Catalytic Convertor.............?( Xantia 2.0i16v)

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Tariq
My Cars:

Catalytic Convertor.............?( Xantia 2.0i16v)

Post by Tariq »

I got a 98'(MK1) Xantia 2.0i 16v as of yesterday its starting to making rattley sounds from the middle of the Exhaust.
It feels that the Catalytic Convertor its rattling when iam at low speeds and at a stand still. The noise goes after i have moved off into 2/3rd gear.
If this a catalytic convertor breaking up....can i still carry on driving without harming the car as the MOT is not due till January 2003....?
Also does anyone know where in West London or the Thames Valley where i can have the Cat changed at a reasonable cost....?
Many Thanks & Kind Regards
T.
adrianeaton
My Cars:

Post by adrianeaton »

Hi Tariq
If the problem is indeed exhaust related then you won't do any damage to the engine UNLESS it gets to the point where a piece of exhaust baffle blocks off part of the pipe, as this will increase back pressure noticably and will result in poor acceleration.
Are you sure it's the cat? On my BX (with cat) it was coming from the box mounted across the car, under the back seat. When I replaced it there was nothing left in it apart from a roll of metal that was half blocking the output side of the box!!
Only way to be sure if the cat is dead is to take it to a garage with an emissions tester and get them to check it. In theory you could fail a roadside check for emissions, but they would give you a reasonable time to repair. If you do nothing and it then fails the MOT then you know it'll need replacing - but best to make sure it is that and not another box breaking up.
Cats have come down in price, so you should be able to pick one up new for less than £200. Second hand is risky since the chances of a scrapyard car not having had the cat bashed whilst being forklifted about are pretty slim.
Adrian
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Just out of curiosity, have Andyspares or any of the exhaust replacement shops ever investigated the possibility of a Universal type cat as a replacement for the genuine thing?
The reason I ask is that a similar question was asked on a board in Australia where a guy who works for a Government Environment Dept (also a Frernch car owner) is also a member and he responded by advising to fit such a thing as it was about $200. As our Pacific Pesos are only worth about 75 UK pounds there seems to be a big discrepancy in particular when you take into account that our parts prices are usually multiples of yours.
By the way, I had a similar type noise in my 16V BX and whilst you may both be correct with what this noise is, mine was also the pipe where it connects to the manifold that has the springs etc incorporated with it. It was removed & refitted and then my cat started to rattle. I took the car for a long hard run (about 800 klms round trip) and the following day the resonating had gone.
Only reason I can think was that heat & flexing over the period of time of the drive may have reset the core of the cat back into position; that was about 8 months ago & it hasn't rattled since. May be worth a thought.
Alan S
Tariq
My Cars:

Post by Tariq »

Thanks guys,
Iam gona check the gases before i fork out for a new cat.....but by the way i think....i have found a cheap place for cats it is in Norwich though!
http://www.fastfit.com/justcats.html
Have a look if you like....but having neva been there i cant say if they any good but they are cheaper buy some margin though.
Plus fitting is only £30+VAT any cat!!
Not bad i think i hope this information was useful.
I keep you posted if my car has had a cat problem or not!
Kind Regards & Many Thanks
Tariq
T.
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Tariq,
I have just had a look at the site; looks good but beware the dreaded word "from" it can cover a multitude of sins usually that if you own a rare model Lada they can supply for that price.
Good stuff if they are for real & need a cat though.
Alan S