International Citroën Car Clubs Rally 2012

A place to discuss any upcoming meets, club rallies and general get togethers.

Moderator: RichardW

DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Re: International Citroën Car Clubs Rally 2012

Post by DickieG »

Citroenmad wrote:I really hate camping! I have looked into places nearby to stay but most seem booked up. Its only 70 miles from me thought so I can see me darting home some nights. Other than that, ill be camping :|
Hmm, noisy neighbours disturbing your sleep, shower's in portacabins smothered in grass cuttings, the long walk to filthy toilets (both with massive queues each morning), many fellow campers not bothering with taking a shower :evil: Oh and the chances of it not raining for a week Yorkshire.

So then, why don't you enjoy camping? :? :lol:
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

DickieG wrote:
Citroenmad wrote:I really hate camping! I have looked into places nearby to stay but most seem booked up. Its only 70 miles from me thought so I can see me darting home some nights. Other than that, ill be camping :|
Hmm, noisy neighbours disturbing your sleep, shower's in portacabins smothered in grass cuttings, the long walk to filthy toilets (both with massive queues each morning), many fellow campers not bothering with taking a shower :evil: Oh and the chances of it not raining for a week Yorkshire.

Camping is for filthy depraved perverts who like sleeping in what is effectively a large cloth/plastic bag, in close proximity to others of a similar bent, in a field.

It's atrocious. I detest it. It's fun when you are 10 years old or younger, then it is just horrible.
Citroening
My Cars: Various Makes/Models Nowadays...

Post by Citroening »

The trouble is with when they released a couple of years ago to buy the bargain tickets for £50 or so, who knows what you're going to be doing then. 8-[ We didn't even know if we was still going to be here or not. Certainly the case for Roger - I don't think he had bought any tickets but would his family have got reimbursed? Hopefully so...

The ICCCR is getting fairly close now, and the 'talk' of it from a past few years has dragged on a lot IMO. It'll be interesting to see "what it's like on the night" and how things have come together - in theory it does sound like a very nice event...

I've heard on the grapevine that to break even, they have to get 2000 cars in. At the moment they've got 1440 cars. I certainly cannot see another 560 cars turning up so sounds like they're going to be onto a loss... #-o

I still think that the bargain tickets were a lot of money TBH. I know that it's not the same scale however at last years CX, XM and Xantia Rally we charged just £5 for the whole weekend, regardless if you're camping or not - this seemed to work, as there was a great turnout.

TBH I think it's one of those "like it or lump it" events and to be quite honest I'm looking forward more to the CX, XM and Xantia Rally the following month. :-D

We're not pushing the boat out to get any cars there and it'll probably just be the C6. I might follow up in the C4 however there's the cost implications again - entrance to the show, and then petrol getting up there. I've said it before however it's not exactly a central location, but obviously that can't be changed. :roll: We've already got a family holiday booked for the in Yorkshire anyway, but accommodation is from Saturday to Saturday so the last day of the event will be missed. Dad might go for one day (thus one day tickets would be nice...) and I still don't know how many I will go for. Perhaps all bar the Sunday, who knows... It'd be good if day tickets were available to buy as what's the point paying the whole week if you can't make all of it.

There's quite a few cars here that would be nice to see there but the cost of getting there would be silly - wages to pay drivers, accommodation for drivers, fuel for each of cars. Even if we had them transported up there if would be probably more as it's ~160 miles one way. Simply not worth the effort - a few BXers want to see the Sport and/or 5800 Mile GT there, but what's the point...

I'll admit that's quite negative, however I really do hope it will be a success of an event and will try to treat it as just a National Rally. Anything better is a bonus... :)
Franklin
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Activa_Mike wrote:
DickieG wrote:

Camping is for filthy depraved perverts who like sleeping in what is effectively a large cloth/plastic bag, in close proximity to others of a similar bent, in a field.

It's atrocious. I detest it. It's fun when you are 10 years old or younger, then it is just horrible.
I always took a double airbed, pillows and duvet, they'd fit perfectly in the 3 man tent.
Last time I camped though I used Cassy, a not quite fully inflated double airbed in the boot with the seats down, was a lovely night's sleep.
Danielle though doesn't do camping, she's not happy with a thin bit of material between her and the outside world, hence why we were looking at renting a holiday home but due to the dates and the location it just wasn't worth it.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Citroening wrote:I still think that the bargain tickets were a lot of money TBH. I know that it's not the same scale however at last years CX, XM and Xantia Rally we charged just £5 for the whole weekend, regardless if you're camping or not - this seemed to work, as there was a great turnout.
You've hit the nail on the head there Franklin, price it to what the market can stand to encourage people to go otherwise and as appears to be the case here attendances will be poor. Charge a lower price to get people in then look to recover some lost gate revenue from the increased sales of food and merchandise due to higher attendance figures.

