ZX driveshaft noises

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

muhsin
My Cars: 2001 Peugeot 406 2.0 HDI Estate (110bhp)

ZX driveshaft noises

Post by muhsin »

The first problem started with a heavy ticking noise whenever I accelerated whilst turning right. I assume this is the L/H universal joint on the drive shaft. The shaft also emits an unhealthy clunk whenever the car is about to reverse, after letting off the footbrake, particularly when starting to reverse down a slope. The second problem started after 70 miles into a long journey, when a low-pitched, monotone squeal suddenly began whenever I eased off the accelerator slightly, also during gear changes or freewheeling with the clutch depressed. However, it is quiet when accelerating, decelerating or braking. My local garage told me they didn't know the cause, and suggested changing one or both driveshafts first, and seeing if that cured the squeal. Any advice, please? Also, do you know where I can get cheap recon. or secondhand driveshafts? When I've sorted out the ZX I can get around to my BX19Gti, which I've been trying to sell since I bought the newer and more ecomomical ZX, and have now decided to keep INSTEAD of the ZX. I have owned some great Citroens in the past, but these two have got it in for me.
Muhsin
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

Hi Muhsin - The "unhealthy clunk" you hear when you start to reverse could be nothing more that looseness in the brake calipers. Since most of your driving is done forwards, the brake pads sit at the bottom of the caliper. As you go into reverse, the pads are dragged upwards, hence the clunk. The squeal might be the intermediate bearing on the right-hand shaft. Re-con shafts are about £65 each.
muhsin
My Cars: 2001 Peugeot 406 2.0 HDI Estate (110bhp)

Post by muhsin »

Thanks for your reply, John. Do the calipers really make that much noise, though? It's a quite a heavy 'clunk'. I'm sure you are right about the intermediate bearing. It sounds dry. Can it be lubricated 'in situ', or should I just replace it? I'm new to this site, by the way. Can I get drive shafts for that price at any motor factors, Autoparts, for example? (I live in South Devon).
Muhsin
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

Hi Muhsin - It is a fairly loud clunk if it is the pads making the noise. My Xantia doesn't do it yet, but my previous BX did. When my daughter's intermediate bearing on the driveshaft squeaked I stopped it (for a while) by using a spray can of chain grease. It's thin enough to spray, but then it solidifies. Incidentally, you'll have a hell of a job to replace the intermediate bearing on your driveshaft. You need a very long puller to get it off. Most motor factors should be able to do driveshafts for £60/70. Compare very carefully the new alongside the old.
ukmobileman
My Cars:

Post by ukmobileman »

i managed to do the intermediate bearing on my xantia td without a bearing puller
get new bearing (mine also came with a modified spacer/washer and check it is same
mount driveshaft in vice an hit outer shell of bearing with a lump hammer and remove case and ball bearings
with the inner race left on shaft take (gently) a grinder and cut a slot in it along (same axis) as driveshaft BUT NOT ALL WAY THROUGH
to driveshaft. then take a chisel and thump inner race hard in slot, you have cut, this should crack inner race (normally 1st go)you than can tap the race off with very little effort
clean up shaft (if marked) with a file
use a suitable tube to drive on new bearing /spacer-washer (if fitted)that fits inner race perfectly or at own risk you can use a suitable pin punch (on the inner part of bearing) to tap bearing down strike bearing equally either side and watch it goes on square but if pin punch slips you can knacker bearing!!
ALWAYS WEAR SAFETY SPECS / GLOVES etc
G J Wright
Edited by - ukmobileman on 21 Aug 2002 20:08:40
humpy

Post by humpy »

A clunk on reversing sounds like the back front wishbone buch may be worn, if your car has done a few miles
spanners

Post by spanners »

THE NOISE YOU ARE GETTING ON REVERSE WAS A COMMON FAULT ON THE BX BECAUSE THE BENDIX STYLE PADS WOULD GRAB ON DISC IF YOU HAVE BENDIX STYLE PADS AND IT ONLY HAPPENS ONCE DONT WORRY. WITH REGARDS TO THE WHINE NOISE YOU GET I HAVE HAD THE SAME WITH A ZX DIESEL AFTER A DRIVESHAFT WAS FITTEDRECTIFIED FAULT BY GREASING AREA AROUND CV JOINT AND WHEEL BEARING FLANGE AND TIGHTENED HUB NUT AS MUCH AS I COULD TRY TIGHTENING FIRST YOU MAY NOTICE THE NUT GO UP A BIT