Cambelt

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Cambelt

Post by JohnD »

I need to change the cambelt on my 2.1 TD Xantia. Haynes say the starter motor needs to come off to lock the flywheel. Does anyone know differently?
Dave Bamber
My Cars:

Post by Dave Bamber »

Hi John.
Can you not lock the fly-wheel with a bar through a hole in the clutch housing? On a BX you can see the fly-wheel teeth, is your Xantia the same? Might be easier than taking off the starter.....Or do'es someone know differant?
Jimmydeath
My Cars:

Post by Jimmydeath »

If the engine is similar to the ZX TD engine then you can lock the flywheel with a metal dowel, I cut the head off a bolt for this, through a hole in the block behind the starter motor. I have achieved this without removing the starter motor however I would say that it is far easier to undo the three bolts and remove the starter first.
The bolt used is the same size as those that lock the camshaft and fuel injector pulleys, 8mm if I remember correctly.
David W
My Cars:

Post by David W »

John,
You don't have to lock the crank, it is just the best way to ensure the position is accurate and maintained throughout the belt replacement. It is sufficient to mark the position in a way that is easy to see and double check the crank hasn't moved before setting up the new belt. I never rely on the locking pins/makers marks but add my own in white paint to be absolutely sure.
David
Jimmydeath
My Cars:

Post by Jimmydeath »

Just one point I feel I should add to this is that if you dont use the locking pins method and rely solely on making your own marks you need to be 100% sure that the settings were correct in the first place and havent changed due to belt stretch or even a cog slippage.
regards
James
David W
My Cars:

Post by David W »

James,
Sound advice. I hesitated to describe the method without locking pins as it does need absolute confidence/experience bearing in mind the potential result of any error. I am mostly the first person to change the belt on vehicles I maintain so am quite happy that the settings were correct from new. Thanks for the thoughtful correction to my post.
David