Beta Release of a Brand New FCF

Forum News, Announcements and any issues you're having with the forum

Moderator: myglaren

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Beta Release of a Brand New FCF

Post by CitroJim »

A brand new version of the phpBB forum software was released on the 1st November. This release was not just an update but a whole new one with lots of new and good features. It is quite a bit richer than the current software.

Quietly behind the scenes I have been testing and configuring it with plans to roll it out as the next incarnation of the FCF.

It has now reached a stage in its development where I am happy to offer all members a look at it and to invite comments and suggestions..

Please visit it here: http://www.xantiav6.co.uk:8808/forum/index.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Please note this is a test board running on a test server. It is not live and never will be. You can however log into it using your normal FCF login. You may also try signing up as a new member but be aware that all newly registered member's first three posts will not be visible until they have been approved by a moderator. This is a guard against the ongoing spammer battle.

The database used for the basis of the board is from late October so it is not very current.

For details of the new features and goodies have a look here on the phpBB website: https://www.phpbb.com/about/launch/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If all goes well I plan to roll it into production early in 2015. It's your forum so all comments and suggestions will be most welcome.

Enjoy!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Beta Release of a Brand New FCF

Post by CitroJim »

superloopy wrote:Why's it so small ?
I don't know what you mean Mike...

The pages fill my screen perfectly... What are you viewing on?

Oh and Tapatalk is not needed as the screens auto-adapt to mobile devices :wink: Just see what happens when you make your browser really small!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

superloopy wrote:Firefox jim .... screen is only half width. And ... i'll stick with tapatalk for phone viewing cos i'm across a few forums and its more manageable.
Mike, as I say, it's absolutely fine on my Firefoxes and IEs over several different OSs... I can make it as wide or as narrow as I want and it's adaptive to the size of browser. Got a screenshot? I'm mystified...

I've not seen it on Chrome but I can't imagine an issue there..

Tapatalk will be available for those who like it even though it's not strictly needed on the new version...
Jim

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

superloopy wrote:Jim ... what i mean is that it doesn't stretch to fill my whole screen as does the current page layout. The screen appears to be 'centred' with wide bands of nothingness at each side of the main page. I'm using latest firefox with windows 8.1
I can't see that as mine stretches perfectly to fill the whole screen... Even on my very wide laptop...

I must confess I've not tested it on Win8.1 and FF but will be able to on Saturday. I'll see if I can replicate it...

Anyone else noted the same behaviour?
Jim

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Nope, That's it. I find it's normal that on a super-duper wide screen like yours Mike there is a finite width to the forum display. It's just none of my screens are wide enough to provoke it except one.. And that one only just does...

Surely that's wide enough isn't it?

:)
Jim

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

superloopy wrote:
CitroJim wrote:Nope, That's it. I find it's normal that on a super-duper wide screen like yours Mike there is a finite width to the forum display. It's just none of my screens are wide enough to provoke it except one.. And that one only just does...

Surely that's wide enough isn't it?

Nope ... not good enough.

The current version opens to the full width and discussion pages do similar.

The new version is not sizing correctly.

C'mon ... that cant be right.
OK, I shall have words on the phpBB forum... There at the moment you're looking at the default skin called Prosilver...

I may soon be able to offer alternative skins that might scale to your cinema screen better :wink: :lol:

I will look into that in a bit for you Mike as there is a Beta of the We_Universal skin we use on the current board available but currently it's a bit rough around the edges.

I'll make it available as soon as I can...
Jim

Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

I have to say I'm with Mike on this one Jim, I get the same on my Win7 machine at work (2 monitors, 1 is 1920x1080, the other 1600x1200) and it displays exactly as per Mike's screenshot on both of them, and the same on my Win 8.1 laptop at home. On my phone, I find it pretty horrible to use.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

There definitely is a difference between the two. My system is an i5, 32GB RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate (in 64bit);

Original, showing page 250 of Citrojims' blog;

http://s1033.photobucket.com/user/james ... sort=3&o=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

New site, same page;

http://s1033.photobucket.com/user/james ... sort=3&o=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sorry about the angle, couldn't find my main camera tripod, so the camera was on a mini tripod on the edge of the desk.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Image on laptop, 15" screen.
Other computer is cabbaged,
Other laptop displays the same as this, as did the cabbaged desktop.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

TBH I didn’t have an adverse reaction to it - I can live with that.
Crap screenshot via Imgur - Imageshack has gone all payfor and Imgur a bit dodgy, that is supposed to be a clickable thumbnail.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

When I can be bothered to move myself I'll send it to the 52" monitor & see how that fares.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

All points noted and it's good to see some feedback. I apologise I did not appreciate the issue at first due to only having small screens here but as I've said, I'll see what can be done to resolve this...

I want the new forum to be acceptable to all before we even consider going live with it.
Jim

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

The new forum is now available on Tapatalk..

Search for it in the Tapatalk app using the search term FCF 3.1.2 TEST

Tested only using the Android Tapatalk app so far and it's good there...

Enjoy!
Jim

Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

superloopy wrote:Have we switched the main forum across on tapatalk .... me no likey!
There's no difference that I can see!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

northern_mike wrote:
superloopy wrote:Have we switched the main forum across on tapatalk .... me no likey!
There's no difference that I can see!
Indeed, all forums look the same on Tapatalk... Or they do on my Android....
superloopy wrote:me no likey!
What are you not liking now Mike?

As always, things not liked will be worked upon to make them likeable :wink:
Jim