Berlingo Multispace, air in diesel pipes. DW8 engi

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Dave Bamber
My Cars:

Berlingo Multispace, air in diesel pipes. DW8 engi

Post by Dave Bamber »

Driving up the M6 this morning and just as we came off at Ju 36, the engine made an awful noise like the crankshaft was seizing! Pulled over for a look and noticed loads of air bubbles in the fuel pipe from the filter to the pump. Phoned Green Flag, 30 minutes later we're on the back of a Ford Cargo. Back at their garage the head honcho has a look but the noise has stopped and the air had gone! We then drove back to my local Citroen dealers who also had a look and found nothing and advised me to bring it back if the problem came back. So it's "suck it and see" at the moment. Anybody else had a problem like that on any other vehicle?
Jon

Post by Jon »

Oh Dear, not very encouraging is it? Have not had this problem on our DW8 Berlingo as yet, despite the fact that it has been driven around with the fuel light on quite a bit. I think that if you remove the engine plastic cover, theres a hand diesel primer under there. I am also amazed that the fuel filter element just clips in with platic toggles, and is not securely screwed down, so maybe there is potential for it to draw air in later life.
My latest Berlingo fault is also weird. When sitting in trafic jam on Saturday, this relay in the dashboard just kept clicking, sounds like flasher unit, but is not. Could not see or find anything wrong.
Please keep me updated with latest faults!
Jon
B_Draper
My Cars:

Post by B_Draper »

Although I don't own a Berlingo, I occasionally hear a rapid clicking sound coming from a relay. When I activate the emrgency hazard lights the sound evens out in time with the hazard lights but it can still be heard! The rapid clicking resumes when the hazard lights are switched off. However this fault only happens once in a blue moon and disappears after a while. Nothing obvious seems to go wrong so I see no point in worrying about it!
Dave Bamber
My Cars:

Post by Dave Bamber »

[Hi Jon. I suspected the filter cover too, and maybe the pipe to the fuel pump. I've done a few hundred miles since the fault, with no more problems. The clicking relay is to do with the battery light on the dash, which must be very sensitive. Mine does it in traffic as well, when no other power is being drawn. If the heater fan is switched to No1, the relay will stop. Mind you, from what you've mentioned in the past, just turn on your wipers and the racket they make will drown out the clicking!!
Dave.
Jon

Post by Jon »

Thanks for putting my mind at rest about the clicking relay Dave.
No a lot else to report. Bought some genuine Cit side window deflectors, pricey but good fit. Have the benfit of pushing rain off side mirrors on motorway! Also fitted Cit blade type frt mudflaps. Not a good fit, and they rely on plastic fixing that keeps inner wing shield in place as one of the securing points. This fixing is too short to take the mudflap as well as the inner wing. I think that I could use a longer plastic fix off an BX or ZX to make them more secure.
Did you see Channel 4's "Driven" programme last week? They featured Berlingo Multispace 19D, and reckoned the handling was unsafe, drove the thing through a slalom on a soaking wet road, whilst braking,it ploughed straight on after it looked like it would overturn! I think they overstated all of this, I personally find the handling quite good, although I do not jamb my brakes on whilst cornering on wet roads without ABS!!
Dave Bamber
My Cars:

Post by Dave Bamber »

Hi Jon. I was wondering how the front mud flaps were fitted as there isn't alot of wing to fix them to. Agree with the BX fitting, I shall investigate this further and let you know. I've fitted rear one's but I drilled the bumper to fit them, much to Mr's B's disgust! (lots of loud complaining noises, like "you will spoil a new car etc!) and they only cost £1.99 form Halfords! Other bits fitted so far are, CD player under the dash flap, relay for a socket in the boot for a fridge for the camping job, carpet in the boot and voltage gauge in the coin pocket on the dash. Bits to get, Tow-bar and a dog-guard in the boot (not the Citroen one, too expensive)
I did see Driven, VERY harsh test I thought, if I remember correctly they did a 180 on the same test in a full size MPV last year. Which was Nice....
Still OK on the air in fuel problem. Fingers crossed.