Xantia 110 Hdi - funny noise

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

neilminto

Xantia 110 Hdi - funny noise

Post by neilminto »

My 18000 mile, 1 yr old Xantia Hdi 110 sometimes makes a strange gruff 'buzzing' noise once its run a few miles (10 plus). The noise is not engine speed related - and is not either of the cooling/air con fans. (Yes I've checked the fans physically - I know the aircon comes on on 'demist' even if its not on at the switch!) Its definitely an electrical component, in my opinion - though I may be wrong. It definitely doesn't vary with vehicle sped, engine load etc and is best heard stationary at idle , when it is intrusive. The noise goes off a couple of seconds after the engine is turned off - if the key is turned slowly, it is clear that the noise goes off at the same stage the stop solenoid comes in. If the engine is re-started immediately, the noise is gone, though later recurs.
Citroen dealer I use agrees the noise is there, but can't locate it - neither they nor I can make it do it on command, so I have sympathy with them.
Any thoughts? Could this be the EGR valve? I've heard of another Hdi engine that was described as having a noise like a bee in a bottle, which was a faulty EGR valve?
Or something to do with hydraulics??
Thanks
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

It could be the pressure regulator in the hydraulics system, although this makes a sound that I can best describe as "posh slurping". On the other hand, it could also be the fuel pump, the combination of common rail and electronics means that these are electical, rather than run from the cam belt, and thus are independant of engine speed.
Just a thought, have you checked if it's the internal ventilation fan, rather than a cooling fan ? On my old Xantia, it turns off when the ignition is off. It could be something caught in the system ( eg. paper etc. ).
Let us know..
Mat.
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

I had a similar noise from my XM TD12 ('93)and was told that it came from a vacuum pump located somewhere around the scuttle (diesels don't generate any inlet manifold vacuum).
//NiSk
neilminto

Post by neilminto »

Thanks for suggestions so far - its definitely not the internal (ie heater) fan and I'm told the test for the pressure regulator is to try to 'provoke' the noise by repaetedly pressing the brakes - which on mine doesn't produce any noises. So probably not that either. Could be vac pump - I'l mention that to the garage - I did wonder about fuel pump but isn't that mechanical? Anyone had any experience of this EGR thingy noise?
neilminto

Post by neilminto »

Just an update on this one - which was finally sorted by the Cit dealer. the vibration was a fuel return line - in the ofside rear passenger footwell- resonating. The cure was a new diesel lift pump -not sure why, something to do with fuel cooling? butit was under warranty and it worked. No noise since. Thanks for the suggestions. Neil
alexx
My Cars:

Post by alexx »

NiSk,
Why do you need a vacuum pump in XM, since the brakes are hydraulic?
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

Some Citroen diesels (eg later Xantias) have a vacuum pump driven off the end of the camshaft, to operate the cold start mechanism and egr valve. Its not connected with the brakes in any way.
Nick
rmunns
My Cars: 2019 C5 Aircross 2litre diesel, auto.
2018 C4 Pic2 Spacetourer auto. Seems nice so far.
2019 C4 Cactus manual. Didn't like it, lots of niggling points. sold.
2011 C4 Picasso excl. - shaping up to be a disaster, bought June 2019. P/X'd
2009 Citroen C5 X7 exclusive, auto, LHD, 207500km (129000miles) now sold
Citroen Xsara Picasso excl. 2004 2.0 Hdi, RHD, 64000miles. (sold)
Citroen C3 Picasso excl. 2016. sold.
Two Xantias, one petrol, one diesel. sold.

In the past: Renault 16 (in about 1977, for a year). With front pass. seat out transported full bathroom suite from Cambridge to Derby!)
Renault 4TL (in 2011, for a year)

Post by rmunns »

I know it's a long time since this posting, but I've just found it and it seems to perfectly sum up what I get with my year 2000 Hdi90 (49000miles).
Can anyone throw any further light on this? Can I safely ignore it if indeed the conclusions drawn are correct?
rmunns
My Cars: 2019 C5 Aircross 2litre diesel, auto.
2018 C4 Pic2 Spacetourer auto. Seems nice so far.
2019 C4 Cactus manual. Didn't like it, lots of niggling points. sold.
2011 C4 Picasso excl. - shaping up to be a disaster, bought June 2019. P/X'd
2009 Citroen C5 X7 exclusive, auto, LHD, 207500km (129000miles) now sold
Citroen Xsara Picasso excl. 2004 2.0 Hdi, RHD, 64000miles. (sold)
Citroen C3 Picasso excl. 2016. sold.
Two Xantias, one petrol, one diesel. sold.

In the past: Renault 16 (in about 1977, for a year). With front pass. seat out transported full bathroom suite from Cambridge to Derby!)
Renault 4TL (in 2011, for a year)

Post by rmunns »

No comments on this? I am quite concerned and would appreciate some feedback, please.
marsalek
My Cars: Xantia X2 HDi109
C5 X7 HDi240

Post by marsalek »

neilminto wrote:Just an update on this one - which was finally sorted by the Cit dealer. the vibration was a fuel return line - in the ofside rear passenger footwell- resonating. The cure was a new diesel lift pump -not sure why, something to do with fuel cooling? butit was under warranty and it worked. No noise since. Thanks for the suggestions. Neil
Hi guys,
the lift pump was neither the wrongdoer nor its change cured the symptoms for good :-(

The real cause is the pressure valve in the diesel filter housing. With time it gets more play and starts to vibrate, causing the vibratoins in the return pipe. Changing the lift pump alters the damping in the fuel system, but as soon as the pressure valve gets mor play, it starts vibrating again. The only cure is to change the whole filter housing, as one cannot buy the valve separately. I found on service.citroen.com, that earlier Xantias had a vibration damper on the return pipe mounted near the fuel tank. That is worth trying. I myself also changed the lift pump and also got the vibrations again after some time. Nowadays I do not care anymore :-)

Karel
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Ah, interesting.... I knew the filter can vibrate, making quite a racket (mine does this at switch on, never really changed in the last 50k miles though!), and the solution is to replace the filter unit complete, but I never knew why. Now I do! I have previously suggested tht the noise rmunns can hear might be the filter vibrating - mine appears to do it too sometimes when running, but I've never bothered to investigate it. Anyway, I can't hear it at the moment over the whining of the alternator :roll:
Richard W
boristhespie
My Cars:

Post by boristhespie »

Have a buzzing on my C5 up at the right rear of the engine near the brake reservoir. It is one of the black circular thingies with wires (technical I know) I used a screwdriver on it to my lug to confirm it. Try there.
C'est pas possible!