Forum Upgrade and Move on 1st October *Complete*

Forum News, Announcements and any issues you're having with the forum

Moderator: myglaren

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Forum Upgrade and Move on 1st October *Complete*

Post by CitroJim »

You can always uninstall it if it doesn't float your boat Richard... No harm done...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Except that damn near every app install means you give permission for it to transload EVERYTHING on your mobile device. Read texts, harvest email addresses, read your emails, look at your pictures, report your physical location... So even if you install, then uninstall - the app can theoretically skim off an awful lot of stuff about you to help pestering marketers build a picture of what to niggle you with. Apple is slightly better than Android off the bat, otherwise you might be safer with a rooted Android.
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

CitroJim wrote:You can always uninstall it if it doesn't float your boat Richard... No harm done...
I have a few issues with that idea Jim, firstly I really cannot abide the idea of pandering to the annoying tactics that Tapatalk operates by and should I install it I'll have succumbed to a complete irritant and encouraged what to me are unacceptable practices. If I install it then uninstall it I'll be even worse off than before as I'l no doubt get badgered by Tapatalk one way or another plus as Addo points out also allowed then access to my data.

Quite why I need Tapatalk in my life is beyond me as I'd never and an issue accessing the forum until Tapatalk came along,,,,,,
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
Ben82
My Cars: C5 V6 2004

Post by Ben82 »

Jim, take a look here: https://support.tapatalk.com/threads/re ... alk.26518/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

At least that should be 1 nag down. :)
2004 Citroen C5 3L V6 Auto
Brit living in Sweden with an imported from Germany French Car!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Ben82 wrote:Jim, take a look here: https://support.tapatalk.com/threads/re ... alk.26518/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

At least that should be 1 nag down. :)
Thanks Ben :-D

I'll give that a try next time I'm in the server..

Richard, I'm sorry for all this awfulness you're experiencing. I'll do all I can to resolve it. I'd say I'd get rid of Tapatalk but I think thta would result in a big backlash from the generally satisfied users of it..

Rocks and hard places come to mind here... :twisted:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
DickieG
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

I'm certainly not having a go at you or anyone in the forum mod team and I hope it hasn't come across like that Jim, apologies if it has :oops:

I'm just wondering how/why Tapatalk appears to have taken such an annoying hold over accessing the forum, personally I just wish Tapabloodytalk would go away and stop annoying me. If people want to use it fine go and enjoy it but for others such as myself who don't want it just stop getting in the way.
Last edited by DickieG on 04 Oct 2014, 10:32, edited 1 time in total.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Ben, I've just carried out the modification to the Tapatalk configuration as you posted.

Can you and Richard see if that's improved matters please?

I've just functionally tested Tapatalk using my Windows phone to check it still works but can't do further than that, not being a tablet taker or an apple cruncher...

I await news...

Meanwhile I'm off to the butchers...
Jim

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

DickieG wrote:I'm certainly not having a go at you or anyone in the forum mod team and I hope it hasn't come across like that Jim, apologies if it has :oops:

I'm just wondering how/why Tapatalk appears to have taken such an annoying hold over accessing the forum, personally I just wish Tapabloodytalk would go away and stop annoying me. If people want to use it fine go and enjoy it but for others such as myself who don't want it just stop getting in the way.
No, not at all Richard, you know me too well for that. It's just I'm really feeling for all of you affected as I know how dammed annoying it is. If I were in the situation I'd be going bonkers..

See if Ben's mod has helped at all...

I'll be mobile in a bit.. On Tapatalk.... To keep an eye on this...

Oh and by the way, we are on the very latest version of Tapatalk..
Jim

Ben82

Post by Ben82 »

For me that seems to have returned it to the way it used to be.. Just the initial popup (second nag). So that seems to have gotten rid of the first and the last one. :)
DickieG
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

CitroJim wrote:Ben, I've just carried out the modification to the Tapatalk configuration as you posted.

Can you and Richard see if that's improved matters please?
Perfect, just like you Jim :-D I've tested it on my iPad and Android tablet no annoying banners, well done that man =D> =D>
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

That's very encouraging Ben :-D

Richard, just seen your latest reply. Excellent :-D I am delighted and happy again.

Ben, thanks so much for digging out that mod. Really, really appreciated :-D

That's a relief. I'd better do the same mod to the BXC now...

Butchers first though...
Jim

Ben82

Post by Ben82 »

CitroJim wrote:That's very encouraging Ben :-D

Richard, just seen your latest reply. Excellent :-D I am delighted and happy again.

Ben, thanks so much for digging out that mod. Really, really appreciated :-D

That's a relief. I'd better do the same mod to the BXC now...

Butchers first though...
No Problem Jim :)
vborovic
Locked user account
My Cars: A used Citroen

Post by vborovic »

I could be wrong, but I think there is something wrong with the cookies option to remember you each time you close the browser ... a really quick check, when the new session starts, the domain is http://frenchcarforum.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, after the login, it turns to http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... "www" difference ... also, after I log in, I don't get any cookie information (Firefox Web Developer Toolbar) ... it seems the cookies are fixed to the non-www path ... can you check this out?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

vborovic wrote:I could be wrong, but I think there is something wrong with the cookies option to remember you each time you close the browser ... a really quick check, when the new session starts, the domain is http://frenchcarforum.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, after the login, it turns to http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... "www" difference ... also, after I log in, I don't get any cookie information (Firefox Web Developer Toolbar) ... it seems the cookies are fixed to the non-www path ... can you check this out?
Yes, good point.. Thanks :-D

I know the forum cookie domain is http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and on the BX Club which shares hosting it's .bxclub.co.uk

Whether or not that makes a difference I don't know but all I know is my browsers seem to remember me on both forums as expected...

I'm soon to build the contingency/standby forum servers so will do some more experimentation there rather than risk upsetting the production server if I get it wrong...

My gosh, this is casing a lot of fun :twisted:

Keen to get it right though...
Jim

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

My cookies seem to be OK with a seldom seen variance.
Occasionally a thread will open at the first post, not the most recent one. This thread was one initially but has now corrected itself.

It also would not flag as read, on being read. Only option was to click the "This Forum Read" button.
That was a few days ago and only persisted for about 12 hours.

Can't check the BXC as it appears to have lost my username and I have forgotten the password anyway :(