Citroen Challenge 2017

A place to discuss any upcoming meets, club rallies and general get togethers.

Moderator: RichardW

citroenesque
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Citroen Challenge 2017

Post by citroenesque »

June 3rd-11th 2017 Challenge!

OPEN TO all Citroens

It's a long way off, but here is advance notice of the 2017 'Challenge'. It is provisional, but there's time to hone it into something that will make it the best yet. It takes it's inspiration from what I consider to be the most successful event of its kind to date: the 2012 Challenge, which included a lot of great driving trough the Alps. Bear in mind, I will not be able to please all and there will be compromises, but building on feedback to date, it has elements that should appeal broadly.

It'll be titled The 2017 Citroën Challenge - simply because the previous use of the work 'Classic' was prone to misinterpretation and might've put off those owners of say, more modern Citroëns - or 'emerging 'classics' like the AX, ZX or indeed the C6. The point of the event is to be a road trip for those Citroën owners who fancy a bit of an adventure with fellow enthusiasts and friends, some time relaxing at a nice venue (this marks a difference to previous events in that I've built in a three-night stop-over for relaxation, car fettling and general exploration) and the chance to enjoy a variety of landscapes. There's a trip to the Reims museum included as well as the possibility of a historic battlefield visit which has proved popular in the past. It is possible that a band of intrepid members might take advantage of the lengthened stop-over at Le Roustou to make a dash for the Med via Digne and the renowned Route Napoleon to Cannes...

Importantly, this is NOT a camping trip. Unless you want it to be. Accommodation will be Hotel, chalet or tent depending upon individual preferences. I would say we are hoping to get a good deal on a cluster of chalets from the Citroën-enthusiast owner of the excellent site 'Le Roustou' so the stay there will be suitable for all. Even if not, there's a Hotel not far away.

It involves starting at Amiens or thereabouts… Easily accessible from Dieppe/Calais/Dunkirque and not much of a problem getting there from Caen either. And a safe distance from the potentially awkward coastal areas (thinking migrant camps and car security).

NOTE: PLEASE e-mail me at challenge2012@btopenworld.com if interested and I'll put you on the mailing list. Also note: it's 2012 on the email address because, well, that's the first Challenge I used the address on and I don't want to change lol!

Updates will follow periodically. As before there’ll be some initial setting up of accommodation details and so on and once we have the finer details worked out, there’ll be a bit of a quiet period. But let’s not forget the best way to secure crossings at a good price is to book early, so come summer this year we can start coordinating crossings and I will be asking people to book their accommodation (hotel rooms) in good time too.

Regarding campsites, if you are planning to sleep under canvas there’s not much need to book at that time of year; just roll up. If you (like me) want a chalet, I will coordinate the booking of those, employing the linguistic skills of a mate or two, so we can get a cluster of them.

This time the only navigator notes will be essentially a series of start and finish points with way points and SatNav preferences. This follows from last year where it was apparent everyone used SatNav and a detailed road-by-road route plan was unnecessary.

UPDATE, I have now added (see further down the thread) an updated graphic illustrating the basic plan. It's not set in stone, nor is it comprehensive, but I don't see that it'll be changing much in basic content).
Last edited by citroenesque on 26 Aug 2016, 10:26, edited 5 times in total.
1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Diesel hatch, white, 92k
*SOLD* 1998 Citroen Xantia Ser.1 Turbo Diesel manual, Desire Limited Edition hatch, Mauritius Blue, 118k
2003 Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur SE Tourer auto, BRG, 135k
citroenesque
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Re: Citroen Club Challenge 2017

Post by citroenesque »

Oh, and make sure you visit https://www.facebook.com/CitroenClassic every now and then, for updates and chat.
*SOLD* 1998 Citroen Xantia Ser.1 Turbo Diesel manual, Desire Limited Edition hatch, Mauritius Blue, 118k
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I'm just wondering if I could perhaps combine this with my plan to visit France for some bike touring along some TdF stages and a climb up Mont Ventoux on the bike...

:-k

I'll have to have a think...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

There could be two in one car Jim, share petrol costs and have a bike rack so you could bike some parts. It could be arranged.

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
citroenesque
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Post by citroenesque »

Well, we'll be set up for three nights at Le Roustou, so that'll give you a chance to cycle-tour. :) You could even modify your trip down there to take in Ventoux?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Sounds like it could all work out to be a good plan Phil... I didn’t realise immediately it was in 2017... I thought at first it was this year...

I'll be working on a plan for this...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
citroenesque
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Post by citroenesque »

Here's the updated plan:
Modified 07/03/2016

Last edited by citroenesque on 08 Mar 2016, 17:44, edited 1 time in total.
citroenesque
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Post by citroenesque »

Entry to this event is easy. All I will need is name, address, contact e-mail and mobile no. I would like to know what Citroen you intend to be in (just out of interest - not mandatory!), plus the name of any co-driver(s).

There is an entrance fee of £60 per car. Payable in advance, but seeing as it's so far off you have lots of time.... but 8 weeks prior to the event would be latest as I need to organise sticker packs etc.
What does the fee cover? Stickers, postage, information sheets/navigator notes plus a souvenir gift/little plaque and whatever discount vouchers I can get. And please, I do need a little for admin.

Use this address in correspondence: challenge 2012@btopenworld.com
Thanks!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Put me down for this Phil :)

You know all my details ;)

It'll be in the Activa with bike in the back...
Jim

Chris570
(Donor 2020)

Post by Chris570 »

Will there be a fuel tanker following for the Activas?
2006 C5 HDi 170
1998 Xantia Activa S1
1971 D Special
2006 C3 1.6 HDi SX,
CitroJim wrote: I'm a pink fairy
A 1/3 of Team WFA 'Clarkson'
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Chris570 wrote:Will there be a fuel tanker following for the Activas?
Be a V6 by then Chris so far more frugal on fuel ;)
Jim

Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Note, heading towards Switzerland from Besacon takes you up into some fantastic mountain roads.....I know them well having driven that way many times when working for a Swiss company based in Basel.

Worth looking into
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Stickyfinger wrote:Note, heading towards Switzerland from Besacon takes you up into some fantastic mountain roads...
Indeed, hence why I'm taking the bike...

Some Mountain TdF stages run around that area...
Jim

Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Great roads for a hooligan in a 4x4 Calibra company car :)
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Stickyfinger wrote:Great roads for a hooligan in a 4x4 Calibra company car :)
The last thing I want to meet when I'm on my bike :twisted:
Jim