Elmas Xantia V6 and Musical Stuff

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

DHallworth
Donor 2016

Re: Elmas Xantia V6 and the joys of the countryside

Post by DHallworth »

It's not 2,3,4, and 5 I meant when we spoke Alisdair :)

It looks to me like it's the 90 degree bend on yours that's leaking where the 2 plastic collars hold the pipe to the elbow that goes into the bulkhead. If you remove that and then gently use a hacksaw to cut the collars off, you can use any Xantia elbow on the V6 pipes.

The elbow on my V6 breaker split when I removed it so Robert cut the collars off, used the original TCT elbow and jubilee clipped the V6 pipes onto it :) That pipe was NFP in 2014 so this was the only thing we could do.

David.
Last edited by DHallworth on 28 Mar 2017, 22:16, edited 2 times in total.

Stickyfinger
Donor 2016

Post by Stickyfinger »

Thanks for clearing that up David......

elma

Post by elma »

That's not making sense right now but I've just got back from London having left at 5 something this morning. I'll reread it in an hour and I'm sure I'll understand.
Doesn't sound like a terribly hard fix.
By any Xantia elbow do you mean a part Citroen still sells!?

elma

Post by elma »

Stickyfinger wrote:I have a set of Front (Brembo) and rear disks surplus to my needs, we can work out a better price than that.
I only just noticed your post, getting up 2.5 hours earlier than I'm used to has really impacted me today.

Sounds like a great idea to me :wink: , name your price. If I'm saving money I'm happy.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

I've used a 'foreign' elbow in the past on a V6 and used Jubilee Clips and joiners to link up with the original pipes...

Worked a treat...

Be aware the Berlingo uses the same sort of elbow and could be a source of spares...

elma

Post by elma »

Sounds like the beginnings of a plan. So it's basically hacksaw off the bit of pipe at the level the rubber hose attaches and fabricate a new elbow joint? I have a trusted plumber here Thursday and Friday, I will see if he has any good bits in his van that can be repurposed.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

When I say a 'foreign' elbow James, I mean one off a different model of Xantia. Not something Mr. Koslowski the Polish Plumber might have in his box of of miscellaneous fittings ;)

Joiners need to be 19mm in diameter... 22mm copper water pipe is a tad too big in my experience...

elma

Post by elma »

Shame, I thought I'd fix it without leaving home.
Is this a part I can order new from Citroen or do I need to look for a decent used part?
I'll still interrogate the plumber, he may well have some good advice and possibly a useable pair of 19mm elbows that I could pinch.
I have appropriate clips the correct size from the LHM pump pipe, I ordered 10 or something as I thought they'd come in handy.

I didn't get around to the pipe or seats today, ended up doing 12 hrs work so although there was time and daylight I was too fatigued.

Davids post makes perfect sense now I'm fed and back with it. Chop off the collars and replumb with a new elbow. How is the actual elbow removed? David I've pm'd you my email address as I cannot see your picture and I'm sure it would explain a lot. If you can email me a copy of the picture I'd be most grateful.

Stickyfinger
Donor 2016

Post by Stickyfinger »

In my car and the pipes removed from the scrapped V6
Attachments
20170327_144802.jpg
20170327_145036.jpg

Stickyfinger
Donor 2016

Post by Stickyfinger »

interesting that David's fixings differ to mine....or are these the converted type ?

elma

Post by elma »

Mines exactly the same as Davids but still has the collar attached.
I was actually quite baffled looking at yours which seem to resemble the service citroen diagram more closely.
I've got my head round it now.
I'll see if I can obtain a spare elbow before I start plus 2 o rings.
If not I just have to have a go before I leave for Wales.
Worst case is I fail and bypass as you suggested, can't be running out of coolant midway.

Stickyfinger
Donor 2016

Post by Stickyfinger »

Yep, my matrix was replaced a few years ago according to the French invoices I have.....

elma

Post by elma »

Right I'm ready to tackle this now, Davids given me some really good advice via email so I'm fully briefed.

I'll order a pair of o rings for reassembly and get cracking, ooh poor choice of words no cracking please.

I think I'll wait for the last minute with this job and see if I can obtain a spare elbow first.

I'll scour service Citroen tomorrow to see if they still exist for any model and place a wanted advert as well.

For me this is probably the scariest job I've undertaken on a Xantia. I mostly drive at night and the thought of having to blank off the heaters if I fail is totally unbearable.

Stickyfinger
Donor 2016

Post by Stickyfinger »

I will look at the ones on the breaker, you never know but everything else is good....just in case, but new would be better.

elma

Post by elma »

Appreciated, you're being a massive help getting this car sorted and I'm totally indebted to you.