Hello and 405's Breaking

A forum for new members to introduce themselves to the rabble already onboard. Not compulsory!
Tell us a little about yourself, lie if you have to but keep it to just an introduction, not a car discussion.

Moderator: RichardW

Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
(Donor 2018)
My Cars: 405 naD Est

Hello and 405's Breaking

Post by Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur »

Hi all, quick hello as I'm browsing the Forums.

As you can see I've got as far as the "Introductions" bit so far :-D

I did my homework when I returned to car ownership 7 years ago and decided an XUD engined Pug / Cit was the thing for me, started with a 309, progressed to a ZX I didn't like much and am on my second 405 estate; all of 'em normally aspirated

I do all my own maintenance as you'd expect of a vehicle in this price bracket. On the list is a new aux belt tensioner I might've just sourced*, investigation to a recent MOT advisory OSF brake pride corroded and investigation to poorly performing rear brakes; less so when she's loaded up and the load valve comes into play.

Big thumbs up go to a local (GL7 area) garage who did the NS steering rack gaiter that I and numerous others wouldn't attempt; cheap too. Not much I won't take on but that, no way (PAS ram fixing in the way).

And to an 'old school' mud, puddles, take it off yourself; Breakers yard in the West Berkshire area who currently have (sadly) no less than FIVE (!) 405 estates in; plus one Saloon in a range of colours and conditions; including one that's a petrol and two with especially lovely interiors... I could fancy myself but can't justify the expense for non-essential items.

Talking of 'justifying expense' would quite like my good rear tyres on 405 centre-less alloys (ugly things) swapped to a pair of steels I have, without paying £40 for the privelege. If anyone here has a facility to offer this service that'd be grand!

Similarly, anyone need info feel free to contact me

*but fear I've got the wrong one, small one goes on the side of the alloy sump on the air con equipped cars, runs BENEATH the belt; not the big one with the tail that's much more common.
Puxa
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Hello and 405's Breaking

Post by CitroJim »

Welcome, always good to see a 405 owner here. I ran 405s before going over to Citroen and loved them to bits :-D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

hi and welcome

GSF refer to the tensioner i belive you require as a lollypop type,

as in the link below

http://www.ebay.co.uk/ctm/Peugeot-306-4 ... Tensioner-" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

do you know the condition/age/mileage of the cam belt
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
(Donor 2018)
My Cars: 405 naD Est

Post by Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur »

thanks for the replies guys, and some serious envy; BX's and Xantia's eh. Always liked the styling of them and could fancy either of those in estate form; seeing three such vehicles on a regular basis only adds to my desire but I'd rather be without the hydraulic suspension.

Thanks for the link Citronut, no, its not that one. Its the bottom idler. My new one's a small idler on a big square bracket (tried to attach a pic but it said "board attachment quote reached" which lives directly behind the 'lollypop'. It only features on the Serpentine belt with the alloy sump, which has a casting to take one of the fittings for this.

I'm putting off fitting this rather nasty skanky condition 'new... but its the best I can do,' item from a 215k vehicle til I've also got time to do a brake service. It'll look nicer after a good wire brushing no doubt; and hopefully the bearings are ok. I've already done the lolllypop and the top idler.

Thanks for the mention of the cam belt, mine was done 27k ago at 179k in 2010, so I'm good for a while
Puxa
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur wrote: I'd rather be without the hydraulic suspension.
There's absolutely nothing to be scared of there at all. In fact everything to love..

The pages of this forum demystify the suspension completely...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Welshy_Pete
My Cars: 306 hdi 1999 + 306 hdi 2000

Post by Welshy_Pete »

Hello welcome to the French Peugeot, Citroen and Renault car forum.