Xsara VTS 2.0 16v probs

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

darrenp
My Cars:

Xsara VTS 2.0 16v probs

Post by darrenp »

Hi all
After reading past posts concerning the 1.8 and 2.0 16v engine problems of hesitation and stalling I have come to the conclusion that I am having the same trouble.
My VTS only plays up when hot and will for a brief period before the fault feel very responsive and fast then will start hesitating badly and sometimes stalling when at idle, if I drive carefully it isnt so bad but if you give it any stick it will hesitate and almost throw you through the screen its so bad.
As I say it is only when very hot ie oil and water temp is up to running temp, what could be wrong? have any of the Xantia boys solved this one as ive heard the engine is similar.
What sensors could be causing this and where abouts are they located as there is no Haynes manual for this engine as far as I am aware, ive heard rumours that the stepper motor could be dirty but where abouts is it located on my engine so that i can clean it.
I used to know by old BX 16V like the back of my hand but this engine althogh similar has far more sensors and gadgets all over the place and im lost without a guide book.
Pleas help me
Many thanks
Darren
darrenp
My Cars:

Post by darrenp »

Hi all it me again
I think I have traced the problem back to a sensor on the throttle housing, but can anyone tell me what this sensor is and am I gona have to lose a limb to replace it.
The sensor i question is located on the throttle housing next to the part the throttle cable is attached to, its small and black is made by Bosch and is connected to a grey three pin connector and is held on by a 10mm bolt.
When removed it fits into the throttle houseing after the butterfly just before the plenum and fits into a hole with an o ring seal, can any tell me what it is and what is likely to cost.
Many thanks
Darren
marco1
My Cars:

Post by marco1 »

hi ive just looked in haynes rag,and my 2.0 16v xant hummm theres 3 sencors black grey brown.ive also aa yellow one, god knows. one is potentioner,air temp,idle steper..1.8, had a heating element in the throttle body.sorry ive not been much use hope you sort it out soon.
darrenp
My Cars:

Post by darrenp »

Hi Marco
You may have helped me a lot thanks as the sensor is small and its not the potentiometer I think it may be an air temp sensoer then as its small and on the top, the problem seems to mainly be when the engine is hot so a temp sensor it maybe.
I dont know if the fault is in the sensor or the plug as when i move the plug about when the engine is hot and running it causes the symptoms described, i have a tyrap on it at the moment which seems to have stopped it for the time being. The problem could be the plug or the sensor itself but if its a cheap part i will change it anyway then try to get a plug/wires from a breakers and rejoin to eliminate the plug.
Is the 2.0 16v in the xantia exactly the same as my engine? ifso i will buy the xantia book so that i may figure out the engine as its not covered in the xsara book.
Many thanks mate im a step closer to fixing it for good
Darren
marco1
My Cars:

Post by marco1 »

sorry dont know if its the same engine but i would have thought it is very similer could ask a citroen mechanic..
darrenp
My Cars:

Post by darrenp »

Hi
Just a note the sensor that is giving me trouble is the MAP sensor but is different to the ones i had seen before as it is bolted directly to the plenum. It is a Bosch part but Citroen want abot £80 trade anyone know of a bosch supplier that may beable to do better as the bloody thing is smaller than a matchbox.
Cheers
Darren
grigoris
My Cars:

Post by grigoris »

I am the owner of a Xsara 1.6lt Exclusive 97. After 15000 km, I experienced an idling problem, when the engine revs
started to oscillate really badly between 500 and 1200 rpm and the engine started to cut off mainly when warming up in heavy traffic.
In the local official Citroen garage they located the problem (after some visits actually) in a low pressure (vacuum) sensor located
in the left side of the engine compartment, fitted
directly to the left hand suspension tower. It was a BOSCH brand in my car, which when inspected, showed to be spoiled by engine lubrication oil. This sensor controlls idle speed and is connected electrically to the ECU and by a thin tube to the injection main body behind the engine block,. There is a tube leading some oil vapors from the rocker breather pipe to the injection system to lubricate the injection valves. It seemed to be some oil leak through this thin tube to this sensor, while it shouldn't. When the sensor was disconnected, idling went crazy.
A new vacuum sensor was installed under warranty. The oscillation
and cut-off problems disappeared. Furthermore a plastic oil trap of was inserted to the tube before the sensor to prevent further spoiling.
After 3 years and 85000 km I almost had no further problems. The oil trap collects oil and it is cleaned during regular inspections (every 7500 km).
I hope this may help
Regards
Grigoris
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

the sensor is the MAP sensor,you can sometimes get away with just replacing the plug,its a modified plug available from citroen. (its actually a speedo sensor plug but it fits ok) after that if problem persists a sensor will be required as the plastic wears away.i may have the part number of the plug somwhere if you need it.
spanners

Post by spanners »

IF YOU GIVE THE BOSCH NO TO AN ANDYSPARES REP THEY SHOULD BE ABLE TO ORDER ONE.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

the citroen part number is 6542VN . the kit comes with plug,terminals & some heatshrink
darrenp
My Cars:

Post by darrenp »

Hi All
Thanks for all your help, I have replaced the plug onto the sensor and the problem did go away for about a week and I thought I had cracked it then it all came back again.
I have just travelled to alton towers and back in a very unwell Xsara missing and hesitating most of the way once the car was warm (scary on the M1 about 180 miles each way), so now have invested in a new sensor and problem has not appeared again (YET!!!) I hope this has fixed it as the part was £75 trade from my local cit dealer.
For your information the part was a BOSCH and was listed as a pressure sensor which leads me to the conclusion it is the MAP sensor but is different than any MAP i have seen before as it is bolted directly into the plenum just after the throttle plate and is not connected by a pipe as the usually are but instead fits into a hole on the plenum which is where i gets its reading i guess, the part number is 0261230012 and is very expensive for such a small part but I hope is now fixed.
Thanks for all your help and if anybody has any info on this engine please point me in the right direction as even Citroen dont do a manual that covers it, would be nice to know what all the sensors and things do.
Thanks Darrenp.....