Forum Upgrade and Move on 1st October *Complete*

Forum News, Announcements and any issues you're having with the forum

Moderator: myglaren

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Forum Upgrade and Move on 1st October *Complete*

Post by CitroJim »

Unless you hear to the contrary I shall be moving the forum to a shiny brand-new server and upgrading the forum software to the latest version on the morning of the 1st October.

I shall also take the opportunity to repair the currently broken Tapatalk installation.

The new sever is indeed that, brand-spanking new and running 64 bit CentOS 7. It is currently being tested extensively off-line to check it is good to go and be reliable in service. It has also been carefully hardened to make it less vulnerable to those of malicious intent.

I have been practising the upgrade process and Tapatalk repair on it. Some of you may receive odd topic reply notifications with broken links. That's just me carrying out extensive testing.

I will take the forum off-line at 4am on the appointed morning. If all goes well it'll be back up and on-line again around 8 or 9am if not a bit before. During the outage the forum URL will be switched over to suitably worded maintenance holding pages to explain what's going on.

I'm also having my Activa MOT'd on that day...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Re: Forum Upgrade and Move on 1st October

Post by myglaren »

What can possibly go wrong :roll:
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

myglaren wrote:What can possibly go wrong :roll:
DON'T SAY THAT!!!! Everything, now!
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Hell Razor5543 wrote:
Nah! It'll be fine James, Jim is on it :)
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

myglaren wrote:
Hell Razor5543 wrote:
Nah! It'll be fine James, Jim is on it :)
But now you said what you said the gremlins will have heard and will be on the lookout, despite Jims' best efforts. Maybe somebody needs to ride shotgun to protect him and the server?
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

What is the point of Tapatalk? From what I can make out all it wants to do is add clutter to a mobile device that doesn't need it.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

DickieG wrote:What is the point of Tapatalk? From what I can make out all it wants to do is add clutter to a mobile device that doesn't need it.
I often wonder but I only have a stupidphone and couldn't use it anyway.
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

DickieG wrote:What is the point of Tapatalk? From what I can make out all it wants to do is add clutter to a mobile device that doesn't need it.
I find it easier to use than the forum on the real internet. I use Tapatalk Pro 4.6.2 on a Samsung Galaxy Note 3, but it does have a 6" screen with very clear text. Gives me something to do when it's quiet at work, though I only really use it on here and the Berlingoforum these days. I think it only cost me 99p, but it works well.

Funnily, it's complete s**t on the iPad, and I find it very annoying to use on that particular device.
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

I find Tapatalk works really well on my phone, which is a Samsung galaxy 3 and I take all my pics on the phone now and it is much easier to upload them.
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I've tried Tapatalk and to be honest it doesn't float my boat but I'm happy to provide it for those that do use it..

I've rehearsed the move and upgrade more times than I've had hot dinners so we should be OK!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

superloopy wrote:What's wrong with the TT installation anyway?
I don't know exactly Mike, not being a user of same. All I know is that if you try to configure it from the forum Admin Control Panel that bit doesn't work and throws errors and the couple of times I've tried to use TT as a new user on it I can't see the forum.

Interesting that it is working for you...

Anyway, no worries as I know what to do to make in work from my point of view and at the same time it will be updated to the latest version...

I'm off to do a bit more playing with the TT installation as it stands so I can properly test the update and fixed on next week...
Jim

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Re:

Post by CitroJim »

superloopy wrote:Have there been complaints that it isn't working for people?
No but don't worry Mike, I won't break it, promise! :wink:
Jim

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

I'll be fixing the fact that as it stands I can't administer it :wink:

Mike, I am, for my sins, a professional IT engineer. I do this kind of thing for my living in a very critical and demanding environment so please stop worrying!

I WILL NOT break TT. OK?

:)
Jim

Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Doing similar but different work Jim, I have every faith in you. If you need any end-user testing at ungodly hours after the upgrade I'm happy to re register, kill my Tapatalk, purge all the data and test as much as you like.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Does the latest version of phpBB have a "like" button? :P