Moderator: myglaren

ekjdm14
(Donor 2020)
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: '95 Xantia 1.9D automatic - 109k one of two remaining
'03 206 GTi180 - 97k in pieces being brought back up to snuff
'03 206 1.9TD - home-built veg-fuelled B-road bruiser
'99 306 SE 2.0i cabriolet - 92k awaiting service work ready for next summer
'97 306 XS 1.6i 3 door, Bianca White, from dead 12 years & seized solid to road legal in 7 days

Re: Discontinuation of Tapatalk Support

Post by ekjdm14 »

xantiamanic wrote:DavieM, give it up mate. Decision's already been made to withdraw support and its non-negotiable. Google 'Tapatalk security' and you'll find all of the supposedly bad things posted about TT which get quoted as justification to get rid. I'll just drop off FCF when the plug is pulled. Switch to read only maybe once a month. Can't really be bothered with all the hassle of being talked at by 'administration' trying to push their case with no regard for the members anymore quoting 'security', 'possible malware' and a multitude of other issues which the rest of the forum community seem perfectly well able to handle. But no, not ours. It's seen as an opportunity to push change fir the sake of change, my opinion. Withdrawal of TT support wont be the end of the forum per se, it will be current admin practices that hasten its demise. Sad to see how its ending up but heyho, that's progress. Move over and let the young bright things have their play ...

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

I did say I wasn't going to make further comment, but really I have to question the motives of a member who by their own admission has no real need for the forum & indeed doesn't have any of their cars on the road currently, yet continues to kick back against a decision which has been made in the interests of security (which is indeed a real one even if it only amounts to petty copyright infringements & has been explained as far as possible with examples given of the risks posed both past & present) and more than that, encourages others to "give it up" rather than persevere with other methods which admin are actively working on making more viable for them. I feel it would be a great shame if Davie did give up on the forum as unlike some I believe he does have further useful input to add to the community.

I feel like your argument is more a point of principle/egotistical kicking of the current admin team than a genuine issue with tapatalk support being withdrawn & if you were that bothered about the community as a whole & had worthwhile input to give then you too would persevere with other options rather than adopt the "it's TT or delete all my posts" stance you currently hold.
'95 Xantia LX 1.9D-auto, Black, 109k
'03 206 GTi180 94k in surgery
'03 206 1.1S XUD9TE/veg project :mrgreen:
'99 306 2.0SE cabriolet 95k summer toy
'97 306 XS 1.6i 99k sat 12 years, fixed in 7 days, 150mile maiden voyage :rofl2:
bxzx16v
My Cars: Past Frenchies , 4xBx16v,1xBxGti,1xBxTzd,2xZx Volcanes,1xZx reflex,1xPug 405mi16, 3x Xantia 1.9td's,1x Xantia activa, 2x Renault 25 V6 turbo, 1 Zx16v ,1 Pug 406 V6 coupe ,1x C8 , 1x Berlingo van , 1x Xanti 2.1td , 1x Renault Laguna 3

Post by bxzx16v »

I only use my phone to access forums too but don't have tapatalk installed , I can't comment on it's usability etc but with my photobucket account can post pics reasonably easy . I too am not too tec savvy , please stick with us Davie and Xantiamaniac you would both be a big loss to the forum .

Mark
2009 Landrover Freelander 2 TD4se (killed an Audi) , sadly now gone .
2012 Landrover Freelander 2 SD4 AUTO Love it . Now gone .
2014 Ford Bmax 1.0 Ecoboost Zetec . Fantastic little machine .Gone now.
2014 Ford Focus 2.0 Tdci Zetec S with the French heart.
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

agree 100% Mark
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

I raised the subject on this other forum, as I said, and it doesn't seem to be the same problem there. In fact Googling around for Tapatalk problems with Xenforo doesn't elicit anything newer than 2015. There's still lots of dislike for Tapatalk though. The way it can bypass normal registration processes, the fact that it's all too easy to miss any messages sent and, of course, the creaming off of advertising revenue.

So it looks that it's phpBB that has a real problem - maybe other forum software as well but I didn't check. Sorry I can't add anything more to the "discussion".
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
superloopy
My Cars:

Post by superloopy »

Some good 'googling' there Paul-R. Some seem to focus on that 'creaming off of advertising revenue' but the spinoff surely is that the presence of FCF is made aware to a wider audience. I am constantly being offered up 'other' forums related to the recent viewing i've done some if which i would not have been aware of without the use of Tapatalk. FCF is therefore being propagated to a much wider audience than our proposed insular presence could achieve and it is a simple matter to choose or dismiss any such offerrings.

Mike

Xantia Activa Dante Red MK1 (96) 121k - SORN, to be broken
Xantia Activa Silex Grey MK2 (98) 120k -SORN, ditto
Xantia V6 Silex Grey MK2 (98) 95k - non-runner
Xantia TD Storm Grey MK1 (95) 95k - non-runner
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Re: RE: Re: Discontinuation of Tapatalk Support

Post by daviemck2006 »

Hell Razor5543 wrote:Let me see if I can explain in English, as opposed to technical language, using analogies.

