xantia height help

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ukmobileman
My Cars:

xantia height help

Post by ukmobileman »

help needed my xantia td 1993 L reg
its had a new rear h/corrector
new lhm and hydraflushed and new lhm filters (yes new not cleaned)
also a new accumulator sphere
the back still 3 times out of 4 goes all the way up 'rock hard'
the front is at correct 'normal' ride height
when it rides correctly it is smooth as silk
the lever inside car is a bit (but not much) stiffer to move than my old bx (perhaps needs to be cleaned and lubed)
is it something as simple as setting up ride height on rear ( i just left clamp where it was snapped on the link rod)
or could it be the linkages front to back that connect to lever inside of car sticking
or is the h/p pump faulty?
it does the normal(?!!) dip at back when brake pedal pressed, goes up when released. the front also creeps up in stages like they do when struts need doing
i just want to sort height before i sort struts unless this is connected.i can drive it with the front struts but not with the back up!! it shakes your teeth out (i actually dont drive it like that before anyone comments - i settle it with the cit up and down dance!!)
anyone know the cure to its hotrod act???? PLEASE!!
G J Wright
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

The problem is usually a siezed or partially siezed pivot amongst the linkages near the corrector.
Dave
ukmobileman
My Cars:

Post by ukmobileman »

i did quickly wire brush and lube (wd40 and saltwater spray gease) the pivot near h/corrector when i fitted h/corrector but to be honest i didnt strip it down or anything as i thought it was h/corrector at fault .
is there more than one pivot in linkage rods as the inside lever feels a lot stiffer than old bx. i guess i will have to get under a trace rod linkage and clean and lubricate them properly.( i use axel stands/ramps)
G J Wright
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

I haven't been near mine for a while but I think there is only one pivot from what I can remember, heaps of rusty crap comes out when you start banging the wd40 in and working the pivot loose.
I'm not sure if it can be stripped down, seem to remember it being a riveted affair.
Dave
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

The other possibility is that the pathetic bit of bent wire that transfers height information to the height corrector is either loosly fitted to the anti-roll bar, or has losts its temper (NO I DON'T MEAN IT'S ANGRY!)
//NiSk
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Been a car maintenance day today, changed the oil and filters and finally cured the airbag fault, cut connectors out and soldered wires together under the front seat's.
Also went under and adjusted the rear ride height, there are infact two pivots to the mechanism, one which was well worn and was partly the cause of the low height, the other was a bit on the stiff side but was still working ok.
A well worn plastic link contributed to the rest of the play in the linkage.
The pivot's can't be dismantled because they are riveted to the bracket.
Dave
jonnyboy
My Cars:

Post by jonnyboy »

Fitted a new rear height corrector recently & had same problem.
Spoke to a mate (Cit fitter) Advised to check rear ride height.
Simple guide, centre of hub should be between 13.5 & 14 inches from wheel arch in a vertical line, when in normal drive position.make sure all pivots & links are well lubed. According to andy spares, all new ride height correctors will need height resetting on fitting
Jon