Timing it to clash with the Olympic's immediately rules out most UK public sector workers from attending as leave is cancelled for that period with most working 12 hour shifts for 6 consecutive days at a time. There's also a substantial number of self employed people who will be working on lucrative contracts which require you to be available for the full duration of the Olympics so there's no way you're going to miss out on thousands of £'s work in the present climate so go to a car show. Then take into account others who simply want to watch the Olympic's it wouldn't surprise me at all if the ICCCR makes a loss due to such poor foresight, none of this should come as a surprise to anyone with an ounce of common sense or small amount of business acumen.

From the organising/backing clubs point of view why are they not offering a discount to club members? Without that many people will query what point there is in paying subs to a club if you don't get some benefit from being a member.

As I understand it the grand plan with day tickets is to leave it as late as possible to announce them to encourage people to cough up for a 5 day ticket, then charge whatever is necessary to recover any potential shortfall. Quite how that will work is lost on me because if your information on numbers is correct they will be asking something like £25+ per person per day, who on earth will pay that?

At £80 the idea of offering free camping is flawed right from the start as for many people it's totally irrelevant if you can't/don't camp, they may as well be including tickets for a free lunch on Jupiter with you having to provide your own transport!
Citroening wrote:I'll admit that's quite negative, however I really do hope it will be a success of an event and will try to treat it as just a National Rally. Anything better is a bonus... :)
I wouldn't say that Franklin, I see it as offering an honest/balanced opinion on the event, clearly there are a number of people frustrated about the event organisation, most who would appear to have wanted to go but now feel they cannot be bothered or justify the expense due to poor planning, how sad is that?
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I hate any form of camping*, I even detest any hotel stays. My two stays in Travelodges recently have been torture. I feel like I'm in prison...

I agree with all that has been said so far. If day tickets had been on offer from day one I would have put my name down immediately and committed to go and I'm sure, as has been said, they would have well passed the break-even point by now.

* One exception. A caravan with its own shower, loo and kitchen with hot and cold running water, central heating and mains electricity. We once had such a device. It was a 17' caravan and could be quite happily be towed behind a Xantia although to be fair it was mainly towed behind a Poxhall Chavalier as it was a few years back now. We had some fantastic camps in that in the most basic of camp sites. Even the more basic 14 footer we had later enjoyed most of the facilities of the original bigger one.

Proper civilised camping with ALL the comforts of home :-D It's the ONLY way I'll camp...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
robert_e_smart
My Cars:

Post by robert_e_smart »

I see it as offering an honest/balanced opinion on the event, clearly there are a number of people frustrated about the event organisation, most who would appear to have wanted to go but now feel they cannot be bothered or justify the expense due to poor planning, how sad is that?
No problem with that Richard, but I would like to hope that there are a lot of people planning to go to the event, and hoping to have a good time; I for one am heading over with a car to visit the show for most of the duration.

I hope that this moaning and crying isn't going to put off other people who were thinking of going along.
1990 XM 2.1 Turbo SD
1991 BX 16 TGS Auto
1992 ZX 1.6 Aura Auto
1994 Xantia 2.0 16V VSX
2008 C5 2.7 Exclusive
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

seeing as theres an active chat about day tickets i emailed them over the weekend asking about the price for day tickets.. i got a response too... between 20 and 30 quid.. so about 25 quid was the reply i got.. however i was failed to be notified if this was per person or per car..
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
MTND
My Cars: Xantia 1.9td sx early N reg 1995. owned 17 years!
Alfa Romeo 916 Spider 2005.
Ford Focus Titanium X 2017, Nearly done 300 miles

Post by MTND »

Hi All

Went for a day trip to France on Saturday and had a really lovely time! Went with P&O £30 for car and four people :)
Can someone remind me how much the Classic Motor Show at the NEC cost for a day ticket, I believe its slightly under £20?

I may just be able to make it for the day from Cambridgeshire as it's in between two holidays in Turkey and Devon so I may have to work the weekend.
No one else in the family will want to come so just one person in my car.

