Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Re: Discontinuation of Tapatalk Support

Post by xantia_v6 »

Sloppysod wrote: However - admin team - I have a gripe can you make the banner smaller, all I can see is the Peugeot lion - I drive a Citroen other than that good work!! :(

I think that should be possible (see https://xantiav6.co.uk). Some other changes may be necessary so that the text overlay scales properly with it.
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Photo sizes, I've tried to load this before but failed as it was too big, form the Easter Coleford show.
Attachments
IMGP1485.JPG
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
ekjdm14
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: '95 Xantia 1.9D automatic - 109k one of two remaining
'03 206 GTi180 - 97k in pieces being brought back up to snuff
'03 206 1.9TD - home-built veg-fuelled B-road bruiser
'99 306 SE 2.0i cabriolet - 92k awaiting service work ready for next summer
'97 306 XS 1.6i 3 door, Bianca White, from dead 12 years & seized solid to road legal in 7 days

Post by ekjdm14 »

That worked, and it looks gorgeous too :D
'95 Xantia LX 1.9D-auto, Black, 109k
'03 206 GTi180 94k in surgery
'03 206 1.1S XUD9TE/veg project :mrgreen:
'99 306 2.0SE cabriolet 95k summer toy
'97 306 XS 1.6i 99k sat 12 years, fixed in 7 days, 150mile maiden voyage :rofl2:
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

I'll post a few more later now I know I can. :) on a more suitable thread.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

The auto-resize facility is a good one, and will save on having to resize in Paint or Photobucket. Welcome addition.
Chris
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

Thank you abmin for the auto size facility. As far as im concerned get the font resizing done as soon as possible. I know nothing about "trojan" malware and its issues like that I would like explained in simple terms. If there is a malware attack what issues would that cause? I am back on tapatalk again just now because every time i am trying the browsers im having problems getting my posts posted, and then they are posting multiple times occasionally. Its totally doing my head in and cannot continue to do so. I am not resistant to change, but when a major change happens that I see as unnecessary and makes things worse i need to be able to understand why, and in this case I still cant understand why.

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

There are plenty of articles on the web about viruses and malware if you want further information, but the gist of the problem is the security of information held in our databases and protecting these so the information cannot be used to try and break into other sites - as one example.

Malware: Malware Information

An example below of how - when Tapatalk is compromised - then the Forum is also compromised - this is from the actual Tapatalk Support Team a while back. As you can see, passwords were exposed in clear text (!) and a loss of posts whilst the databases were restored - and this is on their own support forums!
Dear Tapatalk Forum Community,

Today we discovered that someone had used an exploit in a third party plugin on the Tapatalk support forums, leading to the disclosure of email addresses and encrypted passwords, and possibly passwords in cleartext if you attempted to login since December 9th.

Due to this incident, please log into http://www.tapatalk.com/v2 and change your password.

Please choose a strong password, containing a mix of upper and lower case letters, numbers and even symbols if possible.
Never use the same password on more than one site. Passwords should be unique to each site they access in order to comply with basic security best practices.

No other systems appear to have been affected and we will continue to perform audits. In the meantime our support forums will be brought back online but we will be rolling back the site approximately a week as a precaution. Posts and messages since that time will not be restored in this process.

Again, all passwords have been invalidated and will no longer work. Please reset your password using the reset password page and then following the instructions provided in the email.

We are sorry for this inconvenience and thank you for your patience,

The Tapatalk Team
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

Ok so a lot of that is gobbledegook to me. I am trying to understand, i am jot being akward for the sake of it. Theres two things that i would ask. Could the continued use of tapatalk by myself, regardless of on this forum or any other forum allow unauthorised access to my phones storage and store, for example, illegal p**n images on my phone without my knowledge? Could the use of tapatalk allow someone, or something to hack into my credit card details and take £47odd monthly from my credit card for 3 months before i spotted it? That did happen, i got the money back from my CC company but never found out the cause. I did read things about malware saying this could happen. I have AVG on phone and two tablets I use does this sltop it for me personally? Sorry for asking so much but i really am thick when it comes to electrical and electronic stuff and computing etc is a total black art for me!

Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
In the family
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

daviemck2006 wrote:Ok so a lot of that is gobbledegook to me. I am trying to understand, i am jot being akward for the sake of it. Theres two things that i would ask. Could the continued use of tapatalk by myself, regardless of on this forum or any other forum allow unauthorised access to my phones storage and store, for example, illegal p**n images on my phone without my knowledge? Could the use of tapatalk allow someone, or something to hack into my credit card details and take £47odd monthly from my credit card for 3 months before i spotted it? That did happen, i got the money back from my CC company but never found out the cause. I did read things about malware saying this could happen. I have AVG on phone and two tablets I use does this sltop it for me personally? Sorry for asking so much but i really am thick when it comes to electrical and electronic stuff and computing etc is a total black art for me!

