C5 X7 2-in-1 navigation tutorial

This section is for General Enquiries or for Systems not Covered Above

Moderator: GiveMeABreak

vborovic
Locked user account
My Cars: A used Citroen

Post by vborovic »

Ladies and gents, for all those who enjoy reading a picture book (step by step guide if you will), I've prepared a treat ... first, how to install a myway (RNEG) navigation in a car that previously only had just a regular radio unit (RD4) ... the other is replacing a myway navigation with the newer emyway (RT6) navigation ... no Citroen Service required, a one-man job, after a lot of reading, exploring and ordering the necessary parts ... with twist and turns every few steps ... The next two posts will describe into detail each procedure ...

The motivation for such double endeavor was simple: first I got my hands on a RT6 unit (with a DG4 screen), really cheap ... and since the PSA nav units are scarce and hard to find as 2nd hand, this was a do-or-die situation ... :D ... anyways, that meant that my old setup had to go (hence the spare parts I'm selling), and I've managed to find a buyer for the old navigation ... the good thing about all of this was the experience gained and seeing how stuff works ... the bad thing was a lot of time spent in neutral gear due to unexpected problems and a few nerves that probably aren't working as they should ... :D ...
vborovic
Locked user account

Re: C5 X7 2-in-1 navigation tutorial

Post by vborovic »

RD4 -> myWay

Few initial photos:

Image Image Image

Not exactly the start, since at this point I've already put the LDVS cable (metal, square) through. The RD4 had the quad-lock and the antenna in the radio compartment, and the single screen was connected by one connector (brown one), the black one on the right is for the hazard lights.

After putting the GPS receiver (FAKRA) behind the screen area (it has a single vertical metal column, something, and it attached itself to it nicely), I had to place the other video support cable, 6-pin black connector (the multi-color wires are on it's other end) ... to get a better feel of the matter, visit http://rt4.wikidot.com/pinouts" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, which I used as a reference. The LDVS cable, the 2nd video cable, GPS receiver, screen holder plates & screws had to be ordered, some new, some 2nd hand, I won't go into details about that.

The pinouts were done according to the previous link, and it was all nicely done, with no hassle, and the result was the pre-ignition state:

And the first ignition followed:

No, the previous picture wasn't edited, that's exactly what I saw after turning the ignition on, the screen image was upside down ... while everything else was fully functioning as it should ... after checking the obvious mistakes (wiring, turning the screen wrongly ... which is physically impossible to begin with), I've managed to track the error with the help of a friend, who suggested to remove one cable of the grounding from that black 6-pin connector (2 were to begin with) ... and, it worked, the picture was back to normal.

I have to point out that the unit was working, eve though the VIN was still registered to my car, not the target car ... I had to do some DiagBoxing to turn off some features that the target car doesn't have compared to mine (parking sensors i.e.), and did the VIN coding, just for the peace of mind.

The end result can be seen on the final picture:

The whole procedure was done today, with the preparations going for 2 weeks (ordering required parts), so I basically knew everything what needs to be done and how (in theory at least). The procedure was done in 3 hours, with no hurries. AS it can be seen on the final picture, the wheel screen displays the navigation (although the message displays zone not mapped, which could indicate an error, in this case the zone is out of the map's road ... around 30 feet) ...

This "simple" procedure really lifted the car interior, and it feels like a totally different car now. The only thing that is missing for it to work as it should is the microphone, which I'll have to get around somehow, so the driver can use the phone function (which works of course, but since there is no microphone, unusable in practice) ... other potential upgrade to that car would be the rear parking sensors, but that's not my idea, but the owners' ... :D ...
Last edited by vborovic on 14 May 2014, 23:12, edited 1 time in total.
vborovic
Locked user account

Post by vborovic »

myway -> emyway

This was much simpler than the previous job (but chronologically this was the first to be done), because the only things that had to be done is just to replace the nav units and the screens, the wiring stayed the same, no additional components or parts were necessary.

The emyway (RT6) unit and the matching screen (DG4), because it won't work with the RNEG/RT4 screen:

Image Image

The installation phase is shown below:

Image Image

First ignition and different modes:

Here's where it gets interesting, after putting the plastic cover back on:

The cover "cuts" the screen on the top. I was surprised to find out that the new screen is slightly taller than the old one (2,5 mm approx), and until today I had the old cover in place, with the new cover being ordered from Citroen. The interesting thing is, we ordered per VIN number by their display car which has emyway installed from the manufacturer, and last week the exact plastic cover that I have arrived ... how, what, why ... no one is really sure, the part number was matching the Service Documentation ... anyways, the order was disputed to the Citroen (Croatia and then back to France), and the new, required cover with the bigger screen hole should arrive in a few hours. Who knew such unexpected problems would happen.

