BX GTI engine and gearbox separating

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

henrysheil
My Cars:

BX GTI engine and gearbox separating

Post by henrysheil »

Has anyone else experienced the bottom bolt of their engine to gearbox attachment falling out, then the next one up breaking off from the engine block, so that the engine and gearbox tend to "sag", held together by the top three fasteners only, and in fact they begin to touch on the longitudinal member that runs below the engine? On certain conditions of driving the contact is audible as vibration or drumming.
If so, apart from the obvious one of buying a new engine block to fix the broken off bolt hole, has anyone a recommended fix, such as an extra piece of steel to hold the two together in the absence of one of the lower bolts. It appears that the bottom most bolt merely fell out due to inadequate tightening and has not stripped the threads, or at least that the threads are repairable with an insert.
I hope someone can help!
henrysheil
My Cars:

Post by henrysheil »

I think I have solved it by inserting a long UNC high tensile bolt of slightly over size (13/32" I think)into the bottom most hole, after removing the longitudinal member and jacking the engine and box up to close the slight gap. The next bolt up (in front of engine close to oil pan joint with engine block) is doing no work as the web has broken off the block. Here's hoping the bottom one holds up!