Preview of the new FCF!

Forum News, Announcements and any issues you're having with the forum

Moderator: myglaren

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Preview of the new FCF!

Post by CitroJim »

I have done a test conversion of this forum as the next stage in the migration from our present phpBB2 sotware to phpBB3. I created the test Forum from the backup I took early on Sunday Morning.

You may have a look at it here but please bear in mind that it's only for test and comment and NOT for use although you are welcome to make test posts to see how everything works. Do log in and look at your user control panel. Your existing usernames and passwords are valid.

Please accept that it may not always be available and bugs will still be in it. Any bugs you find, please let me know. One issue is that not all smilies are available at the moment.

It is running on my webserver and if a few are logged in it may not be very fast. If it makes my server or internat link wilt too much I may have to pull it.

All comments welcome as I'll not migrate for real until everyone is happy with the new-look FCF.
Last edited by CitroJim on 16 Sep 2009, 12:40, edited 1 time in total.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Post by Deanxm »

Very smart, and i realy like this lay out now ive got used to it else where :D

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
citroen7
My Cars: 73 stag,86 bx gt 89 bxgti 90 bxgti 4x4 91 metor auto 97 p38 2004 c5 2.0 vtr 2006 c5 estate 1.6

Post by citroen7 »

looking good jim well done!
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

Just had a quick browse around and its looking good!
Some forums I've been on have 'looked' over complex due to the colour scheme and cluttered with buttons and closely located sections here, there and everywhere. No matter how IT literate you are, they're still hard to navigate :lol:

I was afraid that the upgrade to phpbb3 may bring a lot of this bumph and be like Vista is to XP :lol: It appears not, which is great :D Don't go overcustomising though Jim ;)
When Andrew is feeling his old self again, Im sure he could apply a subtle touch of his graphic desgin skillz :D
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
SLYTZD
My Cars: C4 Grand Picasso

Post by SLYTZD »

Looks good, glad to see the seach has been improved.
Simon

'96 Xantia Activa in Silver 95,000
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Thanks all :D

That's very positive thus far...

Don't worry, customisation will be kept low-key and whilst I've looked at alternative styles, farnkly most are absolutely vile :twisted:

One thing you can do though is switch between two styles. One is the default phpBB3 style called "prosilver" and the other is "subsliver2" which makes the forum look similar to the phpBB2 board you all know and love.

Choose the one you like best by clicking on the User Control Panel link in the top right corner and then clicking the Board Preferences link under options and selecting either prosilver or subsliver2 from the dropdown about half-way down.

What you choose for yourself does not affect anyone else.

Can someone try uploading an avatar please, to see if that works OK. Also try uploading an image as an attachment.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

I've stuck a couple of images up on the test forum :D
Uploaded rather quickly. If this feature was incorporated into the new forum, would the images be stored on your server or the webserver? How would that work with the whole limited space on webserver/draining on your home connection?
Linking with the file size upload limit, is there a way of getting the forum to auto resize the image if its too big to save the hassle of those that may find it a little difficult to do?
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Saw your images Kev. Great stuff :D

They're stored on the webserver and these is a set limit to how much space thay may occupy and an upload size limit for obvious reasons!

I am aware that there is an add-on to automatically resize large images and I'll be looking at that.

I've also added a bit of BBCode to handle the embedding of Youtube videos.

Have a look at Youtube embedded on the test FCF for a demo. The vid I used is poor but does the job!

Basically, to enbed you take the code after the equals sign in the youtube url ad pop it between the [media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v= and [/media] tags.

Note these tags appear in the new posting form.
Jim

anybloodybody
My Cars:

Post by anybloodybody »

Very pretty.
No lean machine