OS drive shaft

A forum for new members to introduce themselves to the rabble already onboard. Not compulsory!
Tell us a little about yourself, lie if you have to but keep it to just an introduction, not a car discussion.

Moderator: RichardW

Deane
My Cars: Xantia 90hdi, Xantia 110 Hdi

OS drive shaft

Post by Deane »

Hello all thanks for having a great forum.
Been a Xantia owner for the last 4 years and just got my latest one, a 110Hdi.
This is the reason i'm here :? . I have clutch problems and need to take the box out and need advice how to remove the OS driveshaft. (plus any other tips :-D )
Thanks.
Deane
Last edited by Deane on 22 Jul 2016, 21:48, edited 1 time in total.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Re: OS drive shaft

Post by Peter.N. »

Hi Dean

Welcome to the forum. Your best (cheap) source of information would be a Haynes manual. The o/s shaft involves everything that the n/s does with the extra removal of the centre bearing. These have to eccentric headed bolts which you have to loosen and then rotate them free of the bearing. If the bearing is obstinate I usually remove them by clamping a large pair of molegrips to the shaft and hammering them outwards.

If you don't have a manual the instructions are as follows: slacken the drive shaft nut with the wheel still on because its very tight, then remove the wheel. The lower ball joint will need to be separated so you can pull the hub off after you have removed the nut, you should be able to swing the hub out of the way although you may have to disconnect the anti roll bar, I can't remember. It should all become clear when you start dismantling it.

Peter
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

The Intermediate Bearing often seizes in its carrier and either it comes out easily or is a right ****

I'm doing a clutch now on an Activa and my method to deal with the bearing is as follows:

As Peter says basically. First thing to do is to undo the hub nut! Then..

Disconnect the lower swivel joint and pull the hub clear of the lower wishbone. No need to disconnect the track rod end...

Then undo, almost right to the end of their threads, the two 'hockey stick' bolts on the intermediate bearing carrier and rotate them clear..

The get a big blunt cold chisel and a 4lb club hammer and drive the bearing out of the carrier toward the hub whilst rotating the driveshaft.

If it doesn't come out easily just keep going and check the 'hockey' sticks are clear of the bearing. You can feel them and get an idea where they are. As I say, at times they can be very tight and difficult. Just keep going and bashing!

You may like to read my thread on replacing an Activa clutch as it's exactly the same job in a 110HDi...

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... 14&t=54694

I'm experienced with this job so any issues, I can help! Be aware of the precautions you must take with the slave cylinder and release bearing... I will be speaking of those soon!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Deane

Post by Deane »

Thanks for the replies and sorry for the late reply. Just wondering does the driveshaft pop off first and then remove the solid shaft. Thanks
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Deane, once the intermediate bearing is released from its carrier slip the shaft out of the hub and then pull the driveshaft complete straight out...

gearbox must be drained of oil first...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Deane

Post by Deane »

that's great. If you dont mind could you explain those banjo bolt. thanks
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Banjo bolts, you mean what we call the 'hockey sticks' ?

They are two threaded bolts in the intermediate bearing carrier with 11mm nuts on the ends facing the gearbox... The opposite ends have what might be best described as a 'foot' and this 'foot' serves to lock the bearing in the carrier. Before the bearing can be driven out the hockey stick 11mm nuts must be undone almost to the ends of their threads so that each 'foot' can rotate through 90 degrees to enable the bearing to push out of the housing...

When you get down there and look it'll all become obvious what I've described...
Jim

Deane

Post by Deane »

great, all clear now, well as clear as its going to be.Thanks
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

It'll become even clearer when you go and take a look Deane!

Any more questions, just shout, always happy to answer ;)
Jim

Deane

Post by Deane »

Hello again Jim, don't know why I called them banjo bolts!. Any way got the box out and thanks again for your help. It seems that there is something wrong with the thrust bearing set up. Would you have photos/advice on what it should look like, there seems to be bits that have fell off/ broke. Thanks.
Deane
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Deane, it sounds like your clutch has fallen victim to the same problem as the Activa clutch I'm doing right now. Basically, the release bearing should he held into the centre of the diaphragm spring by a C clip. The release bearing can pull right out of the diaphragm spring and become damaged...

The clutch is known as a 'pull' clutch where the release bearing is pulled toward the gearbox to disengage the clutch. This is opposite to the conventional push type clutch where the release bearing is pushed into the diaphragm spring to disengage the clutch.

Keep following my blog on the Activa clutch job and all will become clear.

Do be aware the release bearing cannot be renewed separately and nor can it be reused...

When fitting a new clutch assembly the release bearing is placed in the forks of the actuating arm and slid to the back of the guide tube but is not clipped into the diaphragm spring. The release bearing is pulled into the diaphragm spring when the gearbox and engine anre once again mated using a special hooked tool...

Later I'll find some more notes and pictures for you...
Jim

Deane

Post by Deane »

Hello Jim, got the car sorted, new clutch fitted and back on the road. Just wanted to thank you for all your help, it much appreciated, especially from my wallet!
Deane
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Excellent :D Well done Deane.. Good work!!!
Jim

Deane

rear of car sinking

Post by Deane »

hello all again,
just wondering does a leaky sphere on the rear of my car cause it to sink when switched off.
Thanks
Deane
Last edited by Deane on 21 Jul 2016, 12:56, edited 1 time in total.
Deane

sinking rear

Post by Deane »

meant to say its a xantia 110