Forum running slow?

Forum News, Announcements and any issues you're having with the forum

Moderator: myglaren

falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

12:26pm forum is back to a slow crawl esppecially in loading pages or submitting replies to posts.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

I've been accessing it for the past 10 minutes from my work laptop (vodafone) and it's running fast for me.
Anyone else noticed issues?

Nigel have you had any more php errors?
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
Citroening
My Cars: Various Makes/Models Nowadays...

Post by Citroening »

Forum's been running perfectly fine on AOL and also on the Vodafone dongle.
Franklin
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Been fine all morning :D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

No php errors today as yet slow down has now stopped intermittant like yesterday that php error came up four times yesterday.

I am experiencing very slow connection speeds clicking links from my outlook express email when normally these topic reply links connect almost imeadiately.

regards Nigel.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

I wonder if VM's DNS servers are playing up so it's taking longer than usual to resolve the IP address, although it should be cached.
When did you last restart your cable modem Nigel?

DIY sphere tool
falling-out-with-my-car

it is started every time I switch on the power supply it is always turned off
when not in used.

I have tried clicking start then run and typing ipconfig/ flushdns
doesnt really make a lot of differance.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

If you start a cmd session and type ipconfig /all
Is the IP address for your DNS server the same as your router's IP address?
If not, what is it?

If it is, go into your computer's network settings, and under IPv4's properties manually set DNS servers:

Click ok and then see how it goes.
That will exclude VM's dns servers from the equation.
If it makes no difference, just go back into properties and set it to automatically set DNS.
If it's not that, and as others are reporting the forum is running fine, it's something up with the connection between you and the server within VM's network

DIY sphere tool
falling-out-with-my-car

ipconfig/all just flashes up the dos screen for 2 seconds nothing on the screen at all.

I was typing ipconfig/ flushdns instead of ipconfig /flushdns and it wasdt working because I had the spacing wrong in the command dns has now flushed successfully and things seem to be improvving after the manual flush this seems to be an onging issue with the dns not flushing automatically even though themodem is restarted at every session.

the ip addressses are the same by the way couldnt check it from the command line had to go through internet explorer instead.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

start > run
Type in:
cmd
hit return
A command prompt window will open.
Type:
ipconfig /all

I'm having one of those weeks, if you're resolving the ip address of the server then even if VM's DNS servers were being strange it wouldn't make a difference as you've got the address cached.

now, about the /flushdns command.
When you try to access something on the internet via a URL (web address) your computer checks its local hosts file, if the address isn't in there, it looks for it's DNS server settings and sends a request to the first one listed which is likely to be your cable modem (there are normally 2 listed, and I'll get to that in a bit as it's often misunderstood) asking for the IP address for the domain in the URL.
If the DNS server knows it (not likely as it's just a cable modem), it will send the IP address to your PC, so it can then contact the website.
If the DNS server doesn't know, it forwards the request on until it gets a response of the IP address or notification that it can't be found.
Once the IP address has been found, the PC caches the result for 24 hours, so next time you browse to the URL, it already knows the address and doesn't need to pester the DNS servers.
/flushdns clears the cache.
It can cause problems if during that 24 hours the IP address of the server changes, which can happen if there's a network outage.
If during this time you try the address, you may get a negative response, which the PC stores for 5 minutes. It then won't let you connect again until the 5 minutes are up. This can happen if a server/network is extremely busy too.
To resolve this the ipconfig /flushdns command is used.
To see what's in the cache use ipconfig /displaydns.
Best to run the command from a cmd prompt.

Now I mentioned that normally there are 2 DNS server details entered.
Many people (even IT professionals) believe that what happens is the first one is queried and if it comes back with "Dunno mate" then the second one is queried.
The second one is actually just there as a backup, for when the first one can't be contacted at all.

You said you checked in your browser what your DNS settings were, exactly where did you get the info?

DIY sphere tool
falling-out-with-my-car

I clicked Network connections ,Status, advanced tab, suport & details which gives me a list of the network addresses.
this gives me:
phisical address
Ip adress
subnet mask
default gateway
DHCP server
Lease obtained date
Lease expirey date
DNS server
WINS server
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

Have to say that I've noticed the forum frequently stalls over the last few weeks. Sometimes it's fine then for no apparent reason it just won't select a new thread, or refresh etc. Leave it for a few mins and it's fine again.
Had quite a few of those events this afternoon.
Last edited by HDI on 21 Jan 2011, 17:02, edited 1 time in total.
Now using '00 Xantia LX HDI, pov spec :(
My past Citroens :-
'00 Xantia SX HDI, now dead due to accident :(
'99 Xantia HDI 110 Exclusive, RIP :(
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
'79 CX2400 Pallas (scrapped :( )
& a couple of Peugeots !
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Same here.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

I might give the server a bounce tonight then, it hasn't been done in a while.

DIY sphere tool
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX