Xantia Plip configuring

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

madpenguin
My Cars:

Xantia Plip configuring

Post by madpenguin »

Hi all,
I need a plip for my xantia and citroen said they could supply one. They also said that they could configure it for me for an extra charge.
What does it take to configure these plips? Can I do it myself?
Many thanks
Ian
iancook2000
My Cars:

Post by iancook2000 »

If your Xantia is one without the keypad (i.e. the plipper releases the immobiliser) then the answer is no, you can't programme it yourself. Citroen will charge you about £65 and you will need to take all your keys/plippers with you when they do the job.
Ian Cook
madpenguin
My Cars:

Post by madpenguin »

Ok, I know this thread is a bit old, but I have a useful update.
I acquired a plip from a scrappy, sorry, automotive reclaimer, and programmed it to work with my alarm.
It's very simple....
1. Turn ignition to position M but do not start the car.
2. Hold the new plip very close to the sensor in the roof and press button A for a few seconds.
3. Turn the ignition off and try the newly configured plip.
If you want a new key to fit into the plip for your car, take your V5 to Citroen dealer and they will order a new key. You will also need to get a plip repair kit. The whole bill came to just over £12.
philqneve
My Cars:

Post by philqneve »

Hi, it might be an old thread but I just used the instructions for setting the second hand remote on my Xantia and it worked perfectly.
Sorry Citroen but my money stays in my pocket this time.
Mosser
My Cars:

Post by Mosser »

If you do try it with your spare plip, make sure your regular one works afterwards, i can only get one or the other working, as soon as i programme the second key in, the first one stops working,
Its like you can only have one key working at a time with this method
Panjandrum
My Cars:

Post by Panjandrum »

taipan,
I guess I probably said this on the other thread too - but I have two IR plips, both of which work OK.
PJ
Robin
My Cars:

Post by Robin »

As I understand it you need to have plips with different end codes to the numbering inside. Otherwise they are the 'same' when it comes to code hopping and one will disable the other.
Equally the codes are either numeric or letters and you need them to be the same.
It gets even worse with the non IR type. However you CAN have two working together, they just have to be the correct two!
philqneve
My Cars:

Post by philqneve »

To Taipan, remove the small screw on the fob, take the top off and slide out the remote control workings. You can now use your ignition key and re-programme the fob at the same time.
cheers
Phil.
rpaco
My Cars:

Post by rpaco »

My 98 Xantia has a radio type plip (it works from in my pocket) can this be programed in the same way?
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by rpaco</i>

My 98 Xantia has a radio type plip (it works from in my pocket) can this be programed in the same way?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
No,for RF type plips you need a citroen diagnostic machine to do it,you also need the 4 digit transponder imobiliser code and all the keys & remotes for the car must be done at the same time or they will no longer work.
Mosser
My Cars:

Post by Mosser »

Taipan,
My car is a 1997 1.8i with the infra red keys, like yours, i am happy with just one key working though, at least the other key can unlock and drive the car even if the alarm is going off !
rpaco
My Cars:

Post by rpaco »

wheeler wrote:<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by rpaco</i>
<br />My 98 Xantia has a radio type plip (it works from in my pocket) can this be programed in the same way?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
No,for RF type plips you need a citroen diagnostic machine to do it,you also need the 4 digit transponder imobiliser code and all the keys & remotes for the car must be done at the same time or they will no longer work.
Just came back to this thread whilst searching for something else and have to tell you it did actually work buy putting the key in the ign and to accessory position and pressing "A" for 3 seconds. I now have two radio plips working ok. So poss saved quitea few quid there!
john alexander
My Cars:

Post by john alexander »

Hi as one of the previous posts said take the inside out of one of the plips ,use that key in the ignition then point both sets at the roof and make sure you pressboth at the same time . it worked for me. regards john.