Hello from Lincoln

A forum for new members to introduce themselves to the rabble already onboard. Not compulsory!
Tell us a little about yourself, lie if you have to but keep it to just an introduction, not a car discussion.

Moderator: RichardW

shaggygareth

Hello from Lincoln

Post by shaggygareth »

Sorry I missed this thread :cry:

Hi, my name is Gareth I hail from Lincoln I'm 39Yrs young and was born with mild cerebral palsy.(I only mention it because its relevant in my 'ask for help' thread lol. I own a 2003 C5 VTR Estate 2.0Ltr diesel.

My story and why I registered; To preference this story - I know NOTHING about cars, not even the basics really.... Anyway, Last year I bought a C5 from a Garage in Lincoln. Turns out they sold it 'As seen' due to the very high mileage(175k) and unbeknownst to me, it had a blown head gasket :oops: #-o #-o

Paid out for that to be fixed and Trading standards left to investigate company.

Car has worked faultlessly since then, including passing this years MOT with no advisories and was totally loving it. It has unfortunately acquired some electrical gremlins, which after trying to search and peruse the forums I decided to actually register and ask for advice about.

I am no mechanic, but I am willing to put my hand to anything to help and in my pocket where applicable. I love my C5 dearly and would hate to lose it.

I hope to eventually become a valued member of the forum/club

Thanks again for registering me and I hope to get to know as many of you as possible.

Gareth
Citroen C5 2003 VTR Manual Diesel 2.0l Mk1 185,000
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Hello from Lincoln

Post by CitroJim »

A very warm welcome Gareth :-D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Welcome to the forum Gareth

Sorry to hear about your head gasket problems especially on a 2.0. diesel, they are usually bomb proof but at least you should have a reliable engine now its done. 175K is not really a high mileage for one of those, I have ones that's done 240k and is still good.

Most modern cars are liable to electrical problems, Citroens probably more than most but unless its anything serious or will affect the MOT I tend to ignore them unless they affect the way the car drives.

Peter
wurlycorner
My Cars: Two C5's...
Lots of CXs...
A couple of Xantia...
A C2...
Lots of Prelude's...
And a Sunny!

Post by wurlycorner »

Welcome.
--
Iain

1x '85 CX GTi Turbo s1 (metallic blue)
2x '85 CX GTi Turbo s2 t1 (metallic silver & grey)
'88 CX GTi Turbo s2 T2 (metallic light blue)
CX DTR T2 Safari (silver)
2x '96 Xantia Activa (Black & metallic green)
'01 C5 2.0 HDi LX Estate (Blue)
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

Hiya Gareth, welcome to the forum.
I'm sure you'll learn a lot about your C5 and make some friends here.
Good luck with your alarm problem as well.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Welcome to the forum Gareth and hopefully we can help solve your problems.

If you are interested in meeting other members face to face there is an upcoming rally in Little Horwood -see this thread.

This is always a popular one and you may be able to find some good advice there and possibly a diagnostic session to help pin down the faults in your car and eliminate them - C5s will always throw up quite a number of fault codes, mostly spurious or innocuous.
van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
Location: Live & work in London but weekend in Devon (or do I now live in Torbay & work in London?)
My Cars: Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club (quietly sleeping in a parallel universe)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate
others:-
'96 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the "donor"
'99 Jeep Cherokee Orvis - the green one
'97 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the red one
'99 Cadillac Seville STS
'96 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
& numerous what might be described as abandoned projects!

Post by van ordinaire »

You "know NOTHING about cars" - & you bought a C5! Either one explains the other - or you're very brave!

Anyway, seems it's all for the best, initial probs. sorted - & you've got a car you love. Congratulations.

But it's reminded me never to get one - sounds far too much like a certain Cadillac of my acquaintance. However my experience with that does mean I can confirm that most electrical/electronic faults that do no detract from driveability/driving pleasure can be ignored - & many that do are random, & disappear as quickly as they appear.
Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club :cry:
'05 C15 :!:
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate [-o<
others:-
Jeep XJ Cherokees x 3 :?
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
'99 Cadillac STS :|
& the numerous "abandoned projects" #-o
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Have to say that with two C5s over quite a few years I've had remarkably few problems, certainly no more than would be expected with other marques and probably less than some.
Estate was at 150,000 miles when I passed it on due to collision damage and the current one is at almost 205,000
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I have a 406 and a C5 and I must admit that the C5 has been more troublesome but nothing that I couldn't fix and now fixed it gives no trouble at all.

Peter