Discontinuation of Tapatalk Support

Forum News, Announcements and any issues you're having with the forum

Moderator: myglaren

superloopy
My Cars:

Re: Discontinuation of Tapatalk Support

Post by superloopy »

Jim ... i have no intention of running an aged laptop, linux or otherwise. I joined the forum some years ago when mobile phones were in their infancy, certainly not the sophisticated choice of internet device they have now become. In those days pc access was common. But things move on. Since TT came along i find it a lot easier to read and post. Its ability to collect everything i want to see and present it in s consistent manner across multiple forums on a daily basis is a godsend. I certainly wont be moving away from it. As i say i'll just become an occasional 'lurker', a 'guest' as the forum identifies those people. Not an active member but able to use the wealth of knowledge only as i need it, 'selfishly' as a previous poster commented. Certainly i wont be actively reading all posts which i do now. I see my level of interest dwindling even further and still consider the imposition, for that is what it is, an unnecessary restriction. Others can continue to access as they wish but i can guarantee as sure as night follows day that further changes will come thick and fast. Power breeds power and some people revel in it. Not me, i've always resisted egoistic change as far as possible. In this case the 'ego' i refer to can have his way and i'll lurk as a non-active observer once more when the change is implemented. I say 'when' because as we've all been primed with 'this non negotiable'.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk
Last edited by superloopy on 24 May 2017, 12:40, edited 1 time in total.
Mike

Xantia Activa Dante Red MK1 (96) 121k - SORN, to be broken
Xantia Activa Silex Grey MK2 (98) 120k -SORN, ditto
Xantia V6 Silex Grey MK2 (98) 95k - non-runner
Xantia TD Storm Grey MK1 (95) 95k - non-runner
ekjdm14
(Donor 2020)
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: '95 Xantia 1.9D automatic - 109k one of two remaining
'03 206 GTi180 - 97k in pieces being brought back up to snuff
'03 206 1.9TD - home-built veg-fuelled B-road bruiser
'99 306 SE 2.0i cabriolet - 92k awaiting service work ready for next summer
'97 306 XS 1.6i 3 door, Bianca White, from dead 12 years & seized solid to road legal in 7 days

Post by ekjdm14 »

Why even bother to observe, if it's going to be that much of a pain to access though? surely you wouldn't put yourself through the endless hassle and ballache of laboriously slogging your way onto the site through one of the other clunky, inefficient and overcomplicated means of access, only to finally get on here and merely look?

That, surely, is even more backward than discontinuing tapatalk support might seem to some.

One thing I think we'll both agree on is there are some big egos on this forum ;)
'95 Xantia LX 1.9D-auto, Black, 109k
'03 206 GTi180 94k in surgery
'03 206 1.1S XUD9TE/veg project :mrgreen:
'99 306 2.0SE cabriolet 95k summer toy
'97 306 XS 1.6i 99k sat 12 years, fixed in 7 days, 150mile maiden voyage :rofl2:
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

For those who find that the forum font size is inconveniently small, particularly when using a phone, I have installed an extension for testing on our test server.

Given the interest here, I am inviting a public trial. The test server is located at: https://xantiav6.co.uk/forum and is currently running a snapshot of this forum's contents from a few weeks ago. You can browse or post on the test forum, but anything you post will be wiped in a few days.

If you log into https://xantiav6.co.uk/forum/ fonts and spacings should normally be the same as this forum (although a few are wrong at present). If you go into your user control panel and the tab "Board Preferences", you will see a new setting: "Would you prefer the font to be larger?:" If you select that, then the fonts on the main forum pages should get about 20% bigger.

Please try that if you are interested and let us know if it helps at all.

For those who don't want to try it, here are some screen shots:
GiveMeABreak wrote:Works a treat Mike:

IMG_0965.PNG
IMG_0964.PNG

I don't need my glasses now! This changed from the UCP using the options. Clicking these pics will give a better image quality as you know, just so you can see that it is a better picture than as displayed.
superloopy
My Cars:

Re: RE: Re: Discontinuation of Tapatalk Support

Post by superloopy »

ekjdm14 wrote:Why even bother to observe, if it's going to be that much of a pain to access though? surely you wouldn't put yourself through the endless hassle and ballache of laboriously slogging your way onto the site through one of the other clunky, inefficient and overcomplicated means of access, only to finally get on here and merely look?

That, surely, is even more backward than discontinuing tapatalk support might seem to some.