Does that help to make things clearer?
That does help make it clearer for me. Thank you James. As far as I am concerned, in the context of this forum, that is a risk which is so small it is not worth bothering about but I can now see how some folk would bother about it. If my posts on this forum ended up somewhere else i would not care one little bit, if my email gets spam mails, they will just get deleted with all the other junk I get and would not care.

My first reaction was, i admit a knee-jerk one, but if the issues I had about posting photos and font sizes had not been addressed then the initial reaction would have been proved true. It will be a PITA for me, the forum is not so easily followed from my point of view without tapatalk.

If there is one thing that admin, who do do a lot of stuff for us which is appreciated, should take note of when implementing a big change its that, espically for the likes of me who does not understand these things, when informing us of these changes tell us why, in clear and plain language what is happening and why it is needed. Espically in this case where there are hundreds of forums using tapatalk, and i have used it personally for years with no problem. Please dont do major changes with the attitude of this is happening and its not negotiable without a reasonable explanation of why. Personally i still dont see why really but at least i can now see some others could see why.

And on that I really am going to shut up on this subject.

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
demag
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: "H" Citroen Bx Tgs Automatic.
2006 Toyota Prius T4 Gen 2.

Post by demag »

I tried using my phone browser to access the forum and in fact it was quite good, not that dissimilar to TT. Is there any way I can make the forum a "favourite" or something similar on my phone so that I don't have to search for "frenchcarforum" every time I log in?

Sent from my Wileyfox Swift using Tapatalk
Dave
2011 Peugeot 3008 1.6hdi Exclusive EGS.
'04 C5 auto estate 2.2 hdi. Gone.
Bx 1.6 TGS Auto 50k A rare beast by all accounts. A bit tired but getting better by the day. Gone.
'96 XM 2.5TD VSX.......Sadly sold. What an idiot! I should have held on to that.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Yes but the process can vary depending on what browser you are using. What do you use? Chrome, Firefox, Opera or other....
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
demag
(Donor 2016)

Post by demag »

Other. Free Addblocker Browser. App on google play. I'm not sure if its based on one of the popular ones or totally independent.

Sent from my Wileyfox Swift using Tapatalk
Dave
Bx 1.6 TGS Auto 50k A rare beast by all accounts. A bit tired but getting better by the day. Gone.
'96 XM 2.5TD VSX.......Sadly sold. What an idiot! I should have held on to that.
superloopy
My Cars:

Post by superloopy »

DavieM .. your opinions mirror mine exactly including the insignificant element of risk to personal data. As has already been said, that data is already swilling around the internet and its up to everyone to manage their own personal exposure if the unfortunate should happen as on any other site. I'm fairly relaxed that TT poses no significant risk to me. The fact is that withdrawal of Tapatalk support in a 'do as i say or else' manner is at the root of my grievance. Seems like little, if anything, was learned from the cack handed attempt at forum redesign only a matter of weeks ago (remember that debacle [emoji47]), despite assurances to the contrary, when dissatisfaction with not just the proposed changes themselves but also the manner in which such change was being proposed, without any reachout to the forum members, should have been a lesson learned in how not to communicate. Apparently not it seems. I use TT daily, reading each and every post and will continue to do so until it's 'non-negotiable' demise. I have a smart phone, sadly not an iphone, well able to post text and pictures to the forum. However, the current posturing of individual mods, certainly not all i should stress,and the fact that my gallstones are bl**dy debilitating this time around mean that withdrawal of Tapatalk support i now see as an opportunity to take a timeout until either or maybe both problems improve. Fortunately mine can be sorted by a fairly routine operation, however [emoji4] ....

Last edited by superloopy on 26 May 2017, 17:26, edited 12 times in total.
Mike

GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

demag wrote:Other. Free Addblocker Browser. App on google play. I'm not sure if its based on one of the popular ones or totally independent.

If you can recall the name of it ( when you launch it from your phone screen) that would help to explain how to bookmark it. Addblocker is usually just an add-in that can work with a browser.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
demag
(Donor 2016)

Post by demag »

I'm on my Nexus 7 and used the browser for FCF. Once the index page loaded I looked through the browser settings which allowed me to place a shortcut on my home page. Job done. :-D
Dave
superloopy
My Cars:

Post by superloopy »

demag wrote:I'm on my Nexus 7 and used the browser for FCF. Once the index page loaded I looked through the browser settings which allowed me to place a shortcut on my home page. Job done. :-D
Are you aware of Tapatalk and have you used it at all?

Mike

Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

I'm only aware of it from the 'sent from Tapatalk' note on the bottom of many posts, I don't use a smart phone, have no use for one, all my internet is done from my desktop.

The security problems mentioned are I think needed to be considered, it may seem that stuff posted on here is insignificant but scammers/crooks use tiny bits of information gathered from many sources to build profiles of their potential victims and any access to any private stuff that they can get should if possible be blocked.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
demag
(Donor 2016)

Post by demag »

xantiamanic wrote:
demag wrote:I'm on my Nexus 7 and used the browser for FCF. Once the index page loaded I looked through the browser settings which allowed me to place a shortcut on my home page. Job done. :-D
Are you aware of Tapatalk and have you used it at all?

Yes I use it all the time but if support is stopping then I won't be able to use it. Browser shortcut now set up on phone where I am posting this from. Worked easy.
Dave