%&$@# apple products - sorry for the outage

Forum News, Announcements and any issues you're having with the forum

Moderator: myglaren

addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

My Father has a 32MB iPhone 4. Being a gadget lover, he quite likes it, especially the large keypad for texting.

He's about 70. According to some surveys that is not too far from being in the actual (as opposed to target) demographic of owners.

One good thing about construction trades is that people generally don't blather on about how their new electronic gizmo makes work easier... I'm yet to see a working shovel app, an iTrowel or an iHammer.

As to scripting - I don't for one minute think it's just Apple - MS seem to produce ever-bloated lumps of code for basic activities. I mean, how often does a new version of Windows or IE require appreciably less memory?
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

addo wrote: As to scripting - I don't for one minute think it's just Apple - MS seem to produce ever-bloated lumps of code for basic activities. I mean, how often does a new version of Windows or IE require appreciably less memory?
What's scary is that while they were developing O/S2 with IBM, one of the major contention points was the code, apparently IBM's developers considered MS's code to be too efficient and without enough descriptive comments!

In other news, I've managed to find Danielle's ipod charger so now the ipod has completed it's factory restore.
Course the hard drive is clicking a bit so it might be time to buy a replacement.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

The benefit of an iPhone is that as its so universal chargers and docking stations are available everywhere, the Parrot kit in my car has one, the alarm by my bed etc, can't think of any other phone that has so much choice, I honestly cannot remember that last time I used a specific charger lead. The choice of apps with an iPhone is second to none and the touch screen works beautifully, unlike those on other phones. I've had my 3GS for over two years and not the slightest hint of a problem.

As for HTC well everyone I've known to have one ends up getting frustrated and can't get rid of it quick enough, my Sister is the latest one to make that mistake. Blackberry's don't interest me as I don't riot or wish to be associated with them :lol: and I can't stand the stupid keypad which takes up half the screen where you need fingers as thin as pencils. The only other make I could consider would be Samsung but as they're Korean and Koreans' eat dog's,,,,,,,

Best I buy another iPhone when the time comes as then I won't have to think of all manner of silly excuses why I don't have one :lol:
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

DickieG wrote: As for HTC well everyone I've known to have one ends up getting frustrated and can't get rid of it quick enough
Oi! Don't diss the HTC. I love mine with a passion but then it is a Windows 7 version. It's near perfect...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
DickieG
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

CitroJim wrote:
DickieG wrote: As for HTC well everyone I've known to have one ends up getting frustrated and can't get rid of it quick enough
Oi! Don't diss the HTC. I love mine with a passion but then it is a Windows 7 version. It's near perfect...
Crikey I've met someone who's happy with an HTC :shock:
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

DG, what's wrong with a cultural tradition? It's not like the people in question are nicking the neighbour's King Charles and jamming it onto a spit... They're animals bred to be eaten, just like a lamb or steer.

I live in a part of Australia with the most Koreans by both percentage and actual numbers - they are fine, although the older folks have awful fashion sense (blokes in c.1950s American attire). Hard working tradesmen, too.
DickieG
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

addo wrote:DG, what's wrong with a cultural tradition? It's not like the people in question are nicking the neighbour's King Charles and jamming it onto a spit... They're animals bred to be eaten, just like a lamb or steer.
It might be a cultural tradition but it doesn't make it acceptable to me, especially when I've seen they way the dog's are slaughtered right in front of their mates in order to cause the greatest fear in other dogs supposedly to make their meat taste better :evil: If an animal needs killing for whatever reason then at least make it humane, which is why I'd never eat Halal meat so no burgers for me at Wembley or the like.

As for those who seek pleasure from killing animals such as in bull fighting and fox hunting they are uncivilised and mentally disturbed.

I've nothing against individuals of course but when such practices as defended as 'local culture' it makes me feel rather uncomfortable, we are in the 21st century and Korea isn't exactly in the middle of Africa.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

DickieG wrote:
CitroJim wrote:
Crikey I've met someone who's happy with an HTC :shock:
My daughter is delighted with hers.

