The FCF is Dead, Long Live the FCF

Forum News, Announcements and any issues you're having with the forum

Moderator: myglaren

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

The FCF is Dead, Long Live the FCF

Post by CitroJim »

At long last, the FCF (and BXC) are both in the process of being rebuilt on a new, dedicated server. In the process, both forums will be upgraded to the latest phpBB3 forum software and the forum databases will move from under my stairs to the dedicated server.

The old webserver proved unsuitable for the upgrade and also proved resistant to hosting the forum databases, which currently reside under my stairs!

I have begun the work to migrate the forums and progress is good. I am leaving the old forums running until I am fully content that the new forums are running smoothly and properly before doing the final cut-over and pulling the plug on the old web server and databases.

No data will be lost and most (if not all) personal settings will be preserved. Some avatars may be lost.

I envisage only one major loss of forum access for a period of up to 24 hours whilst the final cut-over is made. This will be the time that DNS changes will take to replicate around the world and to do the final database transfers. I will give full prior warning and post messages on both servers to explain what is going on.

Prior to this, some slow running of the forums may be experienced whilst test database transfers are made between servers. I will endeavour to carry out this work in the early mornings when the forums are quiet but there may be instances when a database transfer needs to be made at other times.

There will be ample opportunity to see and try the new forums before the final cut-over whilst they operate on their temporary domains during work in progress.

Work in progress may be viewed at any time by visiting the following sites:

http://www.xantiav6.co.uk/forum" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for the developing new FCF and

http://www.xantiaactiva.co.uk/forum" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for the developing new BXC (not yet there)

Please be aware these are only temporary domains and purely for the development forums. When the final cut-over is made, the forums will be found in the usual place.

Please remember these are development forums only and no live posts should be made as they will be lost. I also cannot guarantee what you'll see when you do log on!

I will post regular updates here in this thread. All questions and comments very welcome.

This will be keeping me busy for a while so I may not be quite so active on the forum as usual.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

I look forward to it with mixed feelings.

At work an awful lot of sites are filtered out and unavailable but I have found a way around it by going directly to each of the sections. Let's hope I'll still be able to do that after the upgrade.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
Paul-R
Donor 2023

Post by Paul-R »

And that I'll be able to upload my avatar at long last!
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

So who is Ricardo? Never heard of him!

Andrew

red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

andmcit wrote:So who is Ricardo? Never heard of him!
Im guessing he must have set up the PHPBB on the new webserver?
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Ricardo automotive engineering.
Last edited by myglaren on 16 Sep 2009, 22:52, edited 1 time in total.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

andmcit wrote:So who is Ricardo? Never heard of him!
ricardo is just a temporary admin login on the virgin phpBB3 board that's there at the moment.

It comes from Sir Harry Ricardo, the high priest of the internal combustion engine and he of the Ricardo Comet combustion chamber in all XUD engines.

I'm reading his biography at the moment and when I built the initial test forum, his name was the one on my mind when prompted for a temporary admin username.

Tomorrow, if all goes to plan, he'll be gone and all of you will be able to log in and look at a phpBB3 board converted from a backup taken of the live forum this morning. That's if it all goes to plan... I have it working here but need to wait until the forum is quiet to upload it to the webserver. If I do it now, I'll kill the forums for half an hour or so because the file transfer robs every last bit of bandwidth on my uplink.

Paul, yes, you will be able to upload your avatar. It was the first piece of functionality I tested.

You should also be able to get in using the same methods on the old board when the new goes live. Only the IP aaddress will be different and even then, only the last octet.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

Aaah! :lol: :lol:
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Finkels are crossed.

We've been on the newer phpBB software for some while on another forum; there were a few snags but it now meshes quite happily. One "catch" on the defaults, seems to be that links don't open in a new window unless you change that characteristic.
pug_owner2002
My Cars:

Post by pug_owner2002 »

I like it!
Seems much quicker too.

Keep up the good work Jim!
R Reg Phase 2 306 DTurbo (Blaze Yellow) (Sold)
X Reg Phase 3 306 1.4 LX (Sold)
03 Renault Scenic Dynamique +
03 Seat Leon 1.9 TDi
52 Nissan Almera 1.8 sport+
Paul-R
Donor 2023

Post by Paul-R »

CitroJim wrote:You should also be able to get in using the same methods on the old board when the new goes live. Only the IP aaddress will be different and even then, only the last octet.
Yes, adding "viewforum.php?f=3" gets me to the Citroen section.

Can I say that I find it much easier to scan down the listings on this version of the board than on the new one? Will there be any alternative skins for those of us not impressed by the new layout?

Paul-R
Donor 2023

Post by Paul-R »

Damn.

Just tried to post in the new forum and access is denied to me for logging in.

Looks like I'll just be one of the nameless "guests" during the day!

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Paul,

I've just reset your password on the new board. I'll drop you a quick PM in a few moments to tell you what it is.

As will be seen, the first version of a fully working board is now up. I'm sure it has bugs and I'm not very plesed with the speed of it just yet.

Other skins will be available. I'm not to happy with the default but you can switch over to a skin that looks much like the phpBB2 one. I'll set it up later and you can then have a look at it.

I'll also be calling for views on the new board soon and if enough people really hate it, then we can always stay with what we know and love...
Jim

Paul-R
Donor 2023

Post by Paul-R »

Hi Jim

Thanks for doing that but unfortunately it's not a wrong password problem, it's the act of clicking on the "login" button that is barred.

Regarding the look, as I said above i prefer the simplicity of the two line summary of each post compared to the rectangular boxes surrounding each post in the list.

Also, although I'm not able to test it, what colour are new posts being highlighted or flagged in? Something in yellow always looks good to my eye.

Paul-R
Donor 2023

Post by Paul-R »

Back at home now I am able to login to the new site.

You're right about it being a bit on the slow side. I also noticed a problem when using the backspace key on the keyboard (which I do a lot) to return to the previous page. Quite a few times I got a "Webpage has expired" message.