Xantia 2.1TD arthritic rear suspension

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

hardmanm

Xantia 2.1TD arthritic rear suspension

Post by hardmanm »

I have a 1998 Xantia 2.1TD Hatchback, 44K miles, with one slight problem : When starting after standing overnight the back end takes a minute or two to rise to normal height. In the meantime it feels like it is sitting on the bumpstops. When starting the "STOP" light goes out after 10s or so, and the front gets up promptly too. After the couple of minutes all is fine, suspension nice and soft etc. Height corrector possibly? Any advice gratefully recieved!
jonnyboy
My Cars:

Post by jonnyboy »

Empty , clean & refill LHM tank, taking care to thoroughly clean both filters in petrol, letting them dry fully before re-assembly, this sjould restore your reaction time back to a near instant response.
Jon
jemboyd
My Cars:

Post by jemboyd »

You say to empty clean and refill LHM tank and clean filters - can you give some more detail on this proceedure - what is the LHM tank??
hardmanm

Post by hardmanm »

In this case the problem boiled down to the rear height corrector mechanism sticking - I freed it off with WD40 then oiled it - no more trouble at all in the last 7K miles.
Seems to be a common occurance - so next time your Xantia is jacked up I'd recommend lubricating those height correctors.
The moral is always check for trivial faults before assuming the worst!
Mark
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

Hi Mark - I'm puzzled to read that your 1998 2.1TD "takes a minute or two to rise to normal height". My Xantia also is a 1998 2.1TD, but, unlike my previous BX, it doesn't sink at all, not even after a week of non-use. Can it be that one is an estate and the other a hatchback?
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

A '98 Xantia should definitely have the anti-sink valve and sphere fitted, so it shouldn't sink at all.
//NiSk
hardmanm

Post by hardmanm »

Hi John,
Well since I oiled the height corrector mechanism it doesn't sink at all overnight or have trouble getting up in the morning, so I presume it was all related to the sticking mechanism.
You're right that this model has the anti-sink sphere
Mark