One thing I think we'll both agree on is there are some big egos on this forum ;)
I think you'll find that 'lurkers' form the majority of activity on the forum these days. It has shrunk in activity since the heady days of some 2-3 years ago. I suggesst that those who have either left altogether or no longer contribute so profusely is down to a change in forum direction and management. Maybe, just maybe, they didnt find it to their liking and chose to move on without kicking back. Or ... maybe they just dont own a citroen marque anymore [emoji39] Certainly numbers are dwindling.

Last edited by superloopy on 24 May 2017, 13:22, edited 2 times in total.
Mike

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

xantiamanic wrote:Jim ... i have no intention of running an aged laptop, linux or otherwise.

Fair enough Mike, just trying to offer a suggestion. I shall say nothing more on the subject...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
ekjdm14
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: '95 Xantia 1.9D automatic - 109k one of two remaining
'03 206 GTi180 - 97k in pieces being brought back up to snuff
'03 206 1.9TD - home-built veg-fuelled B-road bruiser
'99 306 SE 2.0i cabriolet - 92k awaiting service work ready for next summer
'97 306 XS 1.6i 3 door, Bianca White, from dead 12 years & seized solid to road legal in 7 days

Re: RE: Re: Discontinuation of Tapatalk Support

Post by ekjdm14 »

xantiamanic wrote: I think you'll find that 'lurkers' form the majority of activity on the forum these days.

Indeed, and I did not say otherwise. It's the case with many fora these days, most people seem to have moved over to "pages" on Facebook for active chat etc. My point was just that if it's that hard to log in and post via media other than tapatalk then surely it's just as bad trying to get on just to look. In other words, if you can make it as far as viewing the forum why not contribute also, if you have something relevant to add?

As for the direction the forum has taken the last few years I'm ill equipped to comment, having joined just over 2 years ago, but I will say that I've not had a problem with the "management" since I've been here & indeed find the way the forum is run a lot better than many.

Indeed when the recent "facelift" was questioned by members it was reverted, put to a vote, and voted against thus has stayed how it was. I agree that consultation prior to implementation would perhaps have been a better way of doing things there, but ultimately admin listened to the membership who had an opinion to voice & acted on the feedback received.

I can't see things being much fairer than that really, and it can't have been easy to effectively "throw away" the work that had gone into creating the facelifted site...

Of course your opinion and that of other, prominent members differs to mine and in such cases I feel we're not likely to ever agree fully so I think this will be my last comment on the matter also.
'95 Xantia LX 1.9D-auto, Black, 109k
'03 206 GTi180 94k in surgery
'03 206 1.1S XUD9TE/veg project :mrgreen:
'99 306 2.0SE cabriolet 95k summer toy
'97 306 XS 1.6i 99k sat 12 years, fixed in 7 days, 150mile maiden voyage :rofl2:
superloopy
My Cars:

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Discontinuation of Tapatalk Support

Post by superloopy »

ekjdm14 wrote:
xantiamanic wrote: I think you'll find that 'lurkers' form the majority of activity on the forum these days.

Indeed, and I did not say otherwise. It's the case with many fora these days, most people seem to have moved over to "pages" on Facebook for active chat etc. My point was just that if it's that hard to log in and post via media other than tapatalk then surely it's just as bad trying to get on just to look. In other words, if you can make it as far as viewing the forum why not contribute also, if you have something relevant to add?

As for the direction the forum has taken the last few years I'm ill equipped to comment, having joined just over 2 years ago, but I will say that I've not had a problem with the "management" since I've been here & indeed find the way the forum is run a lot better than many.

Indeed when the recent "facelift" was questioned by members it was reverted, put to a vote, and voted against thus has stayed how it was. I agree that consultation prior to implementation would perhaps have been a better way of doing things there, but ultimately admin listened to the membership who had an opinion to voice & acted on the feedback received.

I can't see things being much fairer than that really, and it can't have been easy to effectively "throw away" the work that had gone into creating the facelifted site...

Of course your opinion and that of other, prominent members differs to mine and in such cases I feel we're not likely to ever agree fully so I think this will be my last comment on the matter also.
My point exactly ... it is a backward, retrograde means of accessing a forum, esoecually when a tool exists to make life so much easier. Moreso when multiple forums, fora, are being contributed to also. Shame really that you only joined fairly recently otherwise i'm sure your opinion on management would've been even more praising. I have nothing but disdain for some of our current management and their seemingly self promoting interest in the forum. Was never the case until recently. Just one big happy family rolling along in peace and harmony [emoji3][emoji3][emoji3]. Look at us now.

