can't get it up!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

porgy

can't get it up!

Post by porgy »

After changing the "O" ring on the little plastic cup underneath the accumulator on my xantia, started the car and both red lights continue to stay on and moving the height position lever has no effect.
Whats happened here? All suggestions welcome.
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

Keep the engine running and open the pressure release screw on the regulator for a few seconds.
porgy

Post by porgy »

Forgot to mention, I've been trying that several times now.
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Sound's like you may have got air into the hydraulic pump, if so it now need's to be primed, take the intake pipe off at the reservoir and pour clean LHM down it to fill it and the pump, replace it on the reservoir before starting, and have the pressure release screw open.
Be very carefull not to get dirt in it.
Don't keep on running the engine unless you can be sure the pump is working, look in the reservoir for return flow.
If the power steering is seperate from rest of system start turning the steering as the engine start's.
Power steering is seperate if there are two steel high pressure pipe's coming from the top of the hydraulic pump.
Dave
porgy

Post by porgy »

Thanks for your suggestions.
I've tried turning the steering whilst starting the engine.
There is a return flow, but on further investigation I've noticed that the power steering is very heavy and the brakes are almost non-existant. I'll try priming the pump as you suggest.
thanks
George
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Hang on there George, if there is indeed a return flow then the pump is already pumping, the priming of a pump is only done to get pumping started, if it is'nt pushing fluid out because it's got air in it then nor will it suck fluid in to continue the cycle.
You don't say what year your car is, wether it has seperate power steering or not.
If as you say there is a return flow and yet no power to the steering then it must be a 93/94 car with a flow distributor valve.
With this particular set of circumstance's I would put the problem down to having disturbed something on the regulator, hence no pressure build up, and the return flow.
Let me explain what I mean by seperate power steering.
On later car's the hydraulic pump is basicly two pump's in one housing, sharing the same (suction pipe) intake and drive method but with two totaly seperate high pressure outlet's.
The outlet for the steering goes directly to the steering rack and from there back to the reservoir.
This situation on a later car WITH a return flow to the tank, the power steering would be unafected.
Early model's will only have a single high pressure output and will power the entire hydraulic system, this setup require's a flow distributor valve which favour's the braking circuit for obvious reasons.
Dave
porgy

Post by porgy »

Thanks for your ideas.
My car is a 1996 TD with the double pump, could one pump have develope airlocks and the other remain okay?
thanks
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Because they share the same intake, when one side begins pumping the other will not be far behind.
You have screwed the release screw back, if you loosened it that is, hope you have'nt removed it completely as bit's can fall out.
If the steering is not working then there is an air lock.
Dave
porgy

Post by porgy »

Thanks Dave for your input.
I've loosened and tightened the screw several times now. It's never been removed completly.
This heavy steering has confused me, as really except for the pump it is a seperate system from the suspension. I consider okay so the power steering has an airlock. But the fluid return from the regulator is working fine ( I removed the tube at the resevoire and watched this happening)so the fluid must be reaching the regulator in the first place.
When I replaced the "O" ring everthing went back correctly (I had undertaken this repair before at 110,000 miles).
I've covered just over 200,000 miles with this motor and undertaken many repairs and servicing, but this latest problem has me baffled.
George
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Your not the only one that's baffled now George, what's the situation with the brake's and suspension, are they up to speed.
You could try loosening the steering output union on the pump to see if that expells any air or oil, could be messy though.
Could also try shoving a trolley jack under front subframe, take some of the weight (not all) off the tyres and give the steering a workout.
Don't suppose you are using the car at the moment in this state.
Dave