Xantia - Suspension drop on start-up

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Rory
My Cars:

Xantia - Suspension drop on start-up

Post by Rory »

When parked the suspension on our 1996 1.9TD Xantia stays up (unlike our old BX) until it is restarted at which time the back of the car drops like a stone to the lowest level before returning to the correct height after 20 sec or so. Everything else brakes, suspension and steering wise seems fine.
Assuming this is not normal (its always done it for the 4 months we've had the car) can anyone point me in the right direction.
Regards
Rory
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

The reason your Xantia stays up is because it is fitted with anti-sink valves and sphere. When you start the car, normal pressure builds up and releases the anti-sink valves. The car then drops due to apparent leakage from the rear spheres.
Depending on the time lapse between when you leave the car and when that awfull sinking feeling occurs, the situation could be due to normal wear (if its after a few hours) or dire leakage through the rear brake distibution valve (if its after a few minutes).
There are also other components that leak in the hydraulic system (main brake valve, the rear cylinders themselves) so if you are troubled by the problem, start looking for LHM leaks through the return pipes to the reservoir!
//NiSk
Richard W
My Cars:

Post by Richard W »

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
The reason your Xantia stays up is because it is fitted with anti-sink valves and sphere. When you start the car, normal pressure builds up and releases the anti-sink valves. The car then drops due to apparent leakage from the rear spheres.
Depending on the time lapse between when you leave the car and when that awfull sinking feeling occurs, the situation could be due to normal wear (if its after a few hours) or dire leakage through the rear brake distibution valve (if its after a few minutes).
There are also other components that leak in the hydraulic system (main brake valve, the rear cylinders themselves) so if you are troubled by the problem, start looking for LHM leaks through the return pipes to the reservoir!
//NiSk
Hi
I have had my Xantia for around 18 months and started with loads of silly little problems but we are getting on ok now after 60,000 miles, however something to do with the anti-sink has me puzzled. What is it for I cant see the benefit of it,and it just seems to cause trouble.
If I run my car for any length of time on the motorway the ride height increases, and doesn't drop for several hours, this is not a major problem other than it slightly affecting stability i suspect, on starting on a morning in raises to its normal height and if just driven for a few miles is ok. the concern I have is that I tow a caravan with the car so the whole outfit stray's from being level.
Any idea's why this happens and what I can do about it anyone?

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size=2 id=quote>
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Richard, your problem will more than likely be a stiffening of the levers and pivot's controling the height corrector(s) because of rusting, anti-sink only comes into play at rest.
Clock this thread for a few word's on anti-sink.
http://www.andyspares.com/discussionfor ... PIC_ID=848
Dave