%&$@# apple products - sorry for the outage

Forum News, Announcements and any issues you're having with the forum

Moderator: myglaren

red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

I feel that apple aren't very flexible in how they think their products are going to be used. Fair enough if you use it in the way they intended, which most people do, usually there isn't a problem. It's when you go into multiple computer territory and making things different for the sake of it that problems start.

Poor product quality is something we've had issues with at work, the last few years things have certainly gone downhill. I wouldn't have a problem if they weren't marketed at a premium price.

To finish off, Steve Jobs. I respect the guy, he has certainly done his bit and created a brilliant marketing empire. Reinventing traditionally nerdy things into packages that the masses can enjoy. I would certainly not put him beside Edison and Einstein like some have.
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

Just to balance my argument above a bit better, I'm writing this using an iPad, so it's not all bad :lol:
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

red_dwarfers wrote:Just to balance my argument above a bit better, I'm writing this using an iPad, so it's not all bad :lol:
I thought you had good taste Kev :lol:
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
car.crash

Post by car.crash »

Xac can no longer comment on this due to his HTC battery going flat. fail :p
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

car.crash wrote: the new iphone has built in hd camera with 1080p. so no ned to carry a spare camera.
Doesn't have zoom, or flash sync, or an underwater housing that allows me to use the camera functions at 40m deep.
Also as I've said before, you can't quickly transfer large amounts of files to another person's PC
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

Not by choice I'm afraid, I couldn't justify the price. This is a work one, we're getting ourselves clued up on them!
I should be claiming for overtime here :lol:
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

car.crash wrote:Xac can no longer comment on this due to his HTC battery going flat. fail :p
I was having dinner with Danielle.
Another advantage I have is that should I be away from a charger for several days, I can carry a spare battery, or replace the stock one with a higher capacity one, heck my old HD2 (which could run multiple operating systems depending what you needed from it) even had one with a built in kick stand.
Of course another advantage is I just need a USB port and a micro usb lead in order to charge or transfer files.
No need for specific cables.

DIY sphere tool
DickieG
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Xac wrote:Doesn't have zoom, or flash sync, or an underwater housing that allows me to use the camera functions at 40m deep.
Go on admit it you are James Bond :lol:

Of all the features I'm ever likely to look for in a phone, being able to use it for taking photo's whilst 40m deep isn't one of them.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

red_dwarfers wrote:Not by choice I'm afraid, I couldn't justify the price. This is a work one, we're getting ourselves clued up on them!
I should be claiming for overtime here :lol:
I'd like to have a go with one of the lenovo tablets, especially as our old HP tablets are about 3 or 4 years old now, and we need a pen for signatures.

DIY sphere tool
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

DickieG wrote: Of all the features I'm ever likely to look for in a phone, being able to use it for taking photo's whilst 40m deep isn't one of them.
Exactly my point Richard.
Much better to use a proper camera, and then when showing others the photos use your phone's bigger screen (well, my phone's bigger screen, your one is about the same size as my camera's ickle screen) so others can see what you've taken.

DIY sphere tool
car.crash

Post by car.crash »

so is a usb port and a micro lead not a specific lead. i mean if you could transfer files through a dirty sock then thats pretty badass but you cant, you need a lead, a specific lead just like the iphone does, albeit a differant connector on the end but specific none the less.
DickieG
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Come on Xac what is this wondrous piece of equipment you have that does everything including make tea, has a massive screen with the memory of an elephant yet is small enough to carry on a train. Does it come with its own trolley and an engine to help it get up escalators?
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

car.crash wrote:so is a usb port and a micro lead not a specific lead. i mean if you could transfer files through a dirty sock then thats pretty badass but you cant, you need a lead, a specific lead just like the iphone does, albeit a differant connector on the end but specific none the less.
Mini usb leads are more common than apple leads, for instance in order to reduce costs to themselves and to the environment through waste, the majority of phone manufacturers have agreed on it being the standard. So for instance today I was using my phone as a wifi hotspot, I was in an office of blackberry users so of course could use one of their chargers had I needed to, though with the decent battery life the sensation has it wasn't needed.
DickieG wrote:Come on Xac what is this wondrous piece of equipment you have that does everything including make tea, has a massive screen with the memory of an elephant yet is small enough to carry on a train. Does it come with its own trolley and an engine to help it get up escalators?
I've had several devices that have done things I've needed that the iphone can't provide, in the past few years it's been the blackstone, the leo (both running windows mobile, although as I've said the leo could run ubuntu, android, Win95/98, MeeGo and I think WebOS, there's probably a few others it can run too) and now the sensation. Doesn't make the tea though, maybe they'll add that feature in the update after ICS. Of course, it won't insist on using lipton tea with oat milk.

Apologies for the delay in replying by the way, I've just managed to factory reset my old ipod for Danielle's dad, and of course it needs an apple (or clone) wall charger to complete the process. So I've been turning the house upside down looking for one. No joy so will have to buy one tomorrow.
Funny that, I can factory reset my last 3 phones without needing a power supply or computer.

DIY sphere tool
car.crash

Post by car.crash »

everyone in the world apart from you has a iphone so finding a charger is easy. its all getting a bit boring now.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

car.crash wrote:everyone in the world apart from you has a iphone so finding a charger is easy. its all getting a bit boring now.
:rofl:

At the end of June this year, Android had a 43% market share globally, beating even Symbian. Apple is in 3rd place with only 18%

If an iphone suits your needs, great, glad you're happy, but for many of us it's just not up to the task.

DIY sphere tool