The FCF is Dead, Long Live the FCF

Forum News, Announcements and any issues you're having with the forum

Moderator: myglaren

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

The phpBB3 board is back up again now. I had it down this evening to update the contents so it was an exact reflection of the test phpBB2 board. Since then I've hardly been home and left it to update whilst i went shopping and doing a bout of Dad's Taxi..

I don't like the style of phpBB3. Although there is a quasi-phpBB2 look available I don't think much to that either. Club XM currently uses it and it's a good place to see it in action. For the range of phpBB3 styles have a look at the Styles Demos on the phpBB Site. I don't like any of them :twisted:

The main thing is performance and simplicity for me. I think phpBB3 is slow and clunky and does not offer a forum like this any great advantage.

There is no problem whatsoever in me keeping phpBB2 boards running for a long time yet in a technical sense. Although formally unsupported by phpBB now, they're in no danger of suddenly stopping working or having a massive flaw exposed. It's a good, mature product and still well supported by third parties. Ours are also well patched against spammers and therein a question mark still hangs over phpBB3.

My choice would be to remain with phpBB2.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

I would have said stick with the old model (I also prefer my mk1 Xantia to my mk2).
But...I have always been a bit unhappy about external hosting of photos, as after a while, they tend to get lost, so on that basis, maybe a tentative vote for bb3
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

An attachment mod could always be applied to PHPBB2.
The thing is, with offsite hosting, you have total control over your images, with forum hosting the images are held on the server, taking up space (which can cost money) and in my experience of using PHPNuke can sometimes become orphaned, so they lose the links on the forum to them, but they still take up space on the server.
Also, there's the added security risk because there would have to be a folder open for uploads on the server.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Xac wrote:...but they still take up space on the server.
Also, there's the added security risk because there would have to be a folder open for uploads on the server.
And a lot of space they can take up too. Disk space on the host server is at a premium and after accommodating databases (with room to grow), mail and the log files, there is not much space for image storage and what is there is needed for avatars.

The security side is also a good reason. Best always to host images on a separate server. I host my own and I'm happy for anyone else to use my server as an image host on request. I have loads of space..
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Paul-R
Donor 2023
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

I had a look at the different skins and, to be honest, they're pretty much either a medocre bunch or violently objectionable.

With two exceptions.

The first is for the wrong reason. Whoever designed Celtic dreams needs to be sectioned. How could anyone think that a brown background provides enough contrast againt black writing!

The only decent one of the lot is SE Square Left and, if we have to move to BB3 can I put a request in for that please?

One thing that you'll have to test is whether putting a different skin on slows the forum too much. Another forum I post on became unusable a few years back when they tried a different skin.

Do I feel another test forum in the wind Jim?
Last edited by Paul-R on 08 Oct 2009, 16:01, edited 1 time in total.
Paul-R
Donor 2023

Post by Paul-R »

-Post deleted-
Last edited by Paul-R on 08 Oct 2009, 16:01, edited 1 time in total.
Paul-R
Donor 2023

Post by Paul-R »

Where's my edit button? Is this a symptom of BB2 gradually dissolving into unuseablility?

Can you also delete my stupid post immediately above quoting my own post please?
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Paul-R wrote:Where's my edit button? Is this a symptom of BB2 gradually dissolving into unuseablility?

Can you also delete my stupid post immediately above quoting my own post please?
It's the Forum Announcements section (took me a while to figure out that was the reason) where we have the ability to reply but not edit.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
Paul-R
Donor 2023

Post by Paul-R »

Xac wrote:It's the Forum Announcements section (took me a while to figure out that was the reason) where we have the ability to reply but not edit.
Ah yes, at the bottom right of the opening page of this section

You cannot edit your posts in this forum

I wonder why? Bad news for fumble fingerers like me who only see the errors after they've clicked the submit button
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Paul-R wrote:I wonder why? Bad news for fumble fingerers like me who only see the errors after they've clicked the submit button
My fault :oops: I will sort that next time I'm logged into the ACP...
Jim

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

The edit button should now be available. Sorry about that :oops:
Jim

Paul-R
Donor 2023

Post by Paul-R »

CitroJim wrote:The edit button should now be available. Sorry about that :oops:
Thanks.

Evidence of bod spilling now eliminated. :lol:

davetherave
My Cars:

Post by davetherave »

Perhaps a vote would be in order!
Im pretty happy with phpBB2, when using the test ones phpBB3 did seem slower.
And external picutre hosting suits me fine too!
The old saying "If it aint broke..." comes to mind!
(95) XM Silver 2.1td Exclusive.
(87) Cx 2.5 DTR T1 undergoing major cosmetic surgery.
GPZ500s
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I too am in favour of each of us hosting our own images. Cuts down on bandwidth for the forum, saves server space and avoids the problems mentioned by Xac.
Paul-R
Donor 2023

Post by Paul-R »

myglaren wrote:I too am in favour of each of us hosting our own images. Cuts down on bandwidth for the forum, saves server space and avoids the problems mentioned by Xac.
On the other hand once they've been uploaded then they're available as long the board continues. No problems with broken links or hosting companies changing some minute part of their structure making them unfindable.