knocking problem--2cv

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

empty66
My Cars:

knocking problem--2cv

Post by empty66 »

help have 2cv which has a single knocking sound when steering round corners.the kingpins and wheel bearings have been replaced could it be the cv joints/drive shafts?there seems to be some play on the
passenger side but not in the drivers.should there be any play or not.
i'm new to 2cv's HELP
oh and also the track rod ends should there be any play.the garage said they are spring loaded so there is some play??
any help will be greatly received
thanks empty66
Paul Smith
My Cars:

Post by Paul Smith »

Hi Empty 66 - is this a reference to your fuel tank ?!
After driving a 'real car' you will find many knocks and strange noises on a Deaux Chevaux ! It may well be connected to drive shaft but a MOT/garage should pick this up. There is usually play in the drive shaft/s. I have had the plastic tie on the CV joint gaiter or suspension gaiter (which should only have ONE tie) bash on the vertical surface of the wing only when on a full lock - sounding awful but really quite harmless - can be checked easily when jacked up on full lock and the wheel turned.
There always seems to be play on the TRE - and the steering in general! but according to ECAS (2cv Parts - Tel 01785 282882)it is NOT adjustable. May I sugest joining 2CVGB - PO Box 602 Crick, Northampton NN6 7UW - (only £20 per year - good mag etc) or go to WWW.2CVGB.co.uk.
Finally, Haynes manual is very good - good luck and don't give up - wave to all 2cvers!
Regards,
Paul
Edited by - paul smith on 09 Jul 2001 22:43:51
empty66
My Cars:

Post by empty66 »

thanks for the reply paul
am a member of 2cvgb,have handbook and haynes manual.still not sure about how much play on d/shafts and trd.
went to registers day,waved to loads of people :-)
empty stands for my initials M.T.(boring eh?)
2cv's rule!!!!
empty66
Edited by - empty66 on 10 Jul 2001 22:00:57
Harvey
My Cars:

Post by Harvey »

High M.T. :- Trackrod end adjustment:- When assembling it, the castleated nut should be screwed in, and then backed off a specific amount. The 'Haynes' says 'one sixteenth' of a turn but I have it from a reliable source that this should be 'one sixth' of a turn. Whichever, it must not be tightened and not backed off as this can cause execive wear of the ball and possible breakage which causes a crash. It must be kept well greased too. I have fitted grease nipples to my t.r. ends.
Harvey
empty66
My Cars:

Post by empty66 »

cheers harvey had them checked they are ok
2cv garage reckons its the king pins
but i still think it could be something else.
suspension maybe i don't know
Harvey
My Cars:

Post by Harvey »

This is a long shot, but has been known. Does the knock seem to coincide with the rotation of the wheels? If you look at the inside of a roadwheel you will see a seam where the hub and rim sections join. The wheels tend to rust around this seam and in severe cases the seam will 'blow'causing a lump on the wheel. This can hit the bottom of the swivel hub ( just under the grease nipple ), as the wheel rotates. This may not occur on the straight, but when turning a slight play in the king pin and / or wheel bearing can be enough to cause contact. I would think your 2cv mechanic should have spotted this if it's there, but it's worth you having a look.