I'd agree with all the above but will, sorry Richard even though I understand, remain a member of the CCC and look forward to the CXM & Midland rally :oops:

regards

Mark
1995 Xantia 1.9 TD SX owned 17 years
Alfa Romeo 916 GTV Spider 2005
Ford Focus Titanium X 2017
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

I have trouble sleeping in my own bed let alone an airbed in a tent, I never get any sleep when camping :lol: Last time I went camping was about two years ago at the DSM. I was awake for most of the night listening to snoring around the field and then got up at about 6.00 and sat in the car as I just wasn't achieving anything laying in the tent :lol:

I suggested we drive down to the ICCCR every day, as its only 75 miles each way which is easily doable and is only for a week. But that didn't go down too well with my dad, I can see me driving home most nights though :lol: To try and stop that the car im taking is the 2cv, the least effective motorway cruiser :lol:

Some hotels are good Jim, just avoid the traveldodges. One of the better hotels I have stayed in was at the CCC National last year, I forget its name now but it was good. AC in the quite large rooms, your own balcony, decent sized TV, well appointed rooms and comfy beds. Could have done with a bit of updating but it was clean and tidy. Usually the chain hotels are pretty poor. I try and book with laterooms.com now, generally much better, cheaper and you can see the reviews from other guests.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
chopper602
My Cars:

Post by chopper602 »

Citroenmad wrote:I have trouble sleeping in my own bed let alone an airbed in a tent, I never get any sleep when camping :lol: Last time I went camping was about two years ago at the DSM. I was awake for most of the night listening to snoring around the field and then got up at about 6.00 and sat in the car as I just wasn't achieving anything laying in the tent :lol:
I find the addition of a few shandies helps me to sleep when I'm camping and as this is also the National 2CVGB meeting (shh!), there should be plenty of shandy available . . .
Tim
Teesside

1985 Citroën 2CV6
2011 Saab 9-5 2.0 TiD
2012 TEC RoTec Lift 652G Motorhome
2012 Toyota GT86
Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

chopper602 wrote:
Citroenmad wrote:I have trouble sleeping in my own bed let alone an airbed in a tent, I never get any sleep when camping :lol: Last time I went camping was about two years ago at the DSM. I was awake for most of the night listening to snoring around the field and then got up at about 6.00 and sat in the car as I just wasn't achieving anything laying in the tent :lol:
I find the addition of a few shandies helps me to sleep when I'm camping and as this is also the National 2CVGB meeting (shh!), there should be plenty of shandy available . . .
Ah, sounds like it might be a plan :lol:
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

robert_e_smart wrote:
I hope that this moaning and crying isn't going to put off other people who were thinking of going along.
I'm sure it won't Robert, it's a case of each to their own isn't it? It's just that some of those people don't seem to have been considered. I sincerly hope that those who are going really enjoy the event and get as much out of it as possible! :-D
Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

With the amount of organisation, thought, planning and time given up voluntarily to put this all together, the organisers really deserve a medal and I don’t understand this moaning at all. The prices seem fair to me and it’s a chance to go to an ICCCR event without the costs, travelling and time needed to go to a foreign event.

The only problem I can see is with the Olympics being the same week and some having difficulty getting the time off work due to it, which is unfortunate.

Im very much looking forward to it and im sure the 1500, or however many people booked in now, are too.
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
Citroening
My Cars: Various Makes/Models Nowadays...

Post by Citroening »

Spotted on the CCC:
mpopka wrote:Hi Folks,

Just to let you know that

Day Tickets will be available to purchase from the ICCCR E-Store http://tinyurl.com/ICCCR-Tickets from Sunday 1st of July.

Day ticket prices are as follows:
  • - Vehicle and Driver = £20
    - Passenger in vehicle = £10
    - Pedestrian = £15
    - Children 16 or under are free
    - Dogs are free
If you buy in advance you can pay by:
  • Sterling Cheque
    Sterling Bank Transfer (via BACS)
    EuroZone Transfer (€ Bank to € Bank)
    Credit/Debit Card
    AMEX
    PayPal
and save the need to queue and pay in cash (£ or €) at the gate.

For those who are not yet on T'Internet, postal bookings will be accepted.

Please tell them to ring or text 07766 785 563, provide their postal address and request a postal booking form (NOTE: 0044 7766 785 563 from outside the UK)

Regards
Mick

PS Please don't even think of comparing the day price with that of the Classic Car Show at the NEC.
I PROMISE THAT YOU WILL SEE THINGS THAT YOU HAVE NEVER SEEN BEFORE AND WILL NEVER SEE AGAIN!
Franklin