ZX front disc overheating

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

rabenson
My Cars:

ZX front disc overheating

Post by rabenson »

I have recently purchased a 1994M ZX advantage diesel. After a journey of around 40 miles (dual carriageway followed by town driving), my offside front wheel was VERY hot - to the point where the grease had blown out of the CV joint boot!!! on my new driveshaft too.... You could smell the heat from the brakes....
I took it to my friendly mechanic who agreed with my diagnosis that the front brake had been binding. He stripped it down and said that there was some wear in the caliper but nothing to the extent that he would recommend replacing and he checked and lubricated the slides etc. His advice was to see how it goes. All was fine for a fortnight then it overheated again! (not so badly this time) Anyone got any theories about this? the offside wheel does tend to feel slightly warmer than the nearside generally but nothing outrageous.
Thanks in advance for any advice as I would like to go across to France this summer and don't relish having to stop to check my brakes every 50 miles or so ;-)
rabenson
My Cars:

Post by rabenson »

Ohmygod It's happened again!!!!
After a couple of trouble free years (caliper and disk renewed which seemed to sort it) it has started again! Offside wheel mad hot and a strong smell of burning. Obviously brake binding again but anybody go any idea WHY?????
Ron
rossd
My Cars:

Post by rossd »

Did you replace the flexible brake hoses when you replaced the disc and caliper?? A bad hose can collapse internally causing a pressure difference either side of the blockage.
Jon

Post by Jon »

Is it by chance the Girling caliper with 2 pins holding the pads in, and solid discs?
They are notorious for this problem, some of them were actually seizing up on fairly new cars when I was at Citroen, and there was a Dealer circular at the time (this was about 93/4) advising that they should be replaced with the Bendix caliper and pads to stop the problem happening again! Lots got changed to Bendix in the Dealerships if the owner complained enough.
rabenson
My Cars:

Post by rabenson »

Thanks Rossd, Jon
I'll check on both - I had the caliper replaced about 2 years ago so I suspect that the hose would have played up again before now, but I'll replace it anyway! Will investigate make of caliper....
Ron
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Do check the back of the offending disc - on my '93 XM TD12, I had just this problem and it turned out to be abuild up of rust encrustment, starting at the inside of the disc, where its very difficult to detect in the beginning. Once over with the angle grinder fixed that fault.
//NiSk
rabenson
My Cars:

Post by rabenson »

Thanks Nisk,
Disc fine. Both flexible hoses replaced - still playing up...
Turns out calipers are Girling... (groan...)
Anybody know what has to be changed to convert to bendix calipers?
Ron
beezer

Post by beezer »

Should just be calipers, pads and possibly discs if they are worn.