Now, one of the yet unresolved problems is with the wheel screen, it won't display the navigation data, it just displays zone not mapped (remember the previous post, where that means that really the zone is not mapped, in this case, it means no data is being transferred from the nav unit to the instrument panel) ... Everything was done as it should've been, I went through DiagBox three times over, nothing ... went to the Citroen Service, and asked them to do the BSI update, supposedly it could help, but, no, it didn't ... the only software thing that can be done is to try and update the instrument panel (if possible) ... luckily I can do without the navigation information on the small screen (it can be turned off in DiagBox to not be displayed while rotating the display modes), but since I'm looking for a 100% solution, I haven't given up on this yet.

Although I've said in the beginning that no additional parts were required, I went for the genuine USB cable and the USB/Aux connector in the glovebox. Without that, you can't do map/speedcam updates, or obviously, play USB/iPod music. The firmware updates are done via CD, like on the RNEG i.e.

Was it worth it (not looking into finances, but even that is not that expensive, since I've managed to sell the old one)? I'd say yes, the emyway displays track names and folders from the USB stick, Bluetooth music streaming works (but just the phone name is displayed, no music info), the maps are more fluid in animation, the interface is more to my liking, the speed limits are displayed where available ... the thing that hasn't changed from the previous configuration is that the phone signal (visual representation) still gets lost when you go into roaming (which I occasionally do), and until you reconnect the phone, it will be displayed as no signal ... but when you get used to it, you know how it works ...

The RT6 has an active cooling (fan), which makes some noise compared to the RNEG, but that isn't bothering me, at least I know it will be slightly cooler than the previous unit (which would heat the lower compartment a lot after 2+ hours of drive ...). I've tried using the USB with the USB HDD (2.5", single cable, FAT32), but the emyway refuses to see it (the HDD works, because it gets electricity from the USB connector), but no interaction with the nav unit ... regular USB sticks seem to work just fine.

The final situation looks like this:

The currently unsolved situation with the "Zone not mapped", happens because somewhere along the line of communication the instrument panel doesn't know how to display what the emyway is sending, if it is sending anything ...

IMPORTANT EDIT: It took me almost a year, but I've finally resolved the "Zone not mapped" mystery ... the said error was driving me nuts, and with the help of Mira (yep, the guy who's behind MiraScripts, those of you who know about that), I've located the one single parameter that was wrongly set on my device (since I've obtained it obviously), so now I have a fully working instrument panel matrix navigation display once again.

The parameter is 1.9.146. and it can be within 0-4 range, the setting that worked for me was 3 (2 was almost working, with no street names displayed). How that looks like is visible below:

Parameter 2

You can compare the previous image, on it there is no compass visible, and no altitude shown (hence, no data get's transferred from the RT6 unit to the matrix display)

Parameter 3

Here everything is 100% fully working (as fresh from the factory)
Last edited by vborovic on 06 Apr 2015, 17:25, edited 4 times in total.
Xantippa
My Cars: Now:
C5 X7 HDi 240 Exclusive Tourer
ZOE 22kwh Intense
Before:
C4 1,6 Coupe Automatic
C5 X7 HDi136 Exclusive Sedan A
Xantia HDi110 Berline
Xantia 1,8SX Berline

Post by Xantippa »

Cool. Can you please give me exact measures of the new panels display hole. I was planning to install 7" android tablet in dash, but the hole in the old panel is way too low.
vborovic
Locked user account

Post by vborovic »

The RNEG one should be 154 mm x 88 mm, while the newer for the DG4 screen is 154 mm x 93,5 mm ... (~ 1 mm tolerance due to having a slightly inappropriate measuring device) ... I was surprised while installing the new screen, because it didn't really occur to me that there is any difference compared to the old one (visually the same in every aspect), until I've put the plastic cover over it ...
Jodyone

Post by Jodyone »

Wow nice one- a bit more involved than my installing of your old USB box... which I have yet to hide behind the dash somewhere, but otherwise works great.
2006 C6 Exclusive, 2.7 HDi
mooseshaver
My Cars:

Post by mooseshaver »

Very good. This is something I want very much.
C5 III Tourer 2.0 HDi 163 Auto Exclusive
Gone cars.
C5 2.2 HDi Exclusive Estate auto 57. Awesome car. Sadly Could not be fixed by Citroen.
C5 1.6 HDi VTR Estate 56. Traded in.
C5 2.2 HDi SX Estate 02. Drowned in the floods of 09.
C3 1.4 HDi 92 SX 52.
Saxo 1.1 East Coast.
Xantippa
ZOE 22kwh Intense
Before:
C4 1,6 Coupe Automatic
Xantia HDi110 Berline
Xantia 1,8SX Berline

Post by Xantippa »

vborovic wrote:The RNEG one should be 154 mm x 88 mm, while the newer for the DG4 screen is 154 mm x 93,5 mm ... (~ 1 mm tolerance due to having a slightly inappropriate measuring device) ... I was surprised while installing the new screen, because it didn't really occur to me that there is any difference compared to the old one (visually the same in every aspect), until I've put the plastic cover over it ...
Nice. Nexus 7" has got 151mmx94mm screen, so it is very close. Where did you order the panel and how much did it cost? And what´s the part number for that new panel?
vborovic
Locked user account

Post by vborovic »

The panel was ordered directly from the Citroen Service, like written in the post, by taking one of their display models' VIN number with the emyway, and ordering the plastic cover by looking up for the dedicated part ... which turned out to be a mistake, because we've lost one week in waiting for a faulty item claim, because the Citroen higher-ups didn't know why the mix-up happened. The important guide is the new screens name, DG4, and the target part number in my case was 16069484ZD (Mistral Grey color) ... why this part doesn't begin with four zeroes, like "most" others, as it was explained to me, those with the 0000 in the first part are original parts that are put during manufacturing in the cars, and are available for a period of 5 years (supposedly), the part numbers which don't have leading zeroes are "replacements" which are offered, or to be more precise, have to be ordered if displayed for some part in the Service Documentation by the dealers ... usually they're somewhat cheaper (depending on the part, 10-15% than the genuine one), but the build and quality are the same, so go figure why the need for such a system ...

The panel price was around 230€ with VAT.

@ moose - The guy from whom I've bought my nav unit has one used emyway navigation unit (don't know about the screen) on offer, price with shipping roughly 300€ ...

EDIT: And I've also managed to find a RNEG unit + screen on ebay, like mine, USB BOX included, for around 500€
Xantippa
ZOE 22kwh Intense
Before:
C4 1,6 Coupe Automatic
Xantia HDi110 Berline
Xantia 1,8SX Berline

Post by Xantippa »

I´ve ordered that 16069478ZD from citroen-accessories.com to a friend of mine, and it had 88mm high opening. I thought there is some newer model too. This 16069478ZD isn´t the original part number though. I think sellers are selling old ones with new part-number because they don´t understand there´s a difference on these panels.

We tried to order this, which is the older model I think, but it wasn´t available in last year: http://www.citroen-accessories.com/home ... 069-4.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
vborovic
Locked user account

Post by vborovic »

Exactly ... that was the whole hold-up ... the only safe bet is to find in the general Service Documentation the part which has a description which contains "DG4" ... and find the matching interior plastic color to your interior ...
Xantippa
ZOE 22kwh Intense
Before:
C4 1,6 Coupe Automatic
Xantia HDi110 Berline
Xantia 1,8SX Berline

Post by Xantippa »

I just checked service.citroen.com that on 2014 model C5 VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff] has got 8231R7 -panel, which is the old model I think. Everything is messed up with those panels... 2014 should have that DG4 -model display??

I mean this car: http://www.nettiauto.com/citroen/c5/6241664#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

EDIT:

Display:
98 010 200 80

Radio:
16 115 080 ZD
vborovic
Locked user account

Post by vborovic »

Well, if the navigation is emyway, yes, it should be DG4, there is no other solution ... but, it's not impossible that the newest C5's still have just a radio unit option (meaning smaller range screen only, maybe that's the other car part) ... afaik, rneg should not be available anymore since late 2012 ... I could be wrong though ...
Xantippa
ZOE 22kwh Intense
Before:
C4 1,6 Coupe Automatic
Xantia HDi110 Berline
Xantia 1,8SX Berline

Post by Xantippa »

I´ll ask this from citroen-accessories, let´s see what they answer now. That 8231R7 is right, you can check it for your self in the service.citroen.com if you like. :)
vborovic
Locked user account

Post by vborovic »

No thanks, I'm done with spare parts for now ... :D ... there are less and less things I can put in my car now ... though I still have some ideas ...