part imo) but I'm equally as much not a prescriber to the IT answer that some organisations apply of 'screw the user functionality just lock absolutely everything down' (I am currently placed with a company at the moment that does that and my god I am so glad I have continued to use my own companies IT instead of theirs). I've asked in the mod/admins section on another forum, what their views/thoughts are of tapatalk and how they manage the security aspects of it.
--
Iain

1x '85 CX GTi Turbo s1 (metallic blue)
2x '85 CX GTi Turbo s2 t1 (metallic silver & grey)
'88 CX GTi Turbo s2 T2 (metallic light blue)
CX DTR T2 Safari (silver)
2x '96 Xantia Activa (Black & metallic green)
'01 C5 2.0 HDi LX Estate (Blue)
elma

Post by elma »

wurlycorner wrote: As for democratic voting on user bans (don't worry elma, I know you meant it tongue in cheek!) public lynch mobs generally aren't a good/fair/sustainable way of doing things either :wink: they usually just allow these things to turn into a place full of little 'cliques' or a bully's playground.

Yep, totally tounge in cheek.
Wouldn't be wise to start a policy like that.
Bans are rare on here, I only gave out one that I can remember when I was a mod.
Just my own way of highlighting some things can be democratic and others cannot.
superloopy
My Cars:

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Discontinuation of Tapatalk Support

Post by superloopy »

xantia_v6 wrote:
xantiamanic wrote: I forget to mention in my list of forum 'achievements' introduced by our new admin regime the introduction of the 'Like' radio button ... we all got a say in whether we wanted that little gem. Or did we?

I think that the "Northerner" below is xantiamaniac under a different alias (back in 2016):
Northerner wrote:
xantia_v6 wrote: For all of your ranting, I see that you really like the new feature, as you have not disabled it on your profile. :rofl2:
It will be [emoji107] as soon as i get PC access, dont worry. I'm on TT today. A lot of time expended for nothing as far as i'm concerned. And still nobody can justify why exactly it has been introduced. Answer me that. Although, on second thoughts maybe i wont switch it off, that being work on my behalf to disable a feature i do not want. As i normally like all posts i read i could just 'like' each and every post and play the game like the kids do eh!

It seems that you never did get around to disabling it, you seem to be asking for punishment.
You 'think' eh ... no need for all the forensic background detective work, just ask away although i'm sure i did request that ex-identity and all associated messages to be deleted or maybe it was just a simple allowable name change. Maybe you can confirm this, just dig a little further. Yes, 'Northerner', 'superloopy' and 'superloopy1' are all my aka. On a positive note, good to see that my position on forum management hasn't changed that much over the years [emoji39] and that indeed i couldn't be bothered to switch it off ...

Mike

Xantia Activa Dante Red MK1 (96) 121k - SORN, to be broken
Xantia Activa Silex Grey MK2 (98) 120k -SORN, ditto
Xantia V6 Silex Grey MK2 (98) 95k - non-runner
Xantia TD Storm Grey MK1 (95) 95k - non-runner
elma

Post by elma »

Just amazing, after all that you're proud to persistently be horrible.
Have a wonderful 30 days, you're not obliged to return.
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

All points were made pages go....I really do not get the persistence of complaint especially with the lack of other members strong support.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
ekjdm14
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: '95 Xantia 1.9D automatic - 109k one of two remaining
'03 206 GTi180 - 97k in pieces being brought back up to snuff
'03 206 1.9TD - home-built veg-fuelled B-road bruiser
'99 306 SE 2.0i cabriolet - 92k awaiting service work ready for next summer
'97 306 XS 1.6i 3 door, Bianca White, from dead 12 years & seized solid to road legal in 7 days

Post by ekjdm14 »

I have no words..... too 'mature' for a like button yet you manage to troll with the best (worst?) of the kids on Facebook .

I shall again bow out of this "discussion " since I feel they are only now replying for the reaction/attention...
'95 Xantia LX 1.9D-auto, Black, 109k
'03 206 GTi180 94k in surgery
'03 206 1.1S XUD9TE/veg project :mrgreen:
'99 306 2.0SE cabriolet 95k summer toy
'97 306 XS 1.6i 99k sat 12 years, fixed in 7 days, 150mile maiden voyage :rofl2: