Server Crash: 08 January 2010

Forum News, Announcements and any issues you're having with the forum

Moderator: myglaren

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

andmcit wrote:Been whacked out since about 7.00 pm

Nothing, not even a "contact system administrator" or whatever.
As far as Firefox was concerned the url didn't exist.

Andrew
Yes, well, I did say earlier that the host was still working on the issues we are having and there would likely be another outage. I expected (and was told) it would be overnight but they obviously took Sunday evening as being as near to overnight as mattered. Maybe thy thought we'd all be watching snooker :lol: :roll:

I'll call them later today and get the latest news...

If it's not certifibaly positively resolved, I'll be asking for a new server...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Just been on to the host.

They said the node had now been stable for a couple of days so all should be OK. When I advised it was down for six hours last evening, that put a different complexion on things...

Upshot is that if it crashes again. We'll be moving to a new server...

Sadly, this'll nmean yet more downtime as I'll have to recover data from this server and configure a new one...

I'll keep you posted...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

CitroJim wrote:Upshot is that if it crashes again. We'll be moving to a new server...
It was out when I tried at about 10:00am today...
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Paul-R wrote:
CitroJim wrote:Upshot is that if it crashes again. We'll be moving to a new server...
It was out when I tried at about 10:00am today...
I saw briefly. Trouble is, I'm at work at present Paul.
Jim

addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Clearly this server is an exhibitionist. It keeps doing the equivalent of "Look at me" nudie runs around the block, and - shame upon us - we all linger to watch...
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

It's certainly craving attention, I know that :twisted:

It's getting it too...

From a very large hammer if I had the choice.... :evil:
Jim

HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

This same issue was occuring on another forum I use , the host continually made excuses but nothing changed. I fear the only way you can resolve it is to change host's again. Afterall , 95% of all forums have no problem at all.
Now using '00 Xantia LX HDI, pov spec :(
My past Citroens :-
'00 Xantia SX HDI, now dead due to accident :(
'99 Xantia HDI 110 Exclusive, RIP :(
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
'79 CX2400 Pallas (scrapped :( )
& a couple of Peugeots !
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

That's exactly what will be done...
Jim

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

The server went down again this afternoon. Called the host and asked for them to make good the promise of a new server please.

No can do. The person who told me this was apparently not authorised to make such promises.

I then listened to a load of waffle and bollocks about how their techs were close to getting a "handle" on the problem and that all wold be good soon...

I asked them to cut the BS and come clean as politely as I could. I just got an anodyne "Yes, we have a problem but quite frankly we've not got a clue really.." To cap it all they.d closed the original support ticket as resolved...

I'm beginning to lose the will. My stress levels are building dangerously over this and I find I'm watching the forum constantly, even at work, just waiting for it to crash. The time I'm wasting listening to music on hold calling the host and the cost of it is really beginning to annoy me now. I know every bloody tune the host uses on their music on hold :twisted:

It's now invading and dominating my life. That's not good.

Please continue to bear with me on this. I know how frustrating and annoying it is and I don't need to be told. If you find it frustrating, try it from my end of things.

I will be demanding a replacement server shortly. If the forum goes down for a lengthy period, it will be because I'm still trying to sort things out.

The temptation is very strong now to say "F it" and pull the plug but I'll not do that if it can possibly be avoided.
Jim

admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

Hi Jim
Glad to see you are on the case,sorry to hear how much hassle its causing you :cry: :cry:

Just as an idea if it should go down for a lengthy period is your v6 website/forum going to be available to us mortals who run around in less thirsty cars :wink: or could we migrate back to Xantia forum(sorry forgot its exact name :oops: )

Colin
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Ahhhh come on Jim - please plug it in properly now - we have had our share of fun :lol: :lol: :lol:
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

AndersDK wrote:Ahhhh come on Jim - please plug it in properly now - we have had our share of fun :lol: :lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: If only i could Anders. I don't think the host will let me in their datacentre. It's in Leeds and that's in Yorkshire which means I need a visa to visit that place :lol: :lol:

Colin, no, sadly XantiaV6, as is the BXC share the same server :cry:

I have a possible contingency but it'll be slow. Better than nothing though...
Jim

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

This has been posted on the Host's Incident Tracker page:

Sums it up fairly well :roll:
Jim

Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

How about we all drive down and blockade their offices until they sort it out? :)

That's what a load of RedBus' customers did when they lost power to a couple of floors and refused to keep customers informed or even answer the phones.
The directors of many of the affected companies stormed their offices and refused to leave until they'd gotten answers and a resolution.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Xac wrote:How about we all drive down and blockade their offices until they sort it out? :)
And lob dead spheres at them :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jim