Afternoon

A forum for new members to introduce themselves to the rabble already onboard. Not compulsory!
Tell us a little about yourself, lie if you have to but keep it to just an introduction, not a car discussion.

Moderator: RichardW

mrdelmonti
My Cars:

Afternoon

Post by mrdelmonti »

Afternoon,

I've got an S2 Xantia 1.8 16v, it was my daily drive but after misbehaving with a brake judder and a career change it has been resigned to sitting in the corner of my workshop. I am planning to change that though, I want to bring it back to its' former glory, although maybe not in completely standard form.

My wife keeps telling me to sell it or scrap and my business partner thinks the same but I just can't bring myself to do it, it just has so much charm, and that magic carpet suspension - I've never driven something that glides so well.

So I've signed up here because I've stolen information in the past to help me out and I'm sure I'll gather some more, but hopefully I'll be able to contribute as well.

Cheers guys.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: Afternoon

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Hi, and welcome aboard. What are the symptoms of the brake judder (when it occurs, etc.)? While I probably cannot help, others will. Saying that, pop the rear wheels off and take a look at the callipers re their alignment with the disks (look at them from directly above). There is a known issue in that the calliper metal reacts with the metal of the trailing arm, and the callipers get pushed off alignment (it is obvious to see). This can easily be corrected, but it is a VERY good idea to get replacement calliper bolts first (if you have them you probably won't need them, and vice versa!). My very first post was about this issue;

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... =3&t=38467" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
mrdelmonti
My Cars:

Post by mrdelmonti »

Cheers. Thanks for the suggestion but it's not that, when it first occurred I gave all the brakes a full strip down, inspection and grease. I've a feeling it's dodgy spheres or pump.

It doesn't happen all of the time but when it does the pedal drops, goes hard and rises, drops again etc, with every drop resulting in a loss of brakes.
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

Maybe thats air in the brake system from an expired sphere. This thread covers sphere changes and system bleeding.http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... 22&t=24595" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Does your car tick regularly from the front? If its a fairly constant thing the accumulator sphere is a likely culprit.
mrdelmonti
My Cars:

Post by mrdelmonti »

That sounds like the ticket. I'll give that a go cheers.

You're a helpful lot aren't you.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Well, we all like (sometimes loathe) our French cars, and we want to help others to keep theirs on the road. If it is the spheres try contacting AEP Direct. They charge fair prices, and they check to make sure you get the right spheres;

http://www.aepdirect.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!