Moderator: GiveMeABreak

mooseshaver
My Cars:

Re: C5 X7 2-in-1 navigation tutorial

Post by mooseshaver »

Jacuzzi?
C5 III Tourer 2.0 HDi 163 Auto Exclusive
Gone cars.
C5 2.2 HDi Exclusive Estate auto 57. Awesome car. Sadly Could not be fixed by Citroen.
C5 1.6 HDi VTR Estate 56. Traded in.
C5 2.2 HDi SX Estate 02. Drowned in the floods of 09.
C3 1.4 HDi 92 SX 52.
Saxo 1.1 East Coast.
vborovic
Locked user account
My Cars: A used Citroen

Post by vborovic »

I must admit the attempts aren't all that bad ... it's not genuine Citroen, you won't find it in any catalogue of extras ... and it has to do with moving pictures ... :D ...
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

vborovic wrote:and it has to do with moving pictures
Head-up display ?

Camera to film the oncoming traffic so it can be streamed to you in the back seat so you can drive the car from there with a phone app ? :rofl2:
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

with 4g he could drive the car from home whilst watching Lizard Lick Towing :)

Your holding the launch of FURY in the back seats ?
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
vborovic
Locked user account

Post by vborovic »

I've managed to land a great deal on a pair of Alpine 7" headrest monitors, which I hope to fit into the car's genuine headrests ... it will be a really tight fit, and I'm not exactly sure they'll actually fit (the monitors would, but the outer shell that houses them is a bit bigger), but I'll see how to solve the problem once I get them delivered ... from UK of course ... :D ...
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Do you carry any rear seat passengers? :lol:
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
vborovic
Locked user account

Post by vborovic »

No ... :D ... but it will be fun for the people in the car behind me while doing 100 on the freeway ... :P ... just kidding, I have occasional passengers, we do long trips/journeys, and I want some entertainment in the car if possible, if for nothing else, just to say it was doable ... of course, the screens are just the first phase ... if I fit them, and it works/looks as much genuine as possible, I'll move to the next phase, bringing actual video in the car (DVB-T/DVD) ...
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

vborovic wrote: if I fit them, and it works/looks as much genuine as possible, I'll move to the next phase, bringing actual video in the car (DVB-T/DVD) ...
My Mercedes has digital TV via an Alpine unit which works very well, it's controlled via a small remote and receives broadcasts via a small aerial stuck inside at the top of the screen, normally you'd have a second aerial attached to one of the rear windows but as its a convertible it makes do with just the one which pulls in a signal very well, if you like I'll dig out the model number for you to use as a starting point.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
vborovic
Locked user account

Post by vborovic »

I was looking at Alpine's TUE-T150DV but that unit new is approx 250 GBP, which is more than I paid for the 2 screens with the central module ... I thin I'll first try with a lot cheaper module (but not the lowest class), Xtrons, which is around 80 GBP including shipping to me ... then, if I won't be satisfied with the signal reception (as the car can't do more than 225 km/h, I don't need the really high-quality receiver), I can easily switch to another solution ... and, since I also plan to put an android computer/box as another video source (in a much later stage), I'm really not that limited ... :D ... but thanks for the offer ...
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

My advice would be to just buy some cheap iPads or Droid tablets instead and install a USB socket that can supply 2.1amp to each of them for use on the move as the headrest stuff is doable (i think you need 6.5" screens though!) but the amount of work isnt small. the wiring down the seats and then into somewhere with a DVD or bluray player is a pain...
vborovic
Locked user account

Post by vborovic »

The 7", which are already on the way, will fit, but I'm worrying about their mounts, which are slightly larger ... as for one of the video inputs to them, there will be an android pc mini box (10x10 cm), which has RCA output, and that will be for the music/video from the removable media, and possibly internet (through my cell phone's hot-spot connection, if required) ... I know that the work required isn't small, but that's the fun in it ... as you could see from my previous experiences, I'm not into small projects ... :D ...
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Have you thought about using Apple tv and airport to do everything and then a portable usb drive should work as I think the portable usb hdd issue is possibly due to the power requirement of the device and the port not being totally USB port standard compliant :) I've seen it a few times before in some PCs in the past :(

How are you able to find the units so cheap as the only ones I see come up on eBay are circa £700+ per set :(
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Ps I mean for the emyway rt6 :)
vborovic
Locked user account

Post by vborovic »

I don't like Apple products, have one iPod player, and I'm not satisfied with how you are forced to use it (Store and all the rest bs ...), luckily, there are good alternatives for management software of such devices ... and, I'm into android (I'd put a carputer - windows PC, in the back, but those boxes are just too big even though they're small as they can be), also, I don't want to spend useable space in the trunk or elsewhere in the car, if I can hide all the equipment ... as for the cheap RT6, let's just say a stroke of luck and a lot of patience ... the guy from whom I've bough my set has just the RT6 unit on offer on ebay.pl right now, price around 425 GBP ... I wouldn't be doing the upgrade if I didn't have a very possible buyer for my RNEG navigation, so I managed to return about 3/4 of the total investment in the end ...
vborovic
Locked user account

Post by vborovic »

I'm very glad to announce that today I've received the Alpine screens + central unit, in very good shape as it was promised by the seller ... tested the units, all seems to be working, however I didn't try running the 2 screens both at the same time, because my testing power supply gives only 1A of power, which is not enough for everything to be up ... the 1A seems to be enough for only one screen, so there's a future reference if needed ... I'm also glad I've managed to calculate exactly the size of the screens, by using a picture of them and scaling it up to exact dimensions (I'm off by 0,5 mm on the sides) ... now, the hard part, stripping one screen from the headrest (they're already built into leather headrests from a newer Passat), and figuring out how to install them into my headrests ... the screens themselves would fit, but their brackets, which are of course larger in both height & width, so they don't allow for an easy solution ... will have to give it a long brainstorming on how to approach this problem ...