Northern_Mike

Re: facebook page ?

Post by Northern_Mike »

duncan bladen wrote:whats google+ ?
Facebook for Linux users..

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Northern_Mike wrote:
duncan bladen wrote:whats google+ ?
Facebook for Linux users..
Linux users have better things to do with their lives :wink:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

CitroJim wrote: Linux users have better things to do with their lives :wink:
Actually that is a very good description of it.
While Facebook is full of cat photos, G+ is full of scientific discussions, political debates, conversations about Dr Who, and the latest news relating to Ingress.
Circles enable you to specify which groups of people can view your posts.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

I like pictures of cats, and I can set up friends lists to specify who can view my posts on facebook. I seem to get much less creepy targeted advertising now I've moved away from Google too..
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Northern_Mike wrote:I like pictures of cats, and I can set up friends lists to specify who can view my posts on facebook. I seem to get much less creepy targeted advertising now I've moved away from Google too..
Sure that's not just from staying away from creepy sites? :)

The only site I regularly go to with targetted advertisments is Xda and they don't use google. Wish more companies did though, then there'd be fewer instances of scareware getting onto home user's computers thanks to non google advertisements from hacked websites.
Actually, given all the information Google could have on me, I don't think I get any targeted adverts from them (other than sponsored links when searching).
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

I started to notice it from them obviously searching for keywords in emails - which they admit to doing. I'd sent an email to my dad about the Berlingo mis-fuelling incident, and within 4 hours, I was getting sidebar ads for Emergency fuel draining services for misfuelling and I sent something about M&S bra-fitting to my missus, then started getting sidebar ads for bras. I've had loads of car-related ads from my emails.

Now I use Outlook.com for my mail, they've stopped.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Northern_Mike wrote:I started to notice it from them obviously searching for keywords in emails - which they admit to doing. I'd sent an email to my dad about the Berlingo mis-fuelling incident, and within 4 hours, I was getting sidebar ads for Emergency fuel draining services for misfuelling
That's really, really naughty and should be banned forthwith...

Why do people tolerate it?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

CitroJim wrote:
Northern_Mike wrote:I started to notice it from them obviously searching for keywords in emails - which they admit to doing. I'd sent an email to my dad about the Berlingo mis-fuelling incident, and within 4 hours, I was getting sidebar ads for Emergency fuel draining services for misfuelling
That's really, really naughty and should be banned forthwith...

Why do people tolerate it?
I don't any more, hence my change of email services. I expect Microsoft do it in some way. I've never had any issues, and I store all my data on Skydrive now instead of google services. Took ages to download it and sort it all, then upload it again, but Skydrive is easier to use for me anyway.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Good and I won't. End of...

Ubuntu has a good cloud called Ubuntu One... I use it as a backup for non-sensitive things...
Jim

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I never see any adverts - except on the rare occasions I boot Windows 7 up.
The Ubuntu1 cloud is pretty good but I've had stuff in the Google Drive from long before it became that and had no problems - until last week when my daughter was required to fill in an online pdf application that we had a few problems with. Uploaded it to Gdrive and it stripped out all the information that was there :(.
It was only a backup as the main one was in Ubuntu1 so there wasn't a disaster but could have been.
duncan bladen
My Cars:

Post by duncan bladen »

just hadnt heard of it , despite using computers since 1988, and building them /repairing them since 2001
1st french car : pug 306 1996 1.9 xld
2nd french car ; ren megane 2001 1400 16v classic
3rd french car : cit xsara ph1 hdi 5dr 2000
current car : cit xsara picasso hdi 2003