Mine is a bit odd. I think it sometimes takes it into it's head to 'do stuff' on the quiet as sometimes it will be red hot and the battery depleted with it being just left in the car or on a table somewhere.

It has the Blackberry type keyboard which I like. No predictive text, as far as I know - don't want it.

I only use it for texting as I despise having to speak to people on the phone, sooner write them a letter, don't care how long it takes to get there.
But Mobile Office (Microsoft :roll: ) won't allow me to create new documents - or at least I haven't worked out how in the 4+ years I have had it.
I dropped then ran over - a few times until I found it again - the headset and can't find a replacement but as Xac says, it can be linked to a computer to charge with a standard mini-USB connector - just like the majority of stuff we have here - mp3 players, cameras etc. Just as well as I left my charger in the garage of a place I was working a couple of months ago. Must go and retrieve it (one day).

I have a mate at work with a couple of iMacs, a pair of Macbooks and his wife has a Macbook pro and iPhone - her seventh in two years as they break continuously. She had three in three days a couple of weeks ago - each one (new) was broken in the box.
He often has moans about the Macs too.

I quite fancy a ZTE Blade if it wasn't tied to Orange. Not sure what I would do with it though.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

DickieG wrote: Crikey I've met someone who's happy with an HTC :shock:
Even happier now I've updated it to Windows 7.5, apparently called 'Mango'

Blows all your iPhones into the weeds...

Speaking of Apple stuff generally, form over function sums it up..

Happily, I only have an elderly iPod to my name and that was my first and last association with Apple. I detest it's restrictiveness with regard to content and what you can/can't do with it. I've long since rebuilt the PC iTunes was on and now I dare not plug my iPod into another as it'll wipe off all the music I foolishly bought from iRipoff in my innocence..

In conclusion Apple = iShite....
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
DickieG
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

I'm totally lost about 'all these things that MacPhones can't apparently do' by it appears those who've never owned one :wink:

Over two years down the line I've not come across one thing I wanted to do with it that it cannot do, make call's, text's, emails, internet, music, video's, navigation, the list is endless with an ever longer range of accessories available specifically for it.

Using it is a pleasure as the touch screen works a treat and is so tactile, any other touch screen phone I've tried to use has driven me to want to throw them at the nearest hard object I can find as they just don't respond as well as an MacPhone. As for championing Windows I'll leave that to others as by comparison my experience of using this Apple product has made me want to convert over to a Mac.

As for them being fragile, well mine has been dropped several times yet for some reason the back hasn't fallen off :? the screen is unmarked, it hasn't frozen and still has a good battery life.

The best thing about owning a MacPhone is that you're not left feeling you've missed out by making the mistake of buying an inferior product to the extent that you have to corrupt the spolling on a forum :lol:

It appears that MacPhones are like Guinness, "I've never tried it because I don't like it" :lol:
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

If you had a decent phone it'd actually correct your "spolling" :)

DIY sphere tool
DickieG
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Xac wrote:If you had a decent phone it'd actually correct your "spolling" :)
That's the troublw eith usings windaas on my dosktip
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

DickieG wrote:
Xac wrote:If you had a decent phone it'd actually correct your "spolling" :)
That's the troublw eith usings windaas on my dosktip
:rofl:

Can your iphone tell you when your car was built, or let you type faster by swiping your finger rather than tapping?
Can you type a 5 without having to put the keyboard into number mode?

DIY sphere tool
DickieG
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Xac wrote:Can your iPhail tell you when your car was built,
Yes my MacPhone can do that.
Xac wrote:or let you type faster by swiping your finger rather than tapping?
I saw that on a friends new dog killer Galaxy 2 the other day, she gave up using it as it kept muspilliung.
Xac wrote:Can you type a 5 without having to put the keyboard into number mode?
No, but is that enough to make me buy an HTC fail, hmm let me think,,,
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Can you use it as a torch?
Can it view flash content on websites?