With regard to scenarios above, I think that it is unlikely that Tapatalk was involved, but it is theoretically possible. If such attacks were actually happening on a regular basis, the source would not be difficult to trace by enforcement authorities.

Our primary concern is about the part of Tapatalk that interfaces to the server, and the likelihood of future problems.
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

xantiamanic wrote:DickieG ... what 'spam' are you talking about with regards to TT and how do you access the forum these days? I agree with you that some membership decline is most probably members moving on their car ownership. More than likely a change of marque altogether (what is it you're running these days?) away from 'frenchies'.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

The 'Spam' I mention is that when I access a forum that uses Tapatalk (using either an iPad or iPhone) a screen pops up attempting to get me to download Tapatalk, I don't need Tapatalk and personally wish I it was never seen again. I also access the forum via a Mac or a windows computer or laptop.

I'm driving a BMW 535D as my daily car, a good thing about this particular one is that it's fitted with the very rare option of 'Dynamic drive' which is BMW's version anti-roll suspension which also allows you to chose how soft or firm you'd like the ride to be so essentially a bang up to date BMW Activa with toys galore, I love it.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
superloopy
My Cars:

Post by superloopy »

DavieM, give it up mate. Decision's already been made to withdraw support and its non-negotiable. Google 'Tapatalk security' and you'll find all of the supposedly bad things posted about TT which get quoted as justification to get rid. I'll just drop off FCF when the plug is pulled. Switch to read only maybe once a month. Can't really be bothered with all the hassle of being talked at by 'administration' trying to push their case with no regard for the members anymore quoting 'security', 'possible malware' and a multitude of other issues which the rest of the forum community seem perfectly well able to handle. But no, not ours. It's seen as an opportunity to push change fir the sake of change, my opinion. Withdrawal of TT support wont be the end of the forum per se, it will be current admin practices that hasten its demise. Sad to see how its ending up but heyho, that's progress. Move over and let the young bright things have their play ...

Last edited by superloopy on 25 May 2017, 16:55, edited 1 time in total.
Mike

Xantia Activa Dante Red MK1 (96) 121k - SORN, to be broken
Xantia Activa Silex Grey MK2 (98) 120k -SORN, ditto
Xantia V6 Silex Grey MK2 (98) 95k - non-runner
Xantia TD Storm Grey MK1 (95) 95k - non-runner
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)

Post by daviemck2006 »

Im trying to understand but failing to understand. When its gone, its gone. How will it affect me? Probably badly. I wont find that out until i get there. I shall use Tapatalk until it stops then go from there. Im not going to windmyself up about it. I have enough stress at the moment, everwarm have had the scaffolding around my house for 5 months to do a job that should take 8 to 10 days max. They are the ones getting both barrels just now.

Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
In the family
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
superloopy
My Cars:

Post by superloopy »

Is that scaffolding still there! Get a mate to unwind a couple of clamps then complain that it's dangerous and unstable [emoji3] Soon be gone. Has the work been completed then?

Mike

Xantia Activa Dante Red MK1 (96) 121k - SORN, to be broken
Xantia Activa Silex Grey MK2 (98) 120k -SORN, ditto
Xantia V6 Silex Grey MK2 (98) 95k - non-runner
Xantia TD Storm Grey MK1 (95) 95k - non-runner
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)

Post by daviemck2006 »

No. Work is not completed. They have made a shambles of it and i am in dispute with them. I havent got the job i ordered, but they are adamant that I have. Waiting for an ombudsman to look into it. Could take months yet.

Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
In the family
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Let me see if I can explain in English, as opposed to technical language, using analogies.

When you are dealing with a bank (through the normal postal service) the letters you receive will be in simple envelopes (OK, normally with the bank logo on them), with nothing to indicate what the contents are. The Post Office will not tamper with these letters in any way (OK, very occasionally you get a rogue postman, but the Post Office cannot be blamed for that; and they do what they can to weed these out). These letters are secure.

Now imagine that, for certain reasons, the Post Office starts using an outside courier firm. This firm removes the plain envelopes, and puts your letters in completely clear envelopes (while also taking advantage of this action to read your letters from your bank). Your bank details are now exposed to the world; sort code, account number, transactions and so on. The only thing that might have any form of security is the card with your PIN (as it may have a scratch panel, but this is not always the case), but that does not help much. Now anybody with a bit of intelligence (and a little bit more snooping) can access your bank account and do what they like.

Based on what I have read on this thread, Tapatalk does not have much in the way of security, to the point where it is easy for a relative novice hacker to read all of your details, and could then (at the very least) post up on forums you have access to derogatory posts purporting to be from you (it appears that the passwords are sent in clear; in other words, they are not coded in any way, and anybody can read them easily). If they can get copies of numerous messages it is possible to observe patterns in them. They may also have a way into the forums themselves, with the potential to cause bigger problems. After what happened recently (to the NHS and world wide) I can understand WHY the moderators have started to make the forum more secure, but I WISH they had tried to explain (in English and not techno babble) why this was necessary.

Does that help to make things clearer?
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!