Sinking noise

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

H
My Cars:

Sinking noise

Post by H »

Can anyone please help? I changed the front spheres on my Xantia a couple of weeks ago ( by using 36" stilsons and after breaking both a chain wrench and a strap wrench ). Ever since it has made a groaning noise when the front settles after stopping. This is embarrasing as everyone looks when you pull up anywhere.
Gordon
hardmanm

Post by hardmanm »

The groaning is I think the height corrector mechanism which is in need of lubrication, don't know why it has started now except that maybe with softer spheres it is sinking a lot more than it did.
WD40 then oil the height corrector mechanism pivots, while you're at it do the back as well. Make sure it is securely jacked before venturing underneath though.
Mark
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

If its that heavy creaking noise you are on about, this occurs on many a Xantia including mine, but only when the suspension is being moved from high to low.
I think the cause is the anti-roll bar or the lower suspension arm's turning in their rubber mounting's.
When the sphere's are low in gas the suspension doesn't move much, so the roll bar and arm's only move by a corresponding amount, the change to good sphere's lets it moves as it should and unfortunately can give rise to this condition.
You could try lubricating the rubber bushings with a silicon based oil or anything that wont degrade the rubber.
Dave
spanners

Post by spanners »

THE GROAN YOU ARE HEARING COULD BE WEAR IN THE SUSPENSION LEGS WHEN THEY PASS A PART OF THE RAM THAT IS STIFF OR IT COULD BE THE ANTI SINK VALVE UNDER RESERVOIR RELIEVING PRESSURE.