advised to sell

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

stoddys
My Cars:

advised to sell

Post by stoddys »

Hi folks, I have just had a head gasket done at 78.000 and i'm told it is the second time.
An old mechanic frend of mine said that once they go on the citroen zx td, it will happen every 12 to 18 months, and advised me to sell!
should I listen?
chris
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

The diesel in the ZX is the same, basically, as that in the BX 19 and early Xantias. If the head had been planed at the same time as the head gasket is changed, and the block face - cylinders are square, there's no reason why it should require replacement again unless some external force acts upon it (like a burst water hose).
//NiSk
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

I did a zx td head gasket about three year's or more ago, it had just over 100,000 on it, car is still owned by the same family member and still run's perfect.
Where the gasket has been changed twice at that mileage, it's not inconcievable that the first failure may have been caused by overheating, subsequent failure's being put down to possible poor repair work.
In overheating cases the head may have warped and require machining, if this is not done, and to a satisfactory standard then it will consume gasket's at an alarming rate.
Dave
stoddys
My Cars:

Post by stoddys »

thanks for your answers, fortunatly I saw the work being carried out and it was mechined to a mirror finish. Hopefully this will be the last one.
stoddy