Catalytic converter

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jemboyd
My Cars:

Catalytic converter

Post by jemboyd »

Can someone tell me where the catalytic converter is located in a Xantia 2.0i? I plan to remove mine so that I can use leaded fuel which is cheaper in my country.
shaunthesheep
My Cars:

Post by shaunthesheep »

jemboyd,
i think you will find that it's attached to the front part of the exhaust system in between the exhaust outlet pipes (downpipes), and the middle section of the exhaust. it should have a heatsheild round it.
dom
darrenp
My Cars:

Post by darrenp »

Hi
is it possible to remove the cat so that you can use leaded fuel, I didnt think you could because of the lamda sensor.
The catalyst should be the first box in the system just after the downpipe/manifold.
Darren
lozian
My Cars:

Post by lozian »

Hi jemboyd,
I reckon you will encounter severe problems if you remove the cat. The ECU will then have strange feedback from the lamda sensor which will upset the ECU's decision about fuel mixture, timing etc. This is only a personal opinion, but certainly anything upsetting air flow in and out is going to contribute to a problem. See recent posting re - noisy exhaust from Andrew 1967.
Edited by - lozian on 07 Sep 2002 08:50:26
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

"Leaded fuel is cheaper"???? Usually works the other way round.
I would be very careful regardless; the mere fact that it is cheaper tells me it will also be of lesser quality or octane and you could end up being on the receiving end of some false economy. The Lambda will probably work due to its location but it will get coated with lead & garbage and then if the car performs as I suspect it will (increased fuel consumption for one thing) and you then try to refit the cat, you'll probably end up having to replace the Lambda plus possibly the cat. Stick with leaving it as it was manufactured; it will be cheaper by far in the long term.
Alan S
jemboyd
My Cars:

Post by jemboyd »

Thanks everyone for their advice - I think I'm going to leave it in - don't want trouble!!