Temperature gauge xantia

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

p.rourke
My Cars:

Temperature gauge xantia

Post by p.rourke »

HI can anyone help? Temperature gauge reads just under 60 as soon as the ignition is switched on, reaching around 100 plus after around ten minutes driving. Any suggestions?
Thanks
Pete
reffro
My Cars:

Post by reffro »

Stuck thermostat or other blockage in the cooling system, but definitely look at the thermostat first, it might not be opening fully. After that check the water pump flow rate, and that you have a good mixture of coolant and water. It would do no harm to flush out the whole system to clear it of any gunk that may have built up in the engine or radiator.
ukmobileman
My Cars:

Post by ukmobileman »

first of all is car acutally overheating?
can you here it boiling up? Is the fan(s) cutting in or always on?
does the guage read that from stone cold (i.e overnight)
if it reads hot even when engine is cold, it could be a faulty sender unit (though these normally only fail/read incorrect if you have BOILED up the engine!)
also on some cars (some fords /volvos ) they have a voltage regulator on back of instrument cluster when these fail all the guages go haywire!
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Sender unit buggered on stat housing, or chafed wire going to earth.
I'd go for the sender though.
Dave
p.rourke
My Cars:

Post by p.rourke »

HI thanks for all the feedback.
From what you say it sounds like it could be the sender unit. The engine boiled over during the emission test when I took the car in for an MOT test around two weeks ago. I took the car to another garage (they charged me the best part of £200 to drain the system and come up with the diagnoses that it could be a faulty fuel gauge)
The gauge reads high (around the 50-60 mark) from cold I have also noticed that the cars interior heater fan has stopped working.
Any idea how much I should be paying to get the jobs done?
Ps Anyone know a good garage in north London?
Thanks
pete
reffro
My Cars:

Post by reffro »

Just outside London is Citronics, in Harpenden. Certainly did the work on my car quickly and at lower cost. Check the web www.citronics.co.uk