As for 'throwing away' earlier work by some admins being a difficult thing to do, you miss the fundamental point in all of this. Admin needs to talk to the membership BEFORE attempting to change the forums direction. Had they (?) consulted prior to trying to dictate a forum facelift they would' ve saved themselves an awful lot of time and effort. However i doubt that that work has been 'thrown away'. It will resurface in the not to distant future when all of the objectors have been purged.

Mike

Paul-R
Donor 2023
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Discontinuation of Tapatalk Support

Post by Paul-R »

xantiamanic wrote:Admin needs to talk to the membership BEFORE attempting to change the forums direction.

There is an element of truth there. Perhaps if it had been presented as "Look, there's a problem with Tapatalk that we can't se a way around. [...explain what the problem is...]. Unless anyone has any clever answer we can't see any alternative but to discontinue support." and then give a couple of weeks or so for discussion.

It's surprising how many people can be carried along if they've had a say in talking it through even though they might be against the idea.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

That's why this announcement was put up Paul - posted by me, but agreed collectively by the team. Tapatalk is a law unto itself and is not something we can 'modify'. Aesthetic / cosmetic changes are one thing, but issues of security are not really up for democratic majority decision.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

The problem is (as I see it) NOT that Tapatalk support is being discontinued by the forum, but that the way it was presented was (in effect) a fait accompli (this IS going to happen). In the past, when there has been a problem, the moderators have (as far as I can recall) clearly explained what the problem is, what they have done (or can do) to resolve it (sometimes they have asked for assistance from forum members), and (on any occasion when they have NOT been able to resolve the problem) clearly said so.

I am NOT a Tapatalk user, so I cannot see WHAT the problem is (other than what has been explained here). I have offered a suggestion, but I accept that this does not appear to be viable (for reasons that are, in some part, beyond the control of the moderators). I would make a different suggestion, in that the moderators delay the implementation of the update that will kill off Tapatalk support while working with those members who will be affected to see how to implement a way for them to easily be able to access the forum from any reasonably current smartphone.

As things are there are several members who seem to be feeling that they are being punished for using a communication system that, to them at least, is viable, but does appear to have security issues and loopholes that allows the software house access to the forum that they would not normally be allowed access to.

This forum has been described as "the friendly English Country Pub, where everybody can come in and chat". I certainly have represented it as such. However, currently it seems that one (or more) of the landlords has said something like "For hygiene reasons it is no longer possible for the drinkers to have their own personal and individual drinking tankards" without clearly explaining what, if any, options there are (such as standard tankards but with names engraved on them). This will sour the atmosphere, and could drive away some of the clientele.
Last edited by Hell Razor5543 on 24 May 2017, 19:30, edited 1 time in total.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Personally I'll be glad to see the back of Tapatalk as it will no longer keep popping up like spam when I go on the forum, so whilst some loved it others like me found it a complete PITA but worked around it for the benefit of others who used it, now that's no longer the case it's time for a swap in roles.

As for the number of members reducing I think that's easily explained by the fact that the gist of this forum has been hydraulic Citroens which are becoming fewer by the day plus members like me have moved onto other cars so the amount of discussion will inevitably reduce, not to mention that everything that anybody could reasonably do with a BX or Xantia has been done many times over plus C5's are few and far between so I'm not in any way surprised by this.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
Paul-R
Donor 2023

Post by Paul-R »

I don't like to carp but there's been a change (this afternoon I think) to the layout which has reduced the number of items on the page list. I don't know if this as a result of changing the font size for mobiles/pads (I'm using my laptop at home now) or what but it's a pain as it means more scrolling down to see the titles of the posts/subjects.

I'm all in favour of the creative use of white space but this is just annoying. It's very much like a lot of "modern" sites which require page after page of scrolling down. I don't like them either.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Paul-R
Donor 2023

Post by Paul-R »

Screenshot 2017-05-24 17.35.34.png
Screenshot 2017-05-24 17.40.33.png
This is what I mean.

Can I have the old version back please?

white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

Not changed for me (even after a reload). Still getting 50 items per page, on both PC and iPad.
Chris
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Are you sure you're not still on the test server link? There's been no change on the live Forum regarding display.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc