Xsara with Pioneer DEH 2300 losing presets

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Jacko
My Cars:

Xsara with Pioneer DEH 2300 losing presets

Post by Jacko »

In my Citroen Xsara (Mk1) I have recently replaced the factory radio/tape unit with a Pioneer DEH2300 CD/radio. The changeover went OK with no wiring or installation problems. The unit powered up and worked fine, radio stations preset, sounds good.
But if the ignition is turned fully off for about 3 minutes there's a relay somewhere under the dash that distinctly clicks, then if you turn the ignition on and the unit back on all the presets are lost. Also what's strange is before with the old unit if you turned the ignition fully off, the unit turned off. With the Pioneer unit if you turn the ignition fully off it still plays until the relay clicks, then goes off.
Is the only way round this to wire up a fused live supply directly from the battery?
Any help would be greatly appreciated guys.
gjb02
My Cars:

Post by gjb02 »

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
In my Citroen Xsara (Mk1) I have recently replaced the factory radio/tape unit with a Pioneer DEH2300 CD/radio. The changeover went OK with no wiring or installation problems. The unit powered up and worked fine, radio stations preset, sounds good.
But if the ignition is turned fully off for about 3 minutes there's a relay somewhere under the dash that distinctly clicks, then if you turn the ignition on and the unit back on all the presets are lost. Also what's strange is before with the old unit if you turned the ignition fully off, the unit turned off. With the Pioneer unit if you turn the ignition fully off it still plays until the relay clicks, then goes off.
Is the only way round this to wire up a fused live supply directly from the battery?
Any help would be greatly appreciated guys.

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size=2 id=quote>The problem is down to the ISO connector, Citroen in there infinte wisdom have decided to wire the perm and ign positive wires the wrong way round, for any other stereo other than the one that is factory fitted. This has only happened recently, I found out because my 2000 Saxo had the same problem. It is just a case of transposing the two wires in the connector. And Bobs your uncle, no more preset loss. Remember to either disconnect the battery or remove the radio fuse before playing around with live wires. The owners manual will show you the layout of the ISO connector so you know which two to swap. Pins 4 & 7, need to be swapped, you can get them out of the plastic surround and then replug them in the correct places for your Pioneer. Hope this helps.
Gareth
Jacko
My Cars:

Post by Jacko »

Thanks Gareth....
The interconnector that comes with the Pioneer unit to connect to the Citroen multi-pin connector has two wires with male and female plugs, one red the other yellow, you just change them over and that achieves the same result but without changing any pin connections.
Pete.
gjb02
My Cars:

Post by gjb02 »

[/quote]Not a problem Pete, my pleasure.
Gareth