Xantia "self raising" at traffic lights

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

andyturner
My Cars:

Xantia "self raising" at traffic lights

Post by andyturner »

My 96 Xantia (non-activa) sometimes raises and lowers itself when I am stopped at lights etc. it seems to go through phases of doing this for a few days then not. Does anyone know if this is an indication of a fault that may cause other problems? System has been flushed, no debris found, new citroen spheres all round 42K on clock. Ride quality is variable too but not directly related to self raising.
apt
hardmanm

Post by hardmanm »

If when you stop you brake fairly sharply and then hold the brakes on, it is normal for the car to then rise up.
This is because the rear suspension geometry means that the suspension sinks as you brake and then remains sunk when the car is stopped, the height corrector then applies more pressure to the rear suspension to correct the height. Then if you release the pedal the car rises up, then of course the height corrector corrects the pressure again as the car is now too high!
Very entertaining for following drivers but perfectly normal. To avoid this simply release the brake pedal as you stop and then re-apply it if stopped on a hill.
PS Moving to the US soon and will be forced to get a normal car, not very happy about the prospect. Last Citroens imported to the US were DSs and SMs - suppose an SM might be fun?
Mark
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

Hi Andy - My Xantia does exactly the same. Also, being an estate, if I switch off, then unload, the rear rises about three inches and there it stays until the engine is started again. Having two cars, it sits up for days sometimes.
andyturner
My Cars:

Post by andyturner »

My concern is that the car does not always perform these antics. Weeks may pass with no activity then it suddenly starts up again. I thought it may be an indication of a sticking valve or something
AT
apt