Pollen Filter!!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Rich
My Cars:

Pollen Filter!!

Post by Rich »

Hi everyone!!
I recently decided to check the pollen (cabin) filter on my Xantia Exclusive, as it is the first car i have owned with one fitted i thought i would check the Haynes manual first, just to make sure!! The manual i have is for the earlier Xantia models and it says there are three screws retaining the pollen filter, my Xantia is a new shape one and i can't find any screws or any other obvious fasteners!! Does anyone know the secret? I thought i may ask because i don't want to force anything and damage it!! That reminds me, my air conditioning has just recently started making the most offensive smell, kind of like rotten eggs!! It only occurs intermittently, but i can't figure it out because the air con is used very often and the evaporator drain pipe is clear. Has anyone else had the same problem? I'm thinking maybe it is caused by bacteria/mould growing on the wet fins of the evaporator; this hot weather will help this when the car is parked!!
Remember!! KEEP IT CITROEN!!
Regards, Rich.
P.S. Xantia is due service soon, deciding if i want to have a go myself! Is there a workshop manual available for the new shape Xantia?
allmond
My Cars:

Post by allmond »

Hi Rich
Don't pull it!! I did and broke it. Haynes leave a bit to be desired sometimes.
The bottom cover slides sudeways to come off. I can't remember which way, but it slides then pulls down.
On the subject of Exclusives. The arm rest on the driver's seat - mine just sort of flops down and points towards the handbrake. Is yours the same?
Jamie
hardmanm

Post by hardmanm »

The 3 screws referred to are the ones holding the trim in place, you need to remove the felt trim panel under the glove box above the passengers feet to gain access to the pollen filter.
Having removed the trim the pollen filter is removed by sliding the holder and pulling the filter downwards. Easy when you've done it once! The haynes manual for once has a reasonable picture.
Mark
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Bosch make a fancy pollen filter that not only filters solids but also pollutants like ozone and other nasty gasses, to the extent that it can be used in tunnels (so they say) with no reduction in air quality.
The bad news is I tried to get hold of one ages ago and was told they are not available for the Xantia, typical.
They do however make a standard type cabin filter that they claim is one hundred percent efficient at removing particles, such as soot and dust.
There are also pdf. files giving fitting instructions.
Go to product overview/filters/cabin.
http://www.boschautoparts.co.uk
Dave
Rich
My Cars:

Post by Rich »

Cheers everyone!!
Thanks for the information guys! It has all become clear now. I think i will have a go at that tomorrow and see if the element needs changing. I will let you know how what happens. Oh, and Jamie, your question about the arm rest on the drivers seat; mine is at the same angle as the backrest of the seat when it is up, and when i fold it down, it is exactly level. I tend to leave it up when i'm driving as it gets in the way of my long arms when changing gear!! (I'm 6'2") Does your Exclusive have a manual gearbox? Mine is HDi 110 with manual gearbox, keep thinking it would be even better with an automatic gearbox!! Does not really bother me though as i think it's a corker!!!
Thanks again guys, regards, Rich.
Rich
My Cars:

Post by Rich »

Hello everyone!
Just want to say thanks for the help everyone! I removed my pollen filter today, easy when you know how!! Your information was exactly right and i also noticed after removing the cover holding the element in place that it is marked with the word "REMOVE" and an arrow; i just could not see it down in the dark corners of the footwell!! Anyway, sure enough it is clogged up big time, so i think i'm off to the online shop to order a new one.
Take care, regards, Rich.
Rich
My Cars:

Post by Rich »

P.S. Pollen filter from Andyspares £9.50; according to service bill from previous owner, Citroen dealer charged him £22 for same part(!!)
allmond
My Cars:

Post by allmond »

Rich
My Exclusive is a 2 litre petrol with manual gearbox. Took me 6 months to find and couldn't be more pleased with it. 15 months old when I bought it, what a bargain!
I asked about the armrest because I have a friend with a C5. (Still can't get used to the looks, not sure I would want to look out of the window and see one on the drive!) Anyway, the one in the C5 has a sort of ratchet so you can put it all the way down, then lift it a little to the desired angle and it will stay there. I just wanted to be sure that the Xantia doesn't do that, rather than mine being broken, if you see what I mean.
Jamie
Rich
My Cars:

Post by Rich »

Hi Jamie,
Yeah, i know exactly what you mean mate, i found my Exclusive by chance really, i just went looking at some cars and when i saw it i kind of made up my mind there and then that it was going to be mine!! Like you, i could not be more pleased with it. It looks great and drives great, my dad could not believe it when he saw it! He has a Xantia 1.9 SX/TD. I kind of agree with you on the C5, i do like them but i would not change my Xantia for one, i prefer the Xantia's more classic Citroen shape.
Regards, Rich.
P.S. I will never go back to a "normal" car after owning a Citroen!!!
PeterC.

Post by PeterC. »

That reminds me, my air conditioning has just recently started making the most offensive smell, kind of like rotten eggs!! It only occurs intermittently, but i can't figure it out because the air con is used very often and the evaporator drain pipe is clear.
I‘ve had a similar problem like this before re. an AX. Are you sure the smell is coming from the air-con? On my AX it was stagnent water in the enourmous windscreen washer bottle (even started looking underneath for dead animals) - it smelt like rotten eggs. Flushing it through with hot water and detergant fixed it. Mind you, the smell was mostly noticable just after the washer had been used (not surprisingly).
Rich
My Cars:

Post by Rich »

Hi Peter,
Good point mate! I have exactly the same problem with my washer reservoir, it has only started just recently. The smell comes through into the car when i use the washers, it is really vile too!! I think i will do what you suggest, that should cure it. On the subject of air con; i think it is making a smell but not as bad as the washers, i have checked the drain pipe (which is clear) and the air con is used often. I did find a clogged pollen filter at the weekend which i am going to change (new one on way from Andyspares £9.50) so i will see if that makes a difference. With the old one out i looked at surface of evaporator but it just looked clean and wet. If it persists in making a smell i may take it to the place where i had the air con serviced; he says he can ultrasonically clean the surface of the evaporator to remove the bacteria/mould that causes bad smells.
I will keep you posted!
Regards, Rich.