And we're back but...

Forum News, Announcements and any issues you're having with the forum

Moderator: myglaren

Mandrake
My Cars:

Re: And we're back but...

Post by Mandrake »

That's funny Jim, I'm a little bit the opposite. I used to be able to watch horrors and movies where the action is quite gory when I was younger, it didn't bother me much at all, now I can't! I've become a lot more squeamish to that sort of thing, and some movies that I might have been able to watch 20 years ago would make me feel sick now.

That despite many years spent playing first person shooter games, which supposedly (if you believe the government nannies) desensitise you to violence... :roll: (apparently it didn't work on me!)
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

CitroJim wrote:The reason is that some users avatars are on the server. my restore was the database only and the server files I used are ones the server was originally built with and will therefore only have the avatars that were extant then. Hence why some are visible and oters aren't. The invisible ones will be the newer ones..

This does not avatars like mine that are hosted off-site. In fact I recommend that is the best way to host an avatar.
I just managed to rescue my avatar from the abyss! :-D

I noticed that it was appearing on this laptop that I don't often use on the forum and had the sense of mind to right click and save the file rather than refresh the page - I then tried a forced refresh of the page and sure enough it was gone - it must have been cached in the local browser file cache. So after rescuing it from my browser cache I've re-uploaded it. :)

I do have the original full size photo somewhere of course, but finding it, cropping it and scaling it again was a little more effort than I was willing to go to... :twisted:
Last edited by Mandrake on 26 Apr 2014, 07:51, edited 1 time in total.
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

That was a lucky one Simon :-D

We curse the cache sometimes but on other occasions it can be very valuable - as you have just found!

Excellent :-D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I've never been into horror films that much, but the worst one for me was Alien. At one point the creature grabs hold of somebody by the ankle. That would not have been a major problem but for one small external factor. My Mums' Siamese cat (Samantha) liked to sleep with humans (rather than on her own in her cat box), and her preferred place of resting was by the ankles. Her timing was perfect. At the moment the hapless victim was grabbed Samantha decided that night she wanted to use my ankles as her bed. The results were quite spectacular. It woke my Mum, I was found in the toilet gibbering to myself, my bedding was all over the floor (and how I didn't soil myself or them nobody knows!), and the cat was found on the top of a wardrobe she had never climbed before, a mass of hair, teeth, claws and loud swearing (and, oh boy, can a Siamese cat swear!). I can laugh about it now, but I still get nervous when that film is on and that scene comes up.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I hate horror films as a rule and will not watch them but ironically one of my all time favourites is a horror film. The Wicker Man.. The original of course, not the remake.

I don't just enjoy it for Britt Ekland either :)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

If anybody is interested, Avatar is on tonight at 20:15, on Channel 4
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Hell Razor5543 wrote:I've never been into horror films that much, but the worst one for me was Alien.
I was 5 when I first watched that film and remember asking my dad "Are ET's good creatures from outerspace and Aliens bad?" :)
For 2 weeks before seeing Alien3 I had recurring dreams involving Xenomorphs, often they're my most exciting and interesting dreams.

Anyway, just for Jim:

1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I don't seem to be able to suspend my disbelief although I do enjoy (some) films, so they are never scary other than one SF film when we snuck into the cinema way under the age we should have been (around 8 IIRC) and had nightmares for ages after.

For grim rather than scary Skyline takes some beating. Could be scary too, perhaps.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

myglaren wrote: For grim rather than scary Skyline takes some beating. Could be scary too, perhaps.
They got into a spot of bother with Sony over that film.

DIY sphere tool
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Xac wrote:
myglaren wrote: For grim rather than scary Skyline takes some beating. Could be scary too, perhaps.
And Nissan?

Why Sony?

It was this film that scared me, and only this one.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Xac wrote: Anyway, just for Jim:

:P Thanks Xac! =P~
Jim

Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

myglaren wrote:
Xac wrote:
And Nissan?

Why Sony?

It was this film that scared me, and only this one.
Ah Invaders from Mars is an excellent film, as is the 1950's version of War of the Worlds (the only good film version).

With Skyline, Sony were paying the brothers behind it to create the CGI for Battle Los Angeles. Some of the CGI is similar between the two, as though they used the time paid for by Sony to work on Skyline.
With Skyline coming out before Battle:LA and being low budget with actors who are normally found in secondary roles in TV series (Dexter, Haven etc) Sony understandably were concerned that it would detrimentally affect the box office returns of Battle:LA.
In the end, Skyline was such a flop and Battle:LA made a fair profit, Sony decided not to pursue any legal action. Something tells me they may be using someone else if they decide to go ahead with Battle:LA2

DIY sphere tool
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I watched both. Battle LA I thought to be even worse than Skyline.
I don't know why I bother. Watched Battleship and Pacific Rim and it's spoof. Rubbish all of them.
And Cloverfield ? :shock:
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

myglaren wrote:I watched both. Battle LA I thought to be even worse than Skyline.
I don't know why I bother. Watched Battleship and Pacific Rim and it's spoof. Rubbish all of them.
And Cloverfield ? :shock:
Pacific Rim wasn't that bad, but it's definitely a leave your brain at the door movie, although it did have a bit of depth and story line with the invading creatures. The sequel will probably be of a similar vein.

DIY sphere tool
demag
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: "H" Citroen Bx Tgs Automatic.
2006 Toyota Prius T4 Gen 2.

Post by demag »

I'm confused. Yes I know it doesn't take a lot, it's my age. Since the outage a few weeks back I can't use Tapatalk. I know Jim did explain it wasn't enabled on the back up server but I'm not sure what server we are on. Are we still on back up or are we on the main server? Or is it me that's the problem as my phone is doing some odd things at the moment. #-o
Dave
2011 Peugeot 3008 1.6hdi Exclusive EGS.
'04 C5 auto estate 2.2 hdi. Gone.
Bx 1.6 TGS Auto 50k A rare beast by all accounts. A bit tired but getting better by the day. Gone.
'96 XM 2.5TD VSX.......Sadly sold. What an idiot! I should have held on to that.