zx t/d engine replacement

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ukmobileman
My Cars:

zx t/d engine replacement

Post by ukmobileman »

can anybody give me an idea what will fit other than a zx td lump i.e 405 306 bx td etc
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Any of the 1.9 td's will fit, but where the intercooler is in front of the rad i.e Xantia, the turbo/manifold will have to be swapped over as the turbo outlet is at a different angle to those with the intercooler above the engine.
Another thing to watch out for is the anti-theft device fitted to the fuel pump, if the ZX has a keypad imobiliser you need an engine with this anti-theft device fitted to the pump, or you will have to transfer the fuel pump aswell.
If the ZX does not have a keypad you can still use an engine with the anti-theft device, but you will have to remove it from the pump to get at the stop solenoid, this operation also require's the fuel pump to be removed from the engine.
As for the camshaft driven vacuum pump, this is a requirement on later Xantia's to operate the EGR valve and the cold start fast Idle lever on the pump.
Earlier Xantia engine's will have a blanking cap, simply remove it and install the vacuum pump.

The engine I put in my ZX came out of a Xantia, there was a bracket that also had to be swapped, I can't remember what it was, probably something to do with the alternator, simply take the required part's from the ZX and fit them to the fresh lump.
Dave
sooty
My Cars:

Post by sooty »

Hi
When I enquired at 'Ecosse' about Tunning Citreons 1.9td's, they said the Exhaust manifolds are diiferent to one-another (Citreons to Pugs), and they only do Pugs. What that is, I haven't a clue.
Thought that might be something to lookout for??
ukmobileman
My Cars:

Post by ukmobileman »

thanks guys, its my mates car, it has a complete engine in it (knackered) so pump/keypad no problem .
if anybody interested hainford hall in norfolk still had a 306 td engine for £420 inc vat on saturday.