Difficulties with AOL, Especially New Members.

Forum News, Announcements and any issues you're having with the forum

Moderator: myglaren

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Difficulties with AOL, Especially New Members.

Post by CitroJim »

For reasons that I don't yet fully understand, The AOL mail system is rejecting all mail from the forum.

This means that any new members who use AOL and try to sign up to this forum will never receive their activation email and thus will never be able to activate their newly created accounts.

This seems to only affect AOL but I'm watching carefully the bounce messages the FCF Postmaster send to me.

For any AOL member who cannot activate, please send an email to help (at) frenchcarforum.co.uk with details of your username and we'll manually activate you.

Note that the email we send in reply will not originate from the forum so should get through.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

AOL fully deserves its nickname of AOHell.

More trouble than it's worth.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Jim I used to have the same problem, but it was caused because my mail server was at home, so sending from a home broadband ip address which are generally blocked to prevent spambots.
I bought an AuthSMTP account and in exchange set up a connection to send any AoL etc mails through them.
After moving to O2, who block outbound port 25, the AuthSMTP account has been a saviour as they accept mail on other ports so for £14 a year I can continue to send emails :)

I take it the forum mail server is on the same box as the web server or at least in the same IP range, so for AoL to be blocking it would be a strange thing indeed!

Checking http://www.mxtoolbox.com you're only on one blacklist:
NOMOREFUNN LISTED IP not supposed to be routed. See Detail Bogon List v2.0 08 APR 2003 Rob Thomas bogon list 2.0 1055973600
Return codes were: 127.0.0.9

I doubt AoL use nomorefunn though.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
Welshy_Pete
My Cars: 306 hdi 1999 + 306 hdi 2000

Re: Difficulties with AOL, Especially New Members.

Post by Welshy_Pete »

Ive been with Aol since 2001 to 2012. Basicly they have gone aload of crap now so stay well clear of them. Im about to change so somebody else now its well over due.

Im going to Bt more then likley due to were I live I cant get certon isp deals so Bt